Author Topic: CoW Ep. 214: Banned Books Week – The Price of Stories  (Read 3259 times)

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
on: September 28, 2016, 09:52:26 PM
Episode 214: Banned Books Week – The Price of Stories by Shannon Connor Winward

• Narrated by Katherine Inskip
• Audio production by Jeremy Carter
• Banned Books Weeks 2016 photograph courtesy of Jeremy Carter
A Cast of Wonders Banned Books Week original!

Shannon Connor Winward is the author of Undoing Winter from Finishing Line Press. Her poems and stories appear in Analog, Pseudopod, Strange Horizons, Star*Line, Flash Fiction Online, The Pedestal Magazine, Gargoyle and PANK, and have been nominated, placed, or earned mention for many nifty awards. In between writing, parenting, and other madness, Shannon is also an officer for the Science Fiction Poetry Association, a poetry editor for Devilfish Review, and founding editor of Riddled with Arrows Literary Journal (set to debut in early 2017). Learn more on her website.

Katherine Inskip, assistant editor of Cast of Wonders, teaches astrophysics for a living and spends her spare time populating the universe with worlds of her own. She is addicted to chocolate and Japanese logic puzzles. You can follow her on Twitter or her website.

Mother is not the real librarian. You think she has always been here, but that’s the magic working.
The real librarian – the one who issued your first library card, painted castles in the reading room and taught you about elephants – she never existed, now. That’s why you don’t remember.
But don’t worry; she’ll be back.
Mother doesn’t come for the librarians.

Click here to listen to Episode 229
Click here to read the text of the story

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Learn more about Stop Hate and their work to challenge all forms of hate crime and discrimination based on any aspect of an individual’s identity.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tags: Banned Books Week, books, Cast of Wonders, censorship, erasure, Fairy Tales, gaslighting, Horror, Immersive Stories, Jeremy Carter, Katherine Inskip, literature, Memory, Shannon Connor Winward, Stop Hate, Wonder Tales, Young Adult fiction
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 12:44:34 PM by danooli »

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 12:46:17 PM
Note: This episode has been renumbered to be in line sequentially now, and the issue with not being able to download through your podcatcher should now be resolved. Thank you for sticking with us!

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 03:16:32 PM
This was a solid, twisty, little story.  I'm not sure I entirely followed it, but it was a good kind of "not sure I entirely followed it".  Very meta, very fun.

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 10:52:48 PM
The perpetuation of the cycle of abuse in this one was haunting. I was even ok with the use of second person.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”