Author Topic: Flash: Hunan Fare  (Read 6558 times)

Jim

• HP Lovecraft's 275,892nd biggest fan.
  • Matross
on: October 25, 2007, 10:52:27 AM
Flash: Hunan Fare
By John Hayes

Musical production by Toby Chappell — now available for your podcast soundtracking needs. Ask him while he’s feeling generous.

Story read by Ben Phillips

Pop some shrooms and get a load of this:

Each night I have the same dream. I am sitting on a white donkey and a noose fashioned from strong Asian hemp is tightened around my throat by six laughing women. The smile fades from the tallest woman and she leaps onto a hickory tree and scampers along a stout limb. Carla’s sister tosses the rope to the tall woman who knots it about the limb. I lean forward and shield the donkey’s eyes. A cowgirl removes a derringer lodged between her breasts. She places the weapon against the donkey’s head and shoots. The donkey falls and my body swings in the thin night air of the third moon of the fifth planet from Being, the blazing star.

My imaginary omnipotent friend is more real that your imaginary omnipotent friend.

goatkeeper

Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 02:11:35 AM
cliff notes please...? anyone?

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 07:06:05 PM
Wow, Pseudopod's really churning out the flash these days. 

Pretty surreal.  I'll need to listen to this one again.  Let me know if you come up with those cliffnotes, goatkeeper...

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007, 09:53:31 PM
I liked the surrealness of the story, but the title was somewhat misleading to me.  I was suspecting something to due with food. 

wakela

• Hipparch
    • Mr. Wake
Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 10:48:50 PM
They eat beetles all over Asia (though not just scooped off the ground).  So was the Hunan fare supposed to be the beetles?  Eating beetles was the only surreal aspect of the non-dream world, so maybe we should take that as literal.  Eat enough bad beetles and anyone would have dreams like this.

DarkKnightJRK

• Peltast
Reply #5 on: December 20, 2007, 03:16:17 AM
It's as if the author dropped some acid and wrote whatever he saw.

I liked it.

;D

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 04:41:31 PM
I liked it in a weird surreal way, but I'm not sure I really got it.  What's with the beetles?  Was this just a dream within a dream?

Millenium_King

• Lochage
    • Ankor Sabat
Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 10:39:06 PM
Eh.  Again: vivid and surreal, but very thin in the plot department.  I liked its imagery, but it just felt like the description of someone's dream.

Visit my blog atop the black ziggurat of Ankor Sabat, including my list of Top 10 Pseudopod episodes.