Author Topic: Should story publication dates be mentioned in the podcast?  (Read 3477 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
In discussion of "Me and My Shadow", someone mentioned that they wished they had known before listening that the story was over 20 years old, as it would have given them a different perspective on things.  I seconded the motion.  To my surprise, some other folks disagreed.

So I thought I'd make a poll to see what people think, just to satisfy my curiosity.  Steve is in no way obligated to obey the results.   :)

gelee

• Lochage
  • It's a missile, boy.
Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 05:45:19 PM
I feel like I should justify my vote:
I say yes because I do want to fix a time in my head when this was written.
I read "Stranger in a Strange Land" for the first time a couple of years ago.  If I hadn't known how old it was, I would have tossed it after about 4 pages and missed out on what has become my personal favorite sci-fi novel.  I knew what I was reading, and I was prepared for some dated ideas out society, Mars, and some rather dusty-sounding language.
I would hate to think that I'd critique a story as "dated, worn, derivative," and then have the story turn out to be 30 years old, when a given trope might still have been fresh or edgy.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 06:19:36 PM
It doesn't really matter to me either way :)  Although, usually when I hear the name of an author like Silverburg or Resnick, I expect it to be one of their older pieces.  So I guess it's pretty similar to getting a date at the beginning.