Author Topic: Pseudopod 68: Across The Darien Gap  (Read 7830 times)

Jim

• HP Lovecraft's 275,892nd biggest fan.
  • Matross
on: December 14, 2007, 06:47:29 PM
Pseudopod 68: Across The Darien Gap
December 14th, 2007
By Daniel Braum

Read by Ben Phillips

Alexa shuffles on the dance floor with the seven others we’re traveling with. Her long black hair is coated in sweat and Costa Rican grime. She smiles and for a moment I can believe she is carefree, despite all our running and fear.

She keeps her distance from a short Indian man who is spinning in circles with his arms extended and eyes closed. A big, almost toothless grin spreads on his wrinkled old face. He’s definitely had a few shots of guaro too many.

I picked up the seven others between here and San Antonio to bring us to nine. Makes us easier to mask. Harder to scrye. Now we look like just a bunch of nobodies heading to the gap, leisurely. Not in a beeline. Nothing that will call attention to our pursuers.

My imaginary omnipotent friend is more real that your imaginary omnipotent friend.

eytanz

Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 07:54:30 PM
I found very little to like in this story. The magic system was interesting but underdeveloped. Other than that - the plot made no sense (why was the protagonist trusted to do the job, when it was clear he neither possessed the knowledge or the ability to see it through?), but the worst thing was how thoroughly the girl was objectified. Not only was she treated as a commodity by the basic premise (smuggling her across the occult border), but she seemed to lack any sort of brains or volition. She was treated, and acted, like a child, except for the sex (god, I hope she wasn't a child).

The "wards" make no sense. Were they keeping her hidden? Or blocking enemies? How were they ever supposed to work if they didn't protect from above? Was the problem that they were supposed to be closed circles and the narrator left the water direction open? If that's the explanation, why wasn't he told always to make closed circles? Or was he told and he was too stupid to remember?

Beyond that - in the beginning of the story, the narrator says he was given the job by a guy named Tomas who "told [him] she was the daughter of some big time mystic, but not who", and then that "her dad was gone, and [they were] all she had". Then, in the end, he says that "her father" gave him the reviving stone, and in the instructions for disposal of her body Tomas calls her his daughter. So which is it? Note that the explanation can't be that Tomas was the father, kept it a secret and the narrator found out, since he called her his daughter in a direct quote. Unless someone has an explanation for this, I feel it was just sloppy writing.

Ben Phillips

• Lich King
  • Matross
    • Pseudopod
Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 04:42:20 PM
in the beginning of the story, the narrator says he was given the job by a guy named Tomas who "told [him] she was the daughter of some big time mystic, but not who", and then that "her dad was gone, and [they were] all she had". Then, in the end, he says that "her father" gave him the reviving stone, and in the instructions for disposal of her body Tomas calls her his daughter. So which is it? Note that the explanation can't be that Tomas was the father, kept it a secret and the narrator found out, since he called her his daughter in a direct quote. Unless someone has an explanation for this, I feel it was just sloppy writing.

And therefore also sloppy editing.  I'm embarrassed to say I noticed this, too, but only after having recorded enough of it to lack the time to fix it.  That's what I get for working at the last minute.

(why was the protagonist trusted to do the job, when it was clear he neither possessed the knowledge or the ability to see it through?)

The story does address this.  Apparently the idea is that he's under the radar and that's their only hope.  The Hobbit Strategy, I guess.

but the worst thing was how thoroughly the girl was objectified. Not only was she treated as a commodity by the basic premise (smuggling her across the occult border), but she seemed to lack any sort of brains or volition. She was treated, and acted, like a child, except for the sex (god, I hope she wasn't a child).

Yeah, whoever her father was, he seems to have failed to let her in on enough information to scare her properly into learning some sense.  She was probably doomed from the outset.

Thanks for the feedback!

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
  • Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!
Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 03:42:59 AM
I agree with Eytanz.
And I did get a little confused by the "I am your father" thing with Thomas.
All that aside, I really dug this story. I was annoyed that the girl didn't have more sense to be scared, but didn't mind that she was treated so 2 dimensionally because the story wasn't about her. I was fascinated by the world this took place in, and really enjoyed the pacing. The ending was also a treat in that he lost. Bad. No happy ending, near miss, or redemption. Just a total metaphysical pooch screw.
I don't suppose there's any more coming from this author, is there?

How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?

gelee

• Lochage
  • It's a missile, boy.
Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 02:06:21 PM
Not to pile on, but I found the storage poorly edited as well.
I got the sense that I was listening to an excerpt from a novel.  Is this supposed to be part of a larger body of work?  I felt like the author was referring to things I was supposed to understand, but didn't.  For example:  What the hell was that jaguar business all about?  What was the blue lizard dude in the jungle?  Where did the crazy indian go?  When they were in the bar, I thought he was part of the nine.
Nice use of language, and the dialogue was well written, but this one was just too shaky to stand on it's own.

eytanz

Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 03:58:13 PM
but didn't mind that she was treated so 2 dimensionally because the story wasn't about her.

It's not so much that she's a flat character. It's not even the fact she was hedonistic, enjoying dancing and sex and treating the whole thing as an extended Spring Break. Rather, what really bothered me about her is that she was so in love with the narrator. The combination of lack of any good judgement on her own and having given herself over so entirely to a male authority figure was just... blech.

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #6 on: December 18, 2007, 02:13:47 PM
Everyone's pretty much made most of my points.

I too would have liked to see the world's magic more developed.  I get that the author was trying to make it seem like a normal part of life, but because it was so normal, we didn't get enough to keep us interested.

Until Alexa died the second time, I was on board with the story, but that was too much of a letdown.  Not that there couldn't still be a good ending, but the formula of this story suggested that she comes back and they eventually live happily ever after (or one or both die/dies in another way later on).

*shrug*  Just didn't do it for me, either, though I'd like to see a longer version that might smooth out the bumps.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
  • Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!
Reply #7 on: December 18, 2007, 11:28:27 PM
Rather, what really bothered me about her is that she was so in love with the narrator. The combination of lack of any good judgement on her own and having given herself over so entirely to a male authority figure was just... blech.
Ok. I'll agree with you there. Nothing in the dialog suggested any reason for them to have fallen in love in such a situation.

How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #8 on: December 19, 2007, 06:14:00 AM
There were definitely some problems with this story that everyone else has already pointed out and that i mostly agree with (examples: the father thing and the partying on-the-run thing).  That said, I agree with Thaurismunths: there was something about this one that I enjoyed.  The pacing, narration, and language worked well for me, as did the way the story unfolded.  Unlike Listener, I think I actually got more into the story when Alexa died the second time (the narrator's trick of getting stuff out of the bag seemed kind of like, "Oh, by the way, I've got this healing magic thing in this bag that will cure ANYTHING -- sorry, I didn't mention it before -- I would've been disappointed if that had saved her).  So, despite some problems that the story had, I'd definitely be up for hearing more from this author. 

Chodon

• Lochage
  • Molon Labe
Reply #9 on: December 19, 2007, 04:54:24 PM
What the hell was that jaguar business all about?  What was the blue lizard dude in the jungle?  Where did the crazy indian go?  When they were in the bar, I thought he was part of the nine.
I was so confused at the end of this story, mostly for the reasons gelee already pointed out above, that took a lot away from what this story could have been.  The story seemed like it had tons of potential with all these questions that just ended up being left hanging.  Also, how do snakes and frogs fly to get past the wards?  What were the demons like that were hunting them?  Who some of the other nine (I think I only remember 3 or 4 being mentioned)?  Did this girl have any magical powers, or just the power of seduction and bad taste in men?  She took all kinds of crap from the narrator in life, why was she so pissed after she died?  I felt like this story was half finished and the parts of the plot that were supposed to tie in just didn't.

Those who would sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither.

DDog

• Matross
    • Twitter
Reply #10 on: January 08, 2008, 04:08:46 AM
This story was weird. The world-setting seemed spectacular but we didn't get enough of it; we didn't even get enough to really support the story. All it suggested to me was Latin American magical realism, and the "that was cool--where are you going with it? oh. nowhere." quality is exactly what I don't like about most of that genre.

So I second the comments that I wasn't really into this story but would happily hear more from the author, especially in a story worthy of its world.

Ask a Tranny Podcast
"Watching someone bootstrap themselves into sentience is the most science fiction thing you can do." -wintermute

Russell Nash

Reply #11 on: January 11, 2008, 02:07:41 PM
I'm really far behind on my PPs.  I think Thauri…… said most of my thoughts.  I really dug the atmosphere, but there were a ton of problems with the story itself.  I did like that he totally failed to save her.  I get so sick and tired of happy endings.  If characters don't fail once in a while, how can we ever have suspense?

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #12 on: October 13, 2009, 08:21:39 PM
I gave it a chance, but it just didn't grab my interest.

Millenium_King

• Lochage
    • Ankor Sabat
Reply #13 on: August 03, 2010, 10:14:02 PM
This one gets a negative reaction from me.  My main complaint is that it was difficult to follow.  I was never clear on who each character was, nor was I clear on the plot.  Some people describe the technique of just cutting right into all the spec-fic portions of a story with the nonchalance of commonplace events "immersive" - but I find that it's most often simply disorienting.  This one got hung up on a bunch of superfluous stuff - like the activities of the 9 (a number which the signifigance of I never fully grasped) at the bar.  The story itself seemed to comprise of the narrator killing the girl then apologizing to her ghost.  I would have cut it down to just that.  As it has been said famously: "Do it again, but half as long."

I wanted to add that I felt the "magic" part of this "magical realism" was  underdeveloped.  It was not carried out half as effectively as in "Love like Tunder" or "The Mother and the Worm."
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 10:18:24 PM by Millenium_King »

Visit my blog atop the black ziggurat of Ankor Sabat, including my list of Top 10 Pseudopod episodes.