Author Topic: Tried this one?  (Read 4893 times)

goatkeeper

on: January 15, 2008, 06:49:25 PM
Hey writers!  Throwin it out there- Drabblecast is always looking for stories, check out new submission guidelines

http://web.mac.com/normsherman/iWeb/Site/Submission%20Guidelines.html

Czhorat

• Peltast
Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 11:53:06 PM
Thanks for the reminder. I love the Drabblecast for its production value and very high fun-content. There are two things that push me away just a bit. One is the overall style of most of the stories you run. There are so many trick-ending stories, and those are tough to write well. At best they come across as clever, at worst as trying to be clever. My other quibble is with the intros. They are funny and well-produced, but can lean a bit too far into the sophomoric for my taste. Not all of us think we're creating Great Art, but that doesn't mean that we're not a tiny bit uncomfortable with the idea that our work will be introduced with a story about giant water bugs or something.

The Word of Nash is the word of Nash and it is Nash's word.

Kevin David Anderson

• Palmer
  • "He's Undead, Jim"
    • Kevin David Anderson
Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 01:29:59 AM
Hi Czhorat

I hear what you’re saying.

Just wanted to say that my two experiences as a drabblecast author were both rewarding and unique.  I’ve been on several different podcasts now and I can honestly say that I’ve never felt more apart of the team as I did with drabblecast.  I was surprised to get an email from the producer, after they accepted a story, basically asking me for my input on the production.  Other podcasts pretty much just buy your manuscript and you’re kind of at their mercy as to whether it’s going to be something you can be proud of.  The Escape Artists being the exception – They do a great job every time.  But with the drabblecast you really get a feeling of collaboration between writer, producer and editors.  It’s a unique experience. 

And yes, there are a fair amount of those surprise ending stories - both of my episodes being guilty of that.   But give episode  27- “Crazy” by Patricia Russo and an earlier episode # 18 “The One That Got Away”  by J. Alan Pierce, a listen. 

Those are two of my favorite episodes – no surprise endings – just a whimsically tone that I think sums up the drabblecast – mystical-crypto-surrealism.

I can’t speak for the drabblecast but I can say that if they really like your story I am sure they will work with you to produce an episode that you will be happy with.   

Czhorat

• Peltast
Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 11:05:52 AM
Thanks, Kevin. I'll consider it. Could I ask what their response time is like?

Chodon

• Lochage
  • Molon Labe
Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 03:06:46 PM
I checked out the drabblecast and as someone who hates almost everything I can honestly say I enjoy it.  The stories are fun.  I wholeheartedly recommend it.

The one with the tapeworm "the worm within" still makes me cringe when I think of it.  ::cringe::

Those who would sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither.

gelee

• Lochage
  • It's a missile, boy.
Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 03:53:24 PM
I'm a big fan of The Drabblecast.  Norm runs a lot of fun fiction, usually not too heavy, but the quality is consistantly high.  Response time is pretty quick, about two weeks in my case.

Kevin David Anderson

• Palmer
  • "He's Undead, Jim"
    • Kevin David Anderson
Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 11:52:28 PM
I just checked my submitt log and it looks like the first story I sent them got a responce in two days.  The second story took a little longer at 6 days. 

Czhorat

• Peltast
Reply #7 on: January 27, 2008, 08:30:50 PM
I just wanted to let you know that you talked me into it. I just submitted a story to The Drabblecast, partly because it's too short to do anything else with, and partly because of your recommendation, Kevin. Thanks.