Author Topic: PseudoPod 738: Bewitched  (Read 976 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
on: January 05, 2021, 02:27:33 PM
PseudoPod 738: Bewitched

Author: Edith Wharton
Narrators: Christiana Ellis and Dave Robison
Host: Shawn Garrett
Audio Producer: Chelsea Davis

“Bewitched” was first published in Pictorial Review, March 1925

Show Notes
The pre-episode warning excerpt is from the beginning of “The Electronic Plague” by Edward Hades and it first appeared in Weird Tales, April 1925. It is narrated by Dave Robison.

I

The snow was still falling thickly when Orrin Bosworth, who farmed the land south of Lone-top, drove up in his cutter to Saul Rutledge’s gate. He was surprised to see two other cutters ahead of him. From them descended two muffled figures. Bosworth, with increasing surprise, recognized Deacon Hibben, from North Ashmore, and Sylvester Brand, the widower, from the old Bearcliff farm on the way to Lonetop.

It was not often that anybody in Hemlock County entered Saul Rutledge’s gate; least of all in the dead of winter, and summoned  by Mrs. Rutledge, who passed, even in that unsocial region, for a woman of cold manners and solitary character. The situation was enough to excite the curiosity of a less imaginative man than Orrin Bosworth.

As he drove in between the broken-down white gate-posts topped by fluted urns the two men ahead of him were leading their horses to the adjoining shed. Bosworth followed, and hitched his horse to a post. Then the three tossed off the snow from their shoulders, clapped their numb hands together, and greeted each other.

Listen to this week's PseudoPod.
Follow us on YouTube and Spotify!

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Scuba Man

• Lochage
  • Drabblecast, Pseudopod, Escapepod, Podcastle
    • Black Cat Bed And Breakfast (proposed start up 2024)
Reply #1 on: February 23, 2021, 01:00:06 AM
I enjoyed this tale. And I appreciated the outro. I wasn't sure what the hell was going on in that shed by the pond. And THAT was the point. The characters were gloriously uptight. Nice!

I'm a stand-up philosopher until 2024. Then, I move onto my next gig. I'm a gentleman forester and farmer. I also enjoy jumping into Lake Huron and panicking the fish.

pitmonkey

• Extern
  • I'm just here for the beer... and stories.
Reply #2 on: March 15, 2021, 03:07:07 AM
I really enjoyed the read, nice job Christiana!

Proud 1%er (w/in Escape Artists only)
Nothing else to see here folks.