Author Topic: PseudoPod 739: Morag-of-the-Cave  (Read 1468 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
on: January 11, 2021, 03:43:53 AM
PseudoPod 739: Morag-of-the-Cave

Author: Margery Lawrence
Narrators: Lucy McCloughlin and Dave Robison
Host: Alasdair Stuart
Audio Producer: Chelsea Davis

First published in Hutchinson’s Mystery Story Magazine, July 1925. – “Morag-of-the-Cave” is an evocative tale of lovers from the sea that predates that fateful visit to Innsmouth by over a decade. But this version contains enough heat that Howie would have broken into a sweat.

Show Notes
The pre-episode warning excerpt is from the beginning of “The Electronic Plague” by Edward Hades and it first appeared in Weird Tales, April 1925. It is narrated by Dave Robison.

I saw her first wandering along the bleak seashore, wrapped in the eternal shawl that cloaks the Irish peasant woman. I was staying with the O’Haras, delightful, happy-go-lucky people, but rather too strenuous and energetic for my more sedentary tastes. Fortunately we were sufficiently old friends for me to ‘gang my ain gait’ if I wanted to, and I spent much time pottering about the picturesque, dirty little village, and talking to the friendly fisherfolk. It was while I stood talking to Silis Hagan, the old woman who had nursed big Terry O’Hara, youngest of the clan, and my fiancé, through his many ills, that Morag-of-the-Cave passed by. A grey, quiet woman, tall and thin to a degree, she loitered down the sandy pathway, her hands twisted in her shawl—the absence of the usual knitting that is the ceaseless occupation of the crofter woman struck me, and I remarked on it at once. Silis shook his head as she stared at the retreating figure.

‘Sure, ’tis always so with her, poor soul, pour soul! ’Twould be better for her peace o’ mind if she’d bide quiet and mind house and work, like good Father Flaherty bids her, but no, ’tis no use. Down to the sea, down to the sea she is all her days! Herself pity her . . . Morag-of-the-Cave.’

Listen to this week's PseudoPod.
Follow us on YouTube and Spotify!

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Marlboro

• Matross
Reply #1 on: January 11, 2021, 05:13:38 PM
This probably isn't your responsibility Bdoomed, but the audio player isn't visible on the site's main page. At least not for me.

LaHaine

• Extern
Reply #2 on: January 11, 2021, 07:53:43 PM
This probably isn't your responsibility Bdoomed, but the audio player isn't visible on the site's main page. At least not for me.
That's right, the free version of the episode is still missing. You can listen to it on spotify though.

Marlboro

• Matross
Reply #3 on: January 12, 2021, 04:50:45 PM
That's right, the free version of the episode is still missing. You can listen to it on spotify though.

Cool. Thanks!

LaHaine

• Extern
Reply #4 on: January 14, 2021, 06:45:18 AM
The page and feed have been fixed and the episode has appeared.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #5 on: June 02, 2021, 09:50:39 AM
It's really depressing to think about how every single character in this story is a complete monster who doesn't think twice about just deleting a woman's options from existence, and how even the very thought that maybe it wasn't all terrible was left as the "horror" stinger for the ending. 

I'd say, "Gosh, how far we've come," but, well, *indicates general everythingness*.

Beautiful story, though.  I do love the old stuff.  Something about that formality of language.