Author Topic: PseudoPod 759: The Withered Heart  (Read 920 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
on: May 30, 2021, 09:15:14 PM
PseudoPod 759: The Withered Heart

Author: G.G. Pendarves
Narrator: Ben Meredith
Host: Alasdair Stuart
Audio Producer: Chelsea Davis

Show Notes
As this was originally published as a novelette and a bit long for an episode of PseudoPod, staff turned this into an abridgement project to see if we could trim out some of the fat and keep the core of the story. What is presented is the abridged text we’ve edited. 

The Brothers Meredith Twitch Stream
Ben Meredith’s podcasts
Stellar Firma
The Magnus Archives
Rusty Quill Gaming

Dear John,
If a fifteen years’ friendship means anything to you, come at once.

My whole future is at stake and you’ve got to come and help. It’s a very very queer thing, and Jonquil and I don’t agree at all about it. I wish to heaven we’d found the box earlier and had more time to argue it all out.

Come and see us through it.

Rafe.
May 27th, 1938.

Listen to this week's PseudoPod.
Follow us on YouTube and Spotify!

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Scuba Man

• Lochage
  • Drabblecast, Pseudopod, Escapepod, Podcastle
    • Black Cat Bed And Breakfast (proposed start up 2024)
Reply #1 on: June 02, 2021, 01:21:05 AM
The abridged version seemed coherent. It was like listening to a bloated version of The Great Gatsby... . A really screwed up version of it. Misogynist and paternalistic characters? Heck yes. Greed? Yep. "Money. Money. Money". That was a great line.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Otherwise, I enjoyed listening to this story. Nice!

I'm a stand-up philosopher until 2024. Then, I move onto my next gig. I'm a gentleman forester and farmer. I also enjoy jumping into Lake Huron and panicking the fish.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #2 on: June 02, 2021, 08:53:06 AM
It's an older story, so the reason is probably just "he's evil, innit?"  One didn't used to need to explain why brooding dark noblemen would pursue and murder beautiful young girls; it was just kind of assumed. 

I liked the heart in the box.  It was neat.  Not my very favorite old-timey story, but I enjoy the old-timey ones a lot in general regardless.

Scuba Man

• Lochage
  • Drabblecast, Pseudopod, Escapepod, Podcastle
    • Black Cat Bed And Breakfast (proposed start up 2024)
Reply #3 on: June 18, 2021, 07:17:07 PM
It's an older story, so the reason is probably just "he's evil, innit?"  One didn't used to need to explain why brooding dark noblemen would pursue and murder beautiful young girls; it was just kind of assumed. 

I liked the heart in the box.  It was neat.  Not my very favorite old-timey story, but I enjoy the old-timey ones a lot in general regardless.
:o I don't know what possessed me to use the above (awful) font. Sorry about that.  :-\ I needed to pull out one of my spouse's literary lenses to view this tale... as a product of its time.

I'm a stand-up philosopher until 2024. Then, I move onto my next gig. I'm a gentleman forester and farmer. I also enjoy jumping into Lake Huron and panicking the fish.