Author Topic: PC683: Three for Hers  (Read 789 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
on: June 15, 2021, 08:28:10 PM
PodCastle 683: Three for Hers

Author: Filip Hajdar Drnovšek Zork
Narrator: Tanja Milojevic 
Host: Summer Fletcher
Audio Producer: Peter Behravesh

PodCastle 683: Three for Hers is a PodCastle original.

---

Content Warning:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Show Notes
Rated R.

The second time one of Vida’s brothers came home with strips of flesh cut out of his back, she decided it was time for the Margrave’s rule to end.

‘Don’t go,’ her middle brother sobbed. His bandages had soaked through, blood clumping where it met the grimy floor. ‘I was brave and fierce, and it was not enough.’

‘Don’t go,’ her oldest brother pleaded. His back had scarred a long time ago. So had his spirit. ‘I was strong and stubborn, and it was not enough.’

‘Please don’t go.’ Her father’s face was the hardest to ignore. Vida bundled the last of her belongings. It did not take long: the Plemitschi allowed them only food and clothing.

‘We have served the rulers of this land since it was young.’ Vida looked down as she spoke. Her father remembered a time when their service had been freely given, one Yagichari to another. She did not wish to see that nostalgia on his face. ‘I will not stop now.’

‘I’ll go instead,’ her father said. ‘You cannot do this to your brothers. They rely on your good cheer. I cannot bear to see your heart harden in the Margrave’s service.’

Vida did not want to upset him. She did not say, My heart hardened the day the Plemitschi came. Or, My heart broke the day the plague broke out, and I have pretended ever since, for you and for my brothers, because I knew I was stronger. Or, There is no heart where the Plemitschi tread.

‘I will serve,’ Vida said, and left.

Listen to this week's PodCastle.
Follow us on YouTube and Spotify!