Author Topic: PC687: In September  (Read 660 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
on: July 13, 2021, 11:34:19 PM
PodCastle 687: In September

Author: Aimee Ogden
Narrator: Tina Connolly
Host: Summer Fletcher
Audio Producer: Peter Behravesh

Previously published by Daily Science Fiction

---

Show Notes
Rated PG

On a humid night in mid-July, Emily can’t sleep. Her hand keeps sliding into the cool open space on the far side of the mattress. She slips out of bed and pads down the hall, into the kitchen. The breakfast barstool screeches when she pulls it out, but there’s no one in the house to wake. The wall calendar from the bank has a picture of some lake up north for this month; Emily flips ahead to August’s verdant farm, to September’s antique schoolhouse. She counts the days from here to there, as she has a hundred times before.

Listen to this week's PodCastle.
Follow us on YouTube and Spotify!

Álex Souza

• Palmer
  • Just a Latin American lad.
    • Blog
Reply #1 on: August 01, 2021, 07:01:25 PM
Although the speculative element was a little too dim for my tastes, something here drew my attention. In Brazil, we have Yellow September--a campaign to raise the population's awareness about depression and suicide prevention. It’s amazing how it fits here!

Also, there’s this scene in particular: they buy food and alcohol to make a “feast”, they have it, then they wake up sad the next day. It was just a palliative. It reminded of the movie Druk, aka One More Round (2020). People are always looking for things to make them move further in life. They’re always addicted to something.

I just wanna go pro before AI takes over and the bot dogs from Boston Dynamics kill us all.