Author Topic: PC739: ‘Til Death  (Read 521 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
on: June 19, 2022, 04:51:40 AM
PodCastle 739: ‘Til Death

Author: C.J. Lavigne
Narrator: Nicola Seaton-Clark
Host: Matt Dovey
Audio Producer: Eric Valdes

PodCastle 739: ‘Til Death is a PodCastle original.

---

Content Warning:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Show Notes
Rated PG-13

My dear Clarinda,

They tell me that when you heard of my wedding, you shattered a goblet, fell to the floor in a swooning fit, and did not arise for three days. I hear that the entirety of the manor was wreathed in black. Really, darling, it seems a bit much. I’m fine.

I know it’s not the choice you would have made. If it’s any consolation . . . in the moment when I found myself there, caught between the noble prince and the eternal night, I did think of you. It was all very dramatic, Jordan standing there in a shaft of brilliant light, his hand outstretched, begging me to leave Gareth’s side. I was glad he’d thought to break the window boards, or that whole scene would have been significantly bloodier; I could feel Gareth, pressed against my back, and his fingers were gentle on my shoulder but his teeth were bared.

Your voice was there, I promise. I heard you say think of the sunlight and death is what gives life meaning and he has loved you since childhood and, yes, all of it was true. So please don’t feel guilty; don’t think “if I’d only been there” or “she was confused” or “I could have changed her mind.” I wasn’t confused. You didn’t change my mind. But I know you, and I knew you would have tried.

We are very different people, you and I.

I hope, though, that we can still be friends. I assure you, I retain all of our life’s affections, and I wish you only the best. I won’t visit; Gareth tells me it will take time before the bloodlust abates, and I do not wish to frighten or harm you. But write back! Just give the parchment to a spider, or a bat — leave it on the windowsill, if you like. They will know it’s for me.

All my heart,

D.

Listen to this week's PodCastle.
Follow us on YouTube and Spotify!