Author Topic: PodCastle Miniature 010: The Desires of Houses  (Read 20954 times)

veganvampire

• Palmer
Reply #25 on: September 19, 2008, 03:18:01 AM
I try to keep an open mind while listening to a story the first time.  I try to suspend my disbelief, and accept any surrealism.  Usually, while I am listening, I love every story I hear while I am hearing it.

That being said, while I was listening to The Desires of Houses, only one word was running through my head while I was listening to it : creeeeeeepy.

Sandikal

• Matross
Reply #26 on: September 27, 2008, 08:37:24 PM
I just listened to this while washing the walls of a room I'm getting ready to paint.  My house must really love me!

ThunderBunny

• Extern
Reply #27 on: October 02, 2008, 03:33:43 AM
Wow.  I'm surprised at how many people didn't like this.  It was short and a great story for being so short.  The reading was excellent too.

Why is everyone getting creeped out, can't anything happen in fantasy?  Did no one hear Mer's story on EscapePod about cities that were alive?

This was my second favorite Flash story after the little girls and the quarters story.

Gabbleduck

• Extern
Reply #28 on: November 22, 2008, 05:47:43 PM
I figured today--housework day--would be a great day to catch up on all the podcasts I'd missed because I just moved into a new house. Apparently so! I was loading up the laundry when I pushed play on this one. My next stop was going to be the cat box...but now I think I'll head for the bathtub.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #29 on: November 23, 2008, 01:43:34 AM
Wow.  I'm surprised at how many people didn't like this.  It was short and a great story for being so short.  The reading was excellent too.

Why is everyone getting creeped out, can't anything happen in fantasy?  Did no one hear Mer's story on EscapePod about cities that were alive?

I remember that one.  Unlike most of Mur Lafferty's stories, I had no great opinion of it.

The only thing I could say in this story's favor is that it was short.  Mercifully short.  It's the only thing most of these miniatures have in their favor -- I can count on one hand the ones that I liked, and still have a finger or three left over to give the rest a rude gesture  :P

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #30 on: November 17, 2009, 10:18:25 PM
Well it was definitely unique.  I'm not a huge fan of stories told from the POV of inanimate objects, but of that subgenre, this wasn't a bad execution of it. 

I did find it very creepy, and a living house has lots of potential for stories, but in the end it turned out to be mostly a scenario description, a snapshot of a life, but didn't give the plot arc that I crave.