Author Topic: Anyone Else Having Problems with the New Version of iTunes?  (Read 10193 times)

Loz

• Lochage
    • Blah Flowers
Specifically, the Pods Escape, Pseudo and Castle? I loaded the new versions of iTunes and now have three podcasts all called Escape Pod which seem to have a haphazard mix of all three podcast feeds mixed in together. Is anyone else having this problem or is it just me?

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
  • Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!
Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 06:43:49 PM
I think that has to do with the recent server move rather than the latest ITunes. I emagine Steve is already all over the issue and it will be cleared up soon.
There's more on that here.

How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?

Loz

• Lochage
    • Blah Flowers
Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 09:30:31 AM
Aaah, I did have a look around to see if there was already a note of this but did not bother to check that thread because, not knowing tech, I didn't put 2 + 2 together. When I updated my feeds in the evening the problem sorted itself out, thanks Thaurismunths and Steve!

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 09:37:45 AM
Speaking of iTunes 8 — Anyone else hate this Icon-based view?

Genius is pretty cool, so long as it doesn't turn out to be an RIAA front.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Left of Duck

• Extern
Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 09:57:00 AM
I love the icon based view for music, but not for podcasts since it doesn't show the casts you haven't downloaded.

But since the old views are still there it doesn't matter! :D

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 08:54:54 PM

I had exactly the same thought about Genius as you. 

The Icon-based view is weird.  When I click albums, it alphabetizes by artist, then by album.  When I click artist, it alphabetizes by artist.  You click on the artist, and then get the album (IIRC).  Doesn't really make sense to me...I liked it better on the jukebox looking view. 

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 09:35:41 PM

I had exactly the same thought about Genius as you. 

I really hope it isn't, because I've only used it and my recent podcasts folder since it's come out. Partially this is because I'm really bad at playlists and don't spend the time to put them together well, partially because I really enjoy the feature. It was the only thing I used on a walk from South Ferry to about midway up the Upper West Side last weekend and I only skipped a handful of songs instead of every other one with my other playlists, so I really hope the data is somehow anonymized and protected.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Planish

• Hipparch
  • Fun will now commence.
    • northernelectric.ca
Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 08:16:45 AM
I had not noticed any triplicate EscapePod issues. (MacOS X - Leopard)

But on the topic of the iTunes update, just tonight I did run across this thing over at Podiobooks.com - http://www.podiobooks.com/blog/2008/09/13/itunes-gives-you-control-over-your-own-audiobooks-sort-of/
The new iTunes 8 has launched and fans of audiobooks couldn’t be happier. Prior versions of iTunes kept the Audiobooks section under lock and key. The only files that would display in the Audiobooks section on your iTunes or iPod were books purchased from the iTunes music store. Not very handy to people who buy copies of audio books on CD or download them from other sources on the interwebs.

[blurry iTunes screenshot]

With 8.0, iTunes now allows you to change the Media Kind for files to Audiobook, taking them out of the Music section (where they never belonged in the first place). So score one for iTunes for enabling those who just want to use the software, but exercise choice in where they get their audiobook content.

Unfortunately, there’s still a bias against files received on a podcast — even a podcast of an audiobook. Those files are still locked up as a “Podcast”, prohibiting you from re-assigning the Media Kind for received files as Music, Audiobooks… you name it. Which means that files you get via our RSS feeds — default or custom — still won’t go in the Audiobook section.

Unless you are a bit crafty and willing to go through a couple of hoops. The good news is that you don’t have to buy any software. You can do it with a little bit of time and patience with iTunes 8.0. Here are the steps.
[snip]
I'll have to give it a try later (currently posting from workplace), since I don't have any audiobooks per se, and I always wondered how the listening experience differs from podcasts and playlists. I do like the way podcasts send it back to the main menu after an episode is finished, because I often listen to them when dropping off to sleep at night (or morning, if following a night shift). It saves battery power if I fall asleep, and doesn't flag all those eps as being listened to.

Oh. Saying I use EscapePod to put myself to sleep doesn't sound very complimentary to the authors and readers, now does it?  :-[ More often than not, I wake up partway through and rewind to catch up again.

Maybe it will now let me turn Librivox files into audiobooks.

I feed The Pod.
("planish" rhymes with "vanish")

Russell Nash

Reply #8 on: September 17, 2008, 05:39:29 PM
I'd pretty much been using that trick.  The only difference was since I couldn't change media type I changed genre.  I had short story, novel, audioplay, etc.  I like putting in a whole different library though.  It plays to my anal retentive side.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #9 on: September 17, 2008, 08:23:00 PM
The new iTunes 8 has launched and fans of audiobooks couldn’t be happier. Prior versions of iTunes kept the Audiobooks section under lock and key. The only files that would display in the Audiobooks section on your iTunes or iPod were books purchased from the iTunes music store. Not very handy to people who buy copies of audio books on CD or download them from other sources on the interwebs.

Not true.  Rip a CD audio book as AC3 (file extension .m4a) and change the extension to .m4b; iTunes will recognize it as an audiobook.  Any AC3 file with an .m4b extension will do this.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Russell Nash

Reply #10 on: September 20, 2008, 10:08:00 PM
But on the topic of the iTunes update, just tonight I did run across this thing over at Podiobooks.com - http://www.podiobooks.com/blog/2008/09/13/itunes-gives-you-control-over-your-own-audiobooks-sort-of/

I'm using this system now, as I said I was already doing something similiar, but I did one extra thing to make i easier.  I set up a smart playlist, titled "change media". 

Rules:
Set to "Match All of the following rules"
Genre is Podcast
Playlist is Music
(add whatever "does not" rules to weed out stuff you don't want on the list)

When you convert a podcast to MP3 the genre is always Podcast.  This list pulls all of those out of the Music Library, so you don't have to search for them.  It's then a simple thing to change them to Audiobook.

Raving_Lunatic

• Radiohead Addict (please, do not encourage this)
  • Lochage
  • Red Blue Green
Reply #11 on: October 25, 2008, 12:21:05 PM
Itunes 8 wiped my entire library except for podcasts, which was a bit of a problem as I had to reload every CD back onto my dear little Ipod, which used up the best part of a Sunday...

I have been getting problems with the downloads though. It will download part of a podcast, then stop, leaving me with a broken file. Any ideas?

Nt 2 B TKN INTRNLY

• Palmer
  • Program Error: User "Daniel" Terminated
    • Brain Radiation
Reply #12 on: October 26, 2008, 11:43:26 PM
My iTunes deleted every second EP episode, every Comedy Central episode except one (it was awful) and it left all of my Hooting Yards intact.

I wonder what it would be like to feel my brain...