Author Topic: Librarything  (Read 12404 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #25 on: January 18, 2009, 12:41:00 AM
*puts in a word to smite FamilyGuy for the sin of threadomancy*

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Zathras

Reply #26 on: January 18, 2009, 12:42:40 AM
Be careful!  N-sh tried out his smiting powers on me.  It didn't quite work, but I think he has it down now!

Russell Nash

Reply #27 on: January 18, 2009, 05:22:01 PM
*puts in a word to smite FamilyGuy for the sin of threadomancy*

And that is why you are only an Acolyte.  Threadromancy is approved by TCoRN and I believe also by the unaffiliated moderators of the forums.  The basic idea is: if you have something to say, put it with everyone else's comments on the topic.  This makes it so Eytanz doesn't have to write the same long well-thought-out argument twice.

Russell Nash

Reply #28 on: February 08, 2009, 12:56:19 PM
I just signed up for Goodreads.  I wanted someplace where I could try to compile my list of every book I've read.  I've lost this list many times, but I always try to recompile it.  The need for this list came about after I discovered that three of the books, I had just bought, I had already read.  The list is terribly incomplete, but it's a start.

Poppydragon

• Peltast
Reply #29 on: February 08, 2009, 01:03:26 PM
I started a list of every book that I own, by the simple expedient of going through tthe shelves one at a time, adding the info straight onto the computer and worrying about sorting it later. Infortunately I ended up having to move house unexpectedly, hence all the books got taken off the shelves and put into boxes and then put back out in the new house, in a different order. I haven't had the motivation to start again  :-\ That said I'm usually quite good at remembering what I have although I did end up buying second copies both of I Am Legend and Naked Lunch recently.

Man - despite his artistic pretensions, his sophistication, and his many accomplishments - owes his existence to a six inch layer of topsoil and the fact that it rains.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #30 on: February 08, 2009, 05:57:43 PM
I started a list of every book that I own, by the simple expedient of going through tthe shelves one at a time, adding the info straight onto the computer and worrying about sorting it later. Infortunately I ended up having to move house unexpectedly, hence all the books got taken off the shelves and put into boxes and then put back out in the new house, in a different order. I haven't had the motivation to start again  :-\ That said I'm usually quite good at remembering what I have although I did end up buying second copies both of I Am Legend and Naked Lunch recently.

See, what I did was catalog my books as I was packing them for a move, with the intention of keeping track of which boxes held which books.  I still have the Excel workbook (though it still doesn't have most of my late father's collection.)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 06:01:25 PM by stePH »

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

gelee

• Lochage
  • It's a missile, boy.
Reply #31 on: February 10, 2009, 05:51:33 PM
I'm on both Goodreads and Librarything.  I like the completeness of Librarything, but it's just too bloody slow, and seems geared more toward professional librarians.  I moved over to Goodreads, as it seemed a lot quicker and easier to manage my library, but a bit tougher to find people.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #32 on: February 11, 2009, 01:13:24 AM
Forgot to mention yesterday that I got an Early Reviewer book.  It's something called Modern Magic by Anne Cordwainer, apparently an urban fantasy sortofthing.

Russell Nash

Reply #33 on: February 11, 2009, 07:52:29 PM
Forgot to mention yesterday that I got an Early Reviewer book.  It's something called Modern Magic by Anne Cordwainer, apparently an urban fantasy sortofthing.

How did that come about?

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #34 on: February 12, 2009, 12:49:19 AM

How did that come about?

Step 1: Sign up for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Step 2: Click "Request it" for books that interest you.

Step 3: Wait.  Maybe something will come, maybe not.  Repeat steps 2-3 monthly.

Russell Nash

Reply #35 on: February 12, 2009, 08:06:57 AM

How did that come about?

Step 1: Sign up for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Step 2: Click "Request it" for books that interest you.

Step 3: Wait.  Maybe something will come, maybe not.  Repeat steps 2-3 monthly.

I was hoping it was something on goodreads.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #36 on: February 12, 2009, 02:25:55 PM
I was hoping it was something on goodreads.

Sorry, not.  But maybe goodreads has something similar.  I haven't checked.

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #37 on: February 12, 2009, 02:32:12 PM
hmm wow, that's rad. I had all but abandoned LT in favor of goodreads, but I may have to reconsider.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #38 on: April 02, 2009, 06:39:02 PM
LT Update:
A friend on another board has gifted me with lifetime membership on LibraryThing, a few days ago so I've been plugging in about a couple dozen books a day, starting with my late father's collection.  w00t!  :)

A word on bookshelves:
PICTURES! I GOT PICTURES!

Dad's books (six shelves in all, so the middle two are in both pictures):

Four Billys (Ikea FTW!) are of a size that isn't made any more, and I don't think the grey finish is available either.  The two on the left are the bottom and the two on the right sit atop them.

These three, more current model Billy units, were set up for my wife's cookbooks and other miscellaneous stuff in the dining room off the kitchen in the old house, and she wanted them to look built-in so we wouldn't have to take them out when the house was being moved.  So that's an Ikea countertop on top, and molding to cover the seams.  Once we left the old house these became mine, and I liked the look of it so I kept it this way (cutting down the countertop to fit the new area).  They're in a little alcove-type area with wire shelves above (that I took from my closet in the old house).

(that's my collection of comic books in the bottom right shelf)

This is a bookcase my stepfather built for me ten years ago when I first moved up to the Seattle area from Los Angeles.  The shelves are moveable.  The whole thing is sturdy and very heavy.

And here's my new self-portrait visible on my LT page.  It looks exactly like me.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 01:39:15 AM by stePH »

tpi

• Peltast
Reply #39 on: April 03, 2009, 09:38:16 AM
Personally, I am not concerned of privacy matters in sharing my library content.
Here it is:
http://www.librarything.com/catalog.php?view=tpi.kirjat&shelf=list

P.S
Tracking banknotes using rfid is a urban legend:
http://www.snopes.com/business/money/strip.asp