Author Topic: when the end comes !  (Read 202795 times)

Chodon

• Lochage
  • Molon Labe
Reply #350 on: July 02, 2008, 06:20:14 PM
Bringing a boyfriend and an ex-boyfriend sounds like you may be asking for trouble in addition to the zombies!

Those who would sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither.

Russell Nash

Reply #351 on: July 02, 2008, 07:35:56 PM
Bringing a boyfriend and an ex-boyfriend sounds like you may be asking for trouble in addition to the zombies!

That really stood out for me, too.  I think you need to choose one.  Unless… (no, no, I won't go there.)

jodymonster

• Palmer
Reply #352 on: July 02, 2008, 10:15:52 PM

Nah.  They get along well enough.  I've been out at a bar with the two of them together more than once.   If they can drink together and not fight, I think we'll be cool.  Jon's the only ex I still talk to, and when we broke up we promised we would come get the other one in case of zombies.  I can't believe I just admitted that to the world.

That really stood out for me, too.  I think you need to choose one.  Unless… (no, no, I won't go there.)

Well, a girl can dream...

"If you're going to be crazy, you have to get paid for it or else you're going to be locked up." -Hunter S. Thompson

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
  • Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!
Reply #353 on: July 03, 2008, 02:19:28 AM
Jon's the only ex I still talk to, and when we broke up we promised we would come get the other one in case of zombies.
Aren't you afraid that's going to lead to the "Alien Promise" scenario?

How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?

Russell Nash

Reply #354 on: July 03, 2008, 09:52:25 AM
Jon's the only ex I still talk to, and when we broke up we promised we would come get the other one in case of zombies.  I can't believe I just admitted that to the world.

[snip] We don't need to repeat my statement [/snip]

Gotta say, I get even more attracted to you then I was before after every post, but not in a stalker/scary way.  ;D

Chodon

• Lochage
  • Molon Labe
Reply #355 on: July 03, 2008, 11:12:56 AM

Nah.  They get along well enough.  I've been out at a bar with the two of them together more than once.   If they can drink together and not fight, I think we'll be cool.  Jon's the only ex I still talk to, and when we broke up we promised we would come get the other one in case of zombies.  I can't believe I just admitted that to the world.

All I can say is that if there were a movie made about each of our experiences during the zombie apocalypse, I think yours would be the most interesting.

Mine would consist of me sitting at the top of the destroyed staircase in my house with my wife and dog, trying to figure out some way to get the zombies to eat my neighbor and not me.  It would probably end with me starving to death.

That reminds me...I need to stash some doritos and Clif bars in my bedroom.

Those who would sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither.

Russell Nash

Reply #356 on: July 03, 2008, 11:33:20 AM

All I can say is that if there were a movie made about each of our experiences during the zombie apocalypse, I think yours would be the most interesting.

Mine would consist of me sitting at the top of the destroyed staircase in my house with my wife and dog, trying to figure out some way to get the zombies to eat my neighbor and not me.  It would probably end with me starving to death.

That reminds me...I need to stash some doritos and Clif bars in my bedroom.

I had a design for a bed made out of canned and freeze-dried food, but my wife wouldn't let me make it.   ;)

cuddlebug

• Peltast
Reply #357 on: September 06, 2008, 10:07:09 PM
Just found this website while *stumbling*, the Zombie Preparedness Initiative, and it reminded me of this thread. Very useful for those who, like me, are still working on their emergency plan.  Sad, when things we see in our everyday lives remind us of things that were discussed in the forum and not the other way around, forum threads reminding us of our lives.

Ahem, actually, since we talk about Zombie invasions, well, ... am taking it back. Sorry, my bad.

Russell Nash

Reply #358 on: September 19, 2008, 08:20:30 PM
My turn to resurrect this thread.  A zombie defense kit.

oddpod

• Matross
Reply #359 on: September 23, 2008, 01:41:08 PM
nice:)

card carying dislexic and  gramatical revolushonery

Zathras

Reply #360 on: November 18, 2008, 06:43:30 PM
Even more threadomancy!

I just finished reading all 18 pages, so I may miss some of the finer points.

1.  The zombies are your biggest problem for the first week or so, then it's other humans.
2.  If you aren't in the military, STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM THEM.  The purpose of a club is to keep others out.  In situations like this, the military becomes a club with all the guns.
3.  Quarantine ANYONE who joins or rejoins the group.
4.  Cremate all dead bodies.
5.  If it is determined that bites cause people to zombify, strap a gas gan on the back of anyone who has been bitten, and send them on their way.  Have your best marksman wait until zombies are near, put the poor sod out of his memory and start a zombie bonfire a safe distance from your defenses.
6.  If you can safely dispatch a zombie, always do so!  In Land of the Dead, there were easy pickings that were left to join the horde that assaulted the city.
7.  Avoid hospitals and any other refugee sites.
8.  Terrain is your friend, take the high ground.
9.  Water, water, water.  Collect as much as you can as often as you can.
10.  Urine is sterile and can be used to flush a toilet.  Smelly?  Yes.  But it is more sanitary than leaving feces around.

Ok, that's a starter.

Zathras

Reply #361 on: November 18, 2008, 06:48:35 PM
Oh, yeah.  People have mentioned Max Brooks' WWZ, but I gotta point ya to the audiobook.  This is one of the best audiobooks I've ever heard, and the perfect format for the book.

bluerequiem

• Palmer
    • Blue Requiem - Data Ghosts
Reply #362 on: November 18, 2008, 07:12:26 PM
I heard Max Brooks lecture at a local college.  He went into more depth than his Zombie Survival Guide.  My favorite point was on flame throwers.  If flesh burned fast enough to make flame throwers viable weapons against zombies, we wouldn't be able to have barbecues.

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
Reply #363 on: November 19, 2008, 03:44:56 AM
I'm with you on 1, 3, 7, 9, and 10.

2.  If you aren't in the military, STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM THEM.  The purpose of a club is to keep others out.  In situations like this, the military becomes a club with all the guns.
I think that depends a lot on who they're working for. If they're still hanging on the chain of command, and the military didn't start the outbreak, then you might be better off with the guys who have a supply chain. If they've gone 'freelance', you're probably humped.
4.  Cremate all dead bodies.
See Bluerequiem's post for why this isn't practical. Get a guillotine instead.
5.  If it is determined that bites cause people to zombify, strap a gas gan on the back of anyone who has been bitten, and send them on their way.  Have your best marksman wait until zombies are near, put the poor sod out of his memory and start a zombie bonfire a safe distance from your defenses.
Great, flaming zombies. Good idea.
6.  If you can safely dispatch a zombie, always do so!  In Land of the Dead, there were easy pickings that were left to join the horde that assaulted the city.
A good policy, but very hard to execute. Ammunition is expensive now, and would be impossible to get in the future.
8.  Terrain is your friend, take the high ground.
I'd rather take a defensible subway tunnel then an isolated mansion with a great view.

Something else about #10. Instead of wasting the urine on flushing toilets in to a sewer that no longer functions, try composting it. Use a bucket and toss a few handfuls of potash (leftover from last night's fire) on top of the night soil. When the bucket's full, take it to the compost pit.

Zathras

Reply #364 on: November 19, 2008, 04:37:43 AM
I would do the individual quote thing, but it's almost my bed time.

2.  It's hard to tell before you get there if they've gone freelance.  If you're sure they're still in protection mode, then it's probably worth the risk.  Be advised that you will probably be digging latrines and other unpleasant jobs.

4.  Ok, properly dispose of then.  Make absolutely certain that a corpse doesn't reanimate or that the body itself won't cause other issues, such as disease.

5.  As I said, do it at a distance from your location.  If the poor sod is gonna die, take him to the other side of the river.  If you don't like the flames, other zombie traps are available.

6.  In the example from Land of the Dead, they could have dispatched lots of those zombies without wasting ammo.  If you see a solitary zombie, destroy it.  The biggest menace from zombies is when there is a horde of them.  You don't want to pass up the opportunity to prevent hordes.

8.  I'll take the high ground.  Zombies can't fall uphill.  They can fall into your subway tunnel, or swarm around the entrances so thick that you can't cut your way through them.

10.  Valid point.  There are lots of other uses for urine, but if someone has no idea what to do with it, they can at least save their water for drinking.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated, as it is constructive in nature.

There is Rule 13 (it's always 13 in my rule list), Be willing to let others die.  If they are a drain on your resources, you might have to use them as zombie bait or send them on their way.  Everyone has to be useful in one way or another.

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
Reply #365 on: November 19, 2008, 11:42:59 AM
I would do the individual quote thing, but it's almost my bed time.

2.  It's hard to tell before you get there if they've gone freelance.  If you're sure they're still in protection mode, then it's probably worth the risk.  Be advised that you will probably be digging latrines and other unpleasant jobs.
Very true. It isn't likely they'll have a pirate flag with them when they snipe you from the tree top. But as for "digging latrines and other unpleasant jobs", what do you think you'll be doing during armageddon? Ordering room service?

5.  As I said, do it at a distance from your location.  If the poor sod is gonna die, take him to the other side of the river.  If you don't like the flames, other zombie traps are available.
The other side of this, how willing do you think the poor sod is going to be to get turned out and executed? A better option might be to, if you have the resources, rig them with explosives and wait for them to change.

6.  In the example from Land of the Dead, they could have dispatched lots of those zombies without wasting ammo.  If you see a solitary zombie, destroy it.  The biggest menace from zombies is when there is a horde of them.  You don't want to pass up the opportunity to prevent hordes.
I'll be honest, my opinion of Land of the Dead is pretty low. Taking zombie survival tips from that movie would be like getting your news from Fox.

8.  I'll take the high ground.  Zombies can't fall uphill.  They can fall into your subway tunnel, or swarm around the entrances so thick that you can't cut your way through them.
Zombies can surround a hill, but they'll have a lot of trouble surrounding the entire sewer system. One thing movies have taught us is that no hideout is perfectly secure, so I would elect one with a lot of exits.

Russell Nash

Reply #366 on: November 19, 2008, 12:24:03 PM
One thing movies have taught us is that no hideout is perfectly secure, so I would elect one with a lot of exits.

Conversely, it would have a lot of entrances.

I think I'd be more of the single entrance, draw bridge type.

Another thing about the hill top, is that you can spend spare time rigging up rockslides and other gravity-powered defenses.

wintermute

• Hipparch
  • What Would Batman Do?
Reply #367 on: November 19, 2008, 01:21:02 PM
One thing movies have taught us is that no hideout is perfectly secure, so I would elect one with a lot of exits.

What we need is somewhere with a lot of exits, but only one entrance... a movie theatre, maybe?

Science means that not all dreams can come true

Russell Nash

Reply #368 on: November 19, 2008, 01:56:33 PM

What we need is somewhere with a lot of exits, but only one entrance... a movie theatre, maybe?

That's showing a zombie movie.

Zathras

Reply #369 on: November 19, 2008, 01:59:04 PM
The biggest problem with selecting a location is that it really wouldn't be too hard to keep zombies out, until other humans want in.  For a good example of this, see the orriginal Dawn of the Dead.

A castle with a dry moat would be ideal against zombies, so long as you had a way to dispose of theem faster than they can fill the moat.

Strapping explosives onto someone who is about to turn is the ideal solution.  I didn't bring it up, because the likelyhood of having those explosives is too low.  During strategy discussions, we decided that everyone should carry explosives that would detonate if a button wasn't pushed every 24 hours.  You could push it more often, and it would start the 24 hour countdown over.  But, really, who wants to chance the explosives going off at the wrong time?

Russell Nash

Reply #370 on: November 19, 2008, 02:12:51 PM
Takes quite a long time to fill a moat.

Zathras

Reply #371 on: November 19, 2008, 06:08:51 PM
I'm in Flagstaff.  Where is everyone?

Russell Nash

Reply #372 on: November 19, 2008, 07:03:44 PM
I'm in Flagstaff.  Where is everyone?

here

Zathras

Reply #373 on: November 19, 2008, 07:23:07 PM
And Ben, we need some PP as well. Plus, being editor I am sure he has heard some great zombie plans.

So, here is what we do:

1) Mur Lafferty will team up with Jason Adams and they will go to Fort Bragg
2) They will pick up a Pave Low and fly to Steve's house
3) They pick up Steve and family then procede to a nearby private airport and get on a GS4 jet piloted by Bdoomed.
4) They will fly first to Miami to pick up J.C. Hutchins and procece to an an airport near Ben.
4) They fly to Payson Municipal Airport in AZ.
5) I will meet them there with Mike Mennenga, Summer Brookes, Evo Terra, Brian Brown, and Mike Stackpole.
6) We will refuel the jet and procede to one of the SF suburbs and pick up Sigler.
7) We will land in Flagstaff, AZ where we will hide out till the end.  If you want to be with the podcasting community you'll want to be there.

Forgot that I had just read all of this thread yesterday.  I was making an obscure joke.  Guess it was too obscure.

oddpod

• Matross
Reply #374 on: November 20, 2008, 06:35:09 PM
you read the hole thread!
in one siting?

bloody hell quite an acheavement :)

card carying dislexic and  gramatical revolushonery