Author Topic: when the end comes !  (Read 202226 times)

slic

• Hipparch
  • Stephen Lumini
Reply #50 on: March 14, 2007, 10:24:30 PM
I dont' think the thread was zombie specific - though speaking of that Marvel Comics had a great miniseries of the mulitverse world where the zombie virus took over everyone http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Zombies

So what about giant asteroids?

I have windable flashlight/radio combo.
Shovels - for hitting and digging.
Books on how to do stuff.

slic

• Hipparch
  • Stephen Lumini
Reply #51 on: March 14, 2007, 10:36:05 PM
So, where do you think they will come from?
Asia? The sewers? The government?

Definately, from a lab researching intelligent design.

The over worked lab tech will have used the Kansas equivalent of Pi to vary the DNA refractor's stabilization field, creating an irrational mutation in the Darwinian calculations, but he'll have been too distracted by American Idol 64 to notice in time.

This should be it's own thread - what a funky idea.  However, there have been attempts - seriously.  They try to scientifically prove how evolution cannot actually work.

There have been other, less rigorous attempts as well - check out objective.jesussave.us/creationsciencefair.html - right now someone has a re-direct.  But try to visit it, and if you get in....be scared.

Here is a synopsis:
"The purpose of the Fellowship Baptist Creation Science Fair is to get kids excited about Creation and motivate them to discover the truth of our Lord on their own."
Winning exhibits this year include "My Uncle Is A Man Named Steve (Not A Monkey)", "Women Were Designed For Homemaking", and "Using Prayer To Microevolve Latent Antibiotic Resistance In Bacteria".

This was my absolute fav:
Patricia Lewis (grade 8 ) did an experiment to see if life can evolve from non-life. Patricia placed all the non-living ingredients of life - carbon (a charcoal briquet), purified water, and assorted minerals (a multi-vitamin) - into a sealed glass jar. The jar was left undisturbed, being exposed only to sunlight, for three weeks. (Patricia also prayed to God not to do anything miraculous during the course of the experiment, so as not to disqualify the findings.) No life evolved. This shows that life cannot come from non-life through natural processes.

wakela

• Hipparch
    • Mr. Wake
Reply #52 on: March 15, 2007, 01:00:25 AM
I still would want a sailboat.

Stuff like world building, character creation, getting past the slush pile, avoiding copyright problems, that kind of thing?

slic

• Hipparch
  • Stephen Lumini
Reply #53 on: March 15, 2007, 02:10:42 AM

Stuff like world building, character creation, getting past the slush pile, avoiding copyright problems, that kind of thing?
Absolutely - I will rule the literary world of our zombie masters.

wakela

• Hipparch
    • Mr. Wake
Reply #54 on: March 15, 2007, 06:08:29 AM
Zombie Flash Fiction Constest!
- Entries must be no longer than one(1) word.
- Entires must contain the word "brains."
- It will take about a month and a half of voting to decide the winner.
- Good Luck!

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #55 on: March 15, 2007, 06:19:48 AM

ItwasadarkandstormynightBRAINSsuddenlyashotrangoutBRAINSohnoitsaraygunBRAINSBRAINSbutttheyweresavedbyBRAINSandtheyallshambledhappilyeverafterBRAINS.

ESCAPE POD - The Science Fiction Podcast Magazine

Russell Nash

Reply #56 on: March 15, 2007, 08:14:47 AM
Definately, from a lab researching intelligent design.

Ha!

Of course, if intelligent design could be "researched" it wouldn't be such a problem for the scientific community.  (Hmmm, there may be a story idea in that...)

Their "research" always has the feel of the kid, who broke the window, trying to come up with a good excuse.

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
  • Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!
Reply #57 on: March 15, 2007, 11:30:29 AM

ItwasadarkandstormynightBRAINSsuddenlyashotrangoutBRAINSohnoitsaraygunBRAINSBRAINSbutttheyweresavedbyBRAINSandtheyallshambledhappilyeverafterBRAINS.
LittlejackhornersatinacornereatinghisfathersheadhestuckinhisthumbandpulledouthisBRAINSandsaidmhrrrr!!

How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
Reply #58 on: March 15, 2007, 11:55:38 AM
I dont' think the thread was zombie specific - though speaking of that Marvel Comics had a great miniseries of the mulitverse world where the zombie virus took over everyone http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Zombies

Wow! That looks awesome, I'll have to get a copy of the series.

I don't know if there is anything to be done in the face of an asteroid, other than make peace with your dear and fluffy lord. Unless we're talking about giant meteorites (smaller than asteroids), in which case we go to the "nuclear winter" plan... which for me looks a lot like the zombie plan, but with less agriculture.

Planish

• Hipparch
  • Fun will now commence.
    • northernelectric.ca
Reply #59 on: March 16, 2007, 05:07:09 AM
My weapon of choice for Zombie Hordes is a cutlass, much like a cross between a sabre and a machete.

Features:
  • The slashing action of a sabre combined with the chopping of a machete. You do need to be able to lop heads and limbs off, because thrusts (as with a rapier) do no good against a foe that is already dead.
  • Relatively higher mass as swords go, but not as heavy as, say, a flanged mace or a bardiche. You will have to carry this everywhere you go, but you still have to be able to cut or break bones and vertebrae (not just muscle and blood vessels).
  • No ammo to have to carry or (more importantly) obtain.
  • It should not easily become stuck in skulls or ribcages (like a spiked warhammer or board-with-a-nail-in-it)
  • If they grab at it, they'll merely lose a few more fingers and you've got your weapon back.
  • It's short enough to swing or thrust in close quarters or in confined spaces. Unlike a halberd or partizan, because everybody knows (right?) that the way to take down a single fighter with a polearm is to get in close.
  • If they do get really close, you can block and punch with the basket hilt (wide knuckle guard).
  • You can use it to chop firewood or cut branches to build a perimeter wall of outward-pointing stakes.

Remember, the Undead Menace cannot feel pain, so chemical repellants or Tasers will certainly not work.

I feed The Pod.
("planish" rhymes with "vanish")

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #60 on: March 16, 2007, 05:22:29 AM
My weapon of choice for Zombie Hordes is a cutlass, much like a cross between a sabre and a machete.

Good logic.  But why not a katana?

In fact, it occurs to me that zombies may be the real reason for the Japanese art of Iaido -- drawing the sword, slicing through one's opponent, wiping the blood off, and then replacing the sword in a single motion -- as demonstrated by this guy I think we know.  >8->

Planish

• Hipparch
  • Fun will now commence.
    • northernelectric.ca
Reply #61 on: March 16, 2007, 07:11:19 AM

[snip]
You would probably need a good quality Katana, which are harder to come by than the wall-hangers you usually see in pawn shops.
Plus I'd like the full basket hilt for hand protection and punching, rather than a teeny little tsuba. One of the reasons cutlasses were popular back in the day was because they required less training to use effectively than a more sophisticated weapon. I think that katanas have aquired this glow of preternatural powers only in recent years from people watching too many Asian martial arts movies, and many European weapons are just as good.

Besides, carrying a katana around in public makes you look like some kinda trailer-trash ninja wanna-be whacked out on PCPs. See this collection of news items - http://www.thearma.org/essays/Fringe.htm - and note how many of them involved katanas.

Now, if you had the full samurai armour, that's a different story. That'd be cool.

...drawing the sword, slicing through one's opponent, wiping the blood off, and then replacing the sword in a single motion...
But ... zombies come in hordes. ::) No time to replace the weapon.

I feed The Pod.

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
Reply #62 on: March 16, 2007, 09:57:27 AM

Reason being a katana has been over glorified thru films and media to be the ancient ninja light saber.
The truth is they are a highly specialized tool meant for slicing, but function poorly for any other purpose... which includes poorly aimed chops, cutting thru armor, or deflecting blows. Because of their unique design they are long and thin, and because of the unique hardening process used they are very hard, but also rather brittle. This means that if your strike is even a little flat the blade can snap side ways.
There's also the myth that Katanas (and all other Japanese swords) can cut anything, including other swords. In an edge-on perfect strike against a sword, that is at least two Rockwell points (a measure of hardness) less, a katana can split it like wood. But the same can be said if the materials or harness are reversed.
Another down side of "ninja" swords, is their lack of mass. Their cutting prowess is based around their sharpness and the abilities of their owner, which is no small reason for the constant training of those who use them. European blades have weight behind them that help overpower defenses, sever limbs, and allow some abuse.

Oh, Planish, good link.
Been chuckling for hours!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 11:39:47 AM by Thaurismunths »

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #63 on: March 16, 2007, 03:42:33 PM
Besides, carrying a katana around in public makes you look like some kinda trailer-trash ninja wanna-be whacked out on PCPs. See this collection of news items - http://www.thearma.org/essays/Fringe.htm - and note how many of them involved katanas.

We're talking about a world populated by zombies and survivors who will probably be fighting each other for supplies almost as much as they're fighting zombies.  I'm not sure looking like a nutcase is a downside.

Anyway, I agree about katanas being hyped up in pop culture.  (Pulp Fiction certainly set it in stone.)  I was actually trying to think about it in practical terms: lots of slicing, nice and long to keep their infected fingernails away from you.  T's point about hardness is valid, but you're not going against metal, just necrotic flesh.  The research material shows us that limbs and heads tend to come off of zombies very easily.  >8->

As for fighting hordes, well, neither firearms nor melee weapons will help you there.  At that point it's down to flamethrowers, explosives, and the terrain.  (And keep a grenade or bomb on yourself, so that when the numbers eventually overwhelm you you can take a final few out and not become one yourself.)

slic

• Hipparch
  • Stephen Lumini
Reply #64 on: March 16, 2007, 04:28:08 PM
...and not become one yourself.)
Has anyone really considered the downside of being a zombie?  In the aforementioned Marvel Zombies series, the only problem seems to be the eternal hunger - but other than that, you could get alot done as a zombie.  There is also that new film, Fido.  Seems to me you could be a fairly productive member of society with a little help ;)

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
Reply #65 on: March 16, 2007, 04:55:36 PM
...and not become one yourself.)
Has anyone really considered the downside of being a zombie?  In the aforementioned Marvel Zombies series, the only problem seems to be the eternal hunger - but other than that, you could get alot done as a zombie.  There is also that new film, Fido.  Seems to me you could be a fairly productive member of society with a little help ;)

If I remember my documentaries well, they are in constant anguish and pain, and only BRAAAAAINS will dull their cravings.

Planish

• Hipparch
  • Fun will now commence.
    • northernelectric.ca
Reply #66 on: March 17, 2007, 03:17:41 AM
...There's also the myth that Katanas (and all other Japanese swords) can cut anything, including other swords. In an edge-on perfect strike against a sword, that is at least two Rockwell points (a measure of hardness) less, a katana can split it like wood. But the same can be said if the materials or harness are reversed. ...

Mythbusters did a thing with several sword vs. sword combinations. Wikipedia summarizes:
Myth: "The Count of Monte Cristo: A sword can cut off the blade of another sword."
A genuine Japanese-constructed katana did slice through the replica stainless-steel sword. It also broke another genuine sword, but this break was caused by stress fracturing rather than being cut through.
Katana vs. Rapier: Rapier was bent into snapping, but not cut.
Claymore vs. Katana: Katana flexed but didn't break.
Claymore vs. Viking sword: Viking sword severely nicked the Claymore. In the end, though some swords managed to break the other, none were able to actually cut through another sword.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_MythBusters_special_episodes

I saw that episode, but I don't recall if they took care to make sure that the blade-to-blade contact was made at the percussion points of both blades. That's sort of the "sweet spot", which depends on the distribution of mass along the length of the blade.
I also don't recall exactly which sword was swung by their machine, and which was clamped into an upright position. I'm pretty sure that when a katana was one of them, it was in the swinging machine.

I've handled a blade patterned after something like a viking sword, and even though rather wide (2"?) it was surprisingly light and nicely balanced.
Rapiers (which are intended for thrusting and not chopping) should flex sideways. A guy I know spoke of some good blades (possibly from Del Tin Armouries?) that could be bent double almost tip to pommel, and they'd spring right back. On the other hand, I've bent a rapier blade about a foot forward from the hilt the first time I used it simply by parrying another blade. It was mostly due to some sort of manufacturing defect and I received a replacement from the merchant.

For a great tune with some tips on zombies and possession, download Dancing In The Head by The Mekons, from
http://www.epitonic.com/index.jsp?refer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.epitonic.com%2Fartists%2Fmekons.html

I feed The Pod.

sirana

• Lochage
Reply #67 on: March 21, 2007, 04:40:00 PM
check out this bonus episode of Red vs. Blue where they are discussing their plans for the time that the zombies overrun the earth.
http://rvb.roosterteeth.com/archive/episode.php?id=226

fiveyearwinter

• Peltast
Reply #68 on: March 21, 2007, 06:47:04 PM
What is the optimum size of a survivor unit? Would you go all "zombie-hunter" and actively hunt/rescue? Or just stay under the radar, surviving, protecting those few left that are close to you?

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #69 on: March 27, 2007, 08:23:33 PM
you could look cool with a katana.  tis all in the way ya walk!  and it doesnt help to be wearin a gee hehe.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
Reply #70 on: March 28, 2007, 01:45:42 PM
What is the optimum size of a survivor unit? Would you go all "zombie-hunter" and actively hunt/rescue? Or just stay under the radar, surviving, protecting those few left that are close to you?

Survivor unit: 3 - Can sleep in shifts, but small enough to go below the Radar and they won't consume more supplies than they can carry. Unfortunately, there's only 3 of them so they can easily be overwhelmed.

Seek and Destroy: 5 - good for most tactical situations, group can split up, also skills can be diversified and specialized (medic, sniper, wizard, etc.). Transportation will be harder to organize, larger and easier to spot, communication skills/equipment becomes necessary.

Small base/compound: 15-25 - enough to have guards, highly specialized survivors, and a few dependants. Supplies will have to be gathered and brought back to the base, low mobility, power struggles and internal conflicts are more likely to occur.

Survivor unit: 3 - Can sleep in shifts, but small enough to go below the Radar and they won't consume more supplies than they can carry. Unfortunately, there are only 3 of them so they can easily be overwhelmed.

Seek and Destroy: 5 - good for most tactical situations, group can split up, also skills can be diversified and specialized (medic, sniper, wizard, etc.). Transportation will be harder to organize, larger and easier to spot, communication skills/equipment becomes necessary.

Small base/compound: 15-25 - enough to have guards, highly specialized survivors, and a few dependants. Supplies will have to be gathered and brought back to the base, low mobility, power struggles and internal conflicts are more likely to occur.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 01:55:30 PM by Thaurismunths »

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
Reply #71 on: March 28, 2007, 01:55:58 PM
you could look cool with a katana.  tis all in the way ya walk!  and it doesnt help to be wearin a gee hehe.
A swagger is just a limp with both legs. ; )

ClintMemo

• Hipparch
Reply #72 on: March 28, 2007, 02:53:37 PM

First rule of D&D - NEVER split the party.  :P

Life is a multiple choice test. Unfortunately, the answers are not provided.  You have to go and find them before picking the best one.

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
Reply #73 on: March 28, 2007, 04:04:04 PM

First rule of D&D - NEVER split the party.  :P

That's only because gamers forget the second rule of D&D - When the GM smiles, it's too late.

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
Reply #74 on: April 09, 2007, 02:05:46 PM
Ok, so, hideouts?