Author Topic: Gallimaufry needs to be split into different forums.  (Read 9195 times)

Raving_Lunatic

• Radiohead Addict (please, do not encourage this)
  • Lochage
  • Red Blue Green
on: November 17, 2008, 08:05:53 PM
Music, Sports, Ect...

just a suggestion, feel free to ignore it if you think it is inappropriate.

Russell Nash

Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 08:19:00 PM
In the last three days there have been four active threads in Gallimaufry.  Is that too much for one board?

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 08:36:33 PM
hey hey hey now russell, dont be mean.
or smug.
or whatev.
suggestions are valued!

but no, i dont think there is a pressing need, at least at the moment.  maybe if it gets too crowded in there, something might be done about it :)

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Anarkey

• Meen Pie
  • Hipparch
  • ...depends a good deal on where you want to get to
Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 08:38:24 PM
I'd prefer if Gallimaufry weren't split off.  It's easier to ignore the random chaff if it all appears in one board.  I typically click the Gallimaufry board and 'mark all as read'.  Two clicks and done.  I'd hate to have to go seven places to 'mark all read' for posts unrelated to EA podcasts.

Winner Nash's 1000th member betting pool + Thaurismunths' Free Rice Contest!

Russell Nash

Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 08:57:36 PM
I'd prefer if Gallimaufry weren't split off.  It's easier to ignore the random chaff if it all appears in one board.  I typically click the Gallimaufry board and 'mark all as read'.  Two clicks and done.  I'd hate to have to go seven places to 'mark all read' for posts unrelated to EA podcasts.

You know there hasn't been a truly pointless (brainless) argument in there in a really long time.  You might want to give a look again.  I think this one in particular would interest you.

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 09:27:47 PM

You know there hasn't been a truly pointless (brainless) argument in there in a really long time.  You might want to give a look again.  I think this one in particular would interest you.

Which really should be in the SF Discussion forum. I didn't notice it was in Galli until you pointed it out (I always go to threads through the unread posts link up top).

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Raving_Lunatic

• Radiohead Addict (please, do not encourage this)
  • Lochage
  • Red Blue Green
Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 09:37:06 PM
Allright, allright, suggestion withdrawn. I guess I kinda forgot about the whole twelve active members situation going on.

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 10:11:40 PM
Well, that's not quite the case. There are the super-actives like the mods, eytanz, DKT, etc., there are people who just come in for the comment threads, and there's a mostly silent majority that lurks and posts where they please. Looking at the stats we average a high of ~40 simultaneous users a day, so definitely more than twelve actives.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Anarkey

• Meen Pie
  • Hipparch
  • ...depends a good deal on where you want to get to
Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 07:00:05 PM

Which really should be in the SF Discussion forum. I didn't notice it was in Galli until you pointed it out (I always go to threads through the unread posts link up top).

I mark read on SF discussion, too.   :P 

To be fair, though, SF discussion is usually about tv or movies, which are (for the most part) media I don't consume.  Not that I don't think other people should consume it.  And post about it.  Extensively.  Where I can easily mark it read.

I'll fess to following the "What are you reading?" thread in Gallimaufry, but that's the only one.

And I read the board the way Heradel does, by going to unread posts, which is why easily marking read threads that don't interest me is important.

Winner Nash's 1000th member betting pool + Thaurismunths' Free Rice Contest!

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #9 on: November 20, 2008, 04:23:16 AM
Music, Sports, Ect...

I disagree.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

davedoty

• Peltast
Reply #10 on: November 20, 2008, 04:53:00 AM
Music, Sports, Ect...

I disagree.

You disagree that we should ignore it if we think it's inappropriate?

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #11 on: November 20, 2008, 04:54:48 AM

I mark read on SF discussion, too.   :P 

To be fair, though, SF discussion is usually about tv or movies, which are (for the most part) media I don't consume.  Not that I don't think other people should consume it.  And post about it.  Extensively.  Where I can easily mark it read.

I'll fess to following the "What are you reading?" thread in Gallimaufry, but that's the only one.

And I read the board the way Heradel does, by going to unread posts, which is why easily marking read threads that don't interest me is important.

Except I usually end up reading everything, because, well, I have two lines of text twixt my handle and stars.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 05:53:10 AM by Heradel »

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #12 on: November 20, 2008, 05:46:14 AM
Music, Sports, Ect...

I disagree.

You disagree that we should ignore it if we think it's inappropriate?

I disagree that it needs to be split.  The one catch-all forum is fine.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Zathras

Reply #13 on: February 06, 2009, 03:10:33 AM
Didn't see any use in starting a new thread about this.

I had it mentioned to me in private that the Contest forum might not be seen by everyone since some people don't **gasp** listen to Escape Pod.  I'm not asking to restructure the forums, I'm just asking what the best approach would be to deal with this.

So, does anybody have any advice?

Russell Nash

Reply #14 on: February 06, 2009, 09:27:42 AM
The people, who don't look through all of the boards, aren't going to enter your contests anyway.  If you want to plug them a little, you can change your signature to link to the newest contest.  Otherwise I don't see you getting a higher percentage of folks.

Zathras

Reply #15 on: February 06, 2009, 12:22:45 PM
Thanks.  I'm quite happy with the way things are going.  I just figured I'd ask since I was asked and I had no answer myself.   ???

MacArthurBug

• Giddy
  • Hipparch
  • I can resist anything except temptation
    • undercaffinated
Reply #16 on: February 06, 2009, 02:17:59 PM
Z- good try. I like things the way they are- more in that when things change I get easily lost. 
I kinda like the idea of linking the newest contest in the siggy. That way people who like to play the conteste- or who want to can just click the link there. And People'd see it because you're an active poster all across the boards. And to plug it elsewhere same thing- link in the sigs. I'd do simular- if I had anything worthwile to plug.

Oh, great and mighty Alasdair, Orator Maleficent, He of the Silvered Tongue, guide this humble fangirl past jumping up and down and squeeing upon hearing the greatness of Thy voice.
Oh mighty Mur the Magnificent. I am not worthy.