Author Topic: Temporarily Unavailable?  (Read 19380 times)

Raving_Lunatic

• Radiohead Addict (please, do not encourage this)
  • Lochage
  • Red Blue Green
on: December 09, 2008, 04:51:49 PM
Hiya all.

I've been browsing the sites recently, as usual, and I've noticed that for periods as long as three hours I won't be able to acess the forums, escape pod or pseudopod. It comes up with a message saying

"I'm sorry, but this page is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later."

This has been happening more and more regularly, no matter which computer I am using (i.e. work or home). Advice?

Zathras

Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 05:03:24 PM
Wait a minute or so and refresh

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 07:24:20 PM
its happenin to everyone... well only for the forums for me.
and frequently too.

as annoyin as it is, there's nothin we can do atm as far as i know.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 05:37:47 AM
Seriously, what the fuck?  The board was down this morning for the twenty or so minutes that I browse before going to work, and it was down when I got home from work.  As far as I know it's been down all goddamn day.  How long has it been back up again before just now (9:35 Pacific)? 

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 05:51:09 AM
Only up again fairly recently.

Happens.

little concerned about things.. I do hope everything, everywhere is ok.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 08:03:28 AM
^ seconded.  i'm worried!

Zathras

Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 12:45:47 PM
My fault.  I didn't use the correct wards before my Pseudo Pod marathon.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 09:47:19 PM
boot to the head

Zathras

Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 10:01:39 PM
 :o  oooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww  you booted me in the head

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #9 on: January 23, 2009, 01:24:21 AM
What is it?  The board software?  The hosting server?  Why is this board the hands-down least-reliable board that I read?

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #10 on: January 23, 2009, 04:56:24 AM
silence! do not question the integrity of the boards! :O!!!
its all the intelligence here, the forums are bursting at the seams.

Russell Nash

Reply #11 on: January 23, 2009, 08:06:00 AM
stePH,  Steve will need to come in and give you the real reason, but I can repeat what he has said in the past.  EA is too popular.  The bandwidth taken by episode downloads is immense.  At the same time the operating budget is not.  This means going with companies that sometimes can't give the reliability that a very expensive company can.  It's not hard to get reliable hosting for forums.  That bandwidth is nothing.  Three 30 minute long podcasts a week is a bit more demanding.

I do not know if that has anything to do with our recent blackout, but it is something to keep in mind.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #12 on: January 23, 2009, 02:28:38 PM
stePH,  Steve will need to come in and give you the real reason, but I can repeat what he has said in the past.  EA is too popular.  The bandwidth taken by episode downloads is immense.  At the same time the operating budget is not.  This means going with companies that sometimes can't give the reliability that a very expensive company can.  It's not hard to get reliable hosting for forums.  That bandwidth is nothing.  Three 30 minute long podcasts a week is a bit more demanding.

The last two Podcastles have been about an hour each, actually.  Yeah, I can see how episode downloads would suck up bandwidth.  Does that include through the feed, or just click-downloads from the site?

Russell Nash

Reply #13 on: January 23, 2009, 05:41:37 PM

The last two Podcastles have been about an hour each, actually.  Yeah, I can see how episode downloads would suck up bandwidth.  Does that include through the feed, or just click-downloads from the site?

That's a Steve specific question that I cannot help you with.

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #14 on: January 23, 2009, 11:04:16 PM
Three 30 minute long podcasts a week is a bit more demanding.

if it's a serious issue what are the chances of setting up a weekly torrent? with an official rss feed it'll be just as easy to track the numbers but it'll take a little of the load off. probably not a lot but it might help.

Russell Nash

Reply #15 on: January 24, 2009, 08:12:19 PM
Three 30 minute long podcasts a week is a bit more demanding.

if it's a serious issue what are the chances of setting up a weekly torrent? with an official rss feed it'll be just as easy to track the numbers but it'll take a little of the load off. probably not a lot but it might help.

Interesting suggestion.  That would definitely help with bandwidth issues, but I don't know what extra work would be involved for Steve.

Zathras

Reply #16 on: January 24, 2009, 08:39:37 PM
I don't know what the heck I'm talking about here, but why not host the forums on a different server?

izzardfan

Reply #17 on: January 24, 2009, 10:43:33 PM
I don't know what the heck I'm talking about here, but why not host the forums on a different server?

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.  Host the downloads in one place and the text (forum, blog sites) on another, so that even if the audio feeds are interrupted, the rest of it stays up.

Russell Nash

Reply #18 on: January 24, 2009, 10:46:05 PM

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.  Host the downloads in one place and the text (forum, blog sites) on another, so that even if the audio feeds are interrupted, the rest of it stays up.

Best guess would be cost.  Remember my initial explanation was conjecture using previous knowledge.  I don't have any specific information yet.

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #19 on: January 25, 2009, 07:14:51 PM
from the last discussion it sounds like the board's software is tetchy. if Steve's custom monitoring software stops then it's just a matter of time before the whole thing folds.

what are the chances of setting up a weekly torrent?
I don't know what extra work would be involved for Steve.

setting up the rss feed would be trivial but stable torrent hosts to seed the episodes would be an effort.

i'm just not sure how much it would help; torrent software with rss capability is still an emerging tech. if only one listener in a thousand is using it then it's not worth the effort.

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #20 on: February 02, 2009, 02:31:45 AM
Effing hell that was a long time.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

FamilyGuy

• Matross
Reply #21 on: February 02, 2009, 04:38:46 AM
Effing hell that was a long time.

Seconded.

When will all the rhetorical questions end?

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #22 on: February 02, 2009, 04:59:32 AM
fourthed (yes, fourthed... there is an invisible thirded)

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #23 on: February 02, 2009, 05:04:41 AM
fourthed (yes, fourthed... there is an invisible thirded)

*While backing away slowly*

"Yes, er, you see the nice, strong men in the white coats? They're here for you. Go with them. I'll be better in the end."
"Really, the struggling accomplishes little.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Ben Phillips

• Lich King
  • Matross
    • Pseudopod
Reply #24 on: February 03, 2009, 05:16:13 AM
We're all swearing at it too.  If I'm not mistaken: Libsyn is hosting the mp3s, and doing a fine job, while the web and forums server is a separate machine which keeps getting taken down by, we strongly suspect, a memory leak in Podpress, the plugin for WordPress -- both of which can be updated at this point and will be soon.  Steve's not optimistic that this is really a long-term fix, particularly seeing the perpetual security problems with WordPress (e.g., wonderful marvelous spam), but it's worth a shot.

Now, when your podcatcher doesn't update that's an unrelated issue, I believe, and we're looking into that as well.