Author Topic: PC Miniature 27: Faery Cats: The Cutest Killers  (Read 10835 times)

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
on: March 20, 2009, 04:06:00 PM
PodCastle Miniature 27: Faery Cats: The Cutest Killers

by Lucy A. Snyder
read by Rachel Swirsky

San Francisco, CA—From country homes to urban server farms, faery cats are taking America by storm as the hottest trend in pets.

16-year-old Melissa Eager’s bedroom is decorated entirely with paintings and statuettes of winged cats, which she has acquired at science fiction conventions around the country.

“I love love love faery cats,” says Eager. “And I had no idea they were for real until I saw one at a shop in Mill Valley. It was all black, and it had long, shiny wings like a raven. So pretty! I was all like, ‘Mom, I will totally die if you don’t get me that!’”

Rated G. Contains… well, faery cats. Which are killers, but you know. Cute.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Anarquistador

• Matross
  • Servant of Fire
    • The Pit
Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 05:30:54 PM
Cute story. Not earth-shattering, but a fun little diversion. Clearly written by someone who understands cats. And it's good to know that Miskatonic University is still going strong. Miskatonic U! Go Squids!

And I dug Rachel Swirsky's valley girl accent.

"Technology: a word we use to describe something that doesn't work yet."

- Douglas Adams

http://www.thereviewpit.com
http://thesuburbsofhell.blogspot.com

MacArthurBug

• Giddy
  • Hipparch
  • I can resist anything except temptation
    • undercaffinated
Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 02:48:45 PM
cute! I'd totally want one- but the idea of my new kitty not just dive bombing my feet, but now my updo.. no thanks

Oh, great and mighty Alasdair, Orator Maleficent, He of the Silvered Tongue, guide this humble fangirl past jumping up and down and squeeing upon hearing the greatness of Thy voice.
Oh mighty Mur the Magnificent. I am not worthy.

Zathras

Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 10:35:07 PM
I liked the story, but didn't care for Rachel's reading.  All the characters seemed too similar.

I would welcome a faery cat into my home.  One does not own a faery cat.  One may own a hell hound, though.

Anarquistador

• Matross
  • Servant of Fire
    • The Pit
Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 02:21:15 AM
Yeah, but good luck finding those asbestos pooper scoopers.
 ;)

"Technology: a word we use to describe something that doesn't work yet."

- Douglas Adams

http://www.thereviewpit.com
http://thesuburbsofhell.blogspot.com

Corydon

• Peltast
Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 10:48:59 AM
DO NOT WANT!

Ha, just kidding.  The story was okay; didn't do much for me, but it make me wonder what faeryLOLcats would look like...

Zathras

Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 11:24:25 AM
DO NOT WANT!

Ha, just kidding.  The story was okay; didn't do much for me, but it make me wonder what faeryLOLcats would look like...

wen u wizz upp on astarr

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 03:19:49 PM
Cool!  A PC mini that doesn't suck!  Those are few and far between.  ;D

I didn't think Rachel made all the characters sound the same.  Even if she did, it was done in the style of an article in a periodical, so it would make sense to have it all in the same voice.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Zathras

Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 03:40:19 PM
Cool!  A PC mini that doesn't suck!  Those are few and far between.  ;D

I didn't think Rachel made all the characters sound the same.  Even if she did, it was done in the style of an article in a periodical, so it would make sense to have it all in the same voice.

I'm not arguing here, just trying to explain.  All the voices felt the same to me.  Looking at it as if it was in a periodical, that makes sense.  I still didn't like the reading.  It wasn't anywhere near bad enough for me to stop listening, but I'd prefer this story in print over audio.

Poppydragon

• Peltast
Reply #9 on: March 24, 2009, 09:33:12 PM
I liked this and I'm so pleased to be able to say that. A lovely premise, and I'd go along with the periodical idea for the reading, it worked for me  :)

Man - despite his artistic pretensions, his sophistication, and his many accomplishments - owes his existence to a six inch layer of topsoil and the fact that it rains.

Windup

• Hipparch
Reply #10 on: March 25, 2009, 01:07:46 AM
I liked this and I'm so pleased to be able to say that. A lovely premise, and I'd go along with the periodical idea for the reading, it worked for me  :)

Since you're in the "More like this!" camp, I think you'll like the collection mentioned in the outro: Installing Linux on a Dead Badger.  It's a short, fun little book I got it as a subscription premium from Strange Horizons, and I thought it was a complete hoot.  Most (but not all) stories in the collection are magazine-style features on the brave new magical world.  (f'rinstance, if you think competing with people who draw Third-World wages is tough, imagine the economic impact of zombie labor.)

I loved Rachel's reading, BTW.

"My whole job is in the space between 'should be' and 'is.' It's a big space."

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #11 on: March 25, 2009, 03:22:33 AM

Ignoring everything about the reading, I think the text made it clear that this was meant to be a news or magazine article.

eytanz

Reply #12 on: March 25, 2009, 06:38:50 PM
Boring. And that's really all I have to say about it.

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #13 on: March 25, 2009, 11:29:02 PM
I'm reserving my comment on the reading for a PM.

The story was interesting, I guess, but Dunesteef did it better with Kevin Anderson's Framing and Mounting Fairies. As a news person, this struck me as either a poorly-edited article in a periodical or a poorly-edited piece on 60 Minutes/Dateline. NO newsmagazine would've kept the comments about the drinking, or the Harvard business school... or they would at least have broken them up with other information.

I give it a meh for content.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

thomasowenm

• Lochage
  • Servant of The Orator Maleficent
Reply #14 on: March 26, 2009, 02:33:56 AM
8 out of 10 for cool factor, cats with wings.   

While the idea was good, the execution fell flat.  I thought for a while that it was incomplete because, by the end of the story I had forgotten this was supposed to be a news story.  I agree with listener that no editor worth his salt would let this article pass.  The vignets were interesting in of themselves.  But because it is a news article there should have been a summation at the end, recapping or stressing the point of the story. 

On a side, if editors would let this pass no wonder newspapers are on their last breath.

Thank god fairy month is finally over.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #15 on: March 26, 2009, 05:03:41 PM
On a side, if editors would let this pass no wonder newspapers are on their last breath.
I've seen the most doG-awful non-news articles gracing the pages of the once-esteemed New York Times; print journalism has been coughing up blood for years.

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #16 on: March 26, 2009, 05:15:26 PM
I've seen the most doG-awful non-news articles gracing the pages of the once-esteemed New York Times; print journalism has been coughing up blood for years.

The red is on their ledgers, not their pages. And yes there are fluff pieces in the paper, but heaven forfend we compare their fluff pieces to TV — Worse, creeping ideological slant, "Is something in your house going to kill your child tonight?" teasers — Radio — save NPR, see TV — and the internet/blogs, which is still living off of the print media and hasn't made a lot of progress into filling some of their shoes save in aggregation. The Times is still a paragon, and print journalism in general is attempting to do what they did ten years ago with a lot fewer resources.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Zathras

Reply #17 on: March 26, 2009, 06:07:27 PM
I gotta disagree on the radio issue.  There are quality shows out there, you just have to find them.  I listen to a lot of satellite radio, so I do have more choices. 

DarkKnightJRK

• Peltast
Reply #18 on: July 18, 2009, 08:36:14 PM
Cats with wings? We're all doomed. DOOMED I SAY.

Anyway, good story--it did feel like an article one might read on Newsweek and the like. :)

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #19 on: December 15, 2009, 09:47:24 PM
This one didn't grab me.  A plot arc or some characters would've been nice.

It could be partly because I don't really like cats, and the thought of cats with wings isn't particularly intriguing to me.  And that was all the story had that made it different, the winged cats, so if that falls flat, it all does.  If it had been a story that took place in a world of cats, and the story involved a character and things happening to that character, I might've liked it more.