Author Topic: China hates Escape Artists  (Read 9561 times)

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
on: March 28, 2009, 10:17:38 AM
well the Great Firewall has struck again.  I am here in China (Xiangfan, Hubei province) and some time since the 21st of March feedburner feeds can no longer be accessed.  I am using itunes as my podcatcher and no i don't want to change if at all possible because when downloaded by other programs, my ipod wont recognize them as a podcast and it plays havoc with my music organization.  My question is any suggestions on how I can continue receiving my weekly fixes of escape pod, pseudopod, and podcastle (not to mention about 20 other podcast feeds)?  I also can no longer access the tor website to download tor, have tried a couple of my browser based proxies to access but so far no luck :(

*edit 3/29 8:54 GMT +8  it won't update if i tell it to update podcast, but if I go to the shows page in itunes i can tell it to get episode and it downloads it just fine, in fact faster than it normally would from just teh feed (frequent time outs with the feed for whatever reason).  This works for escape artists, but not all of my other feeds that are no longer able to connect to the server.    Now i am really confused and i doublechecked the feed and it's not a feedburner feed.  though if I click on the feed from pseudopod.org it also is blocked currently.  God I hate the great firewall at times.  Usually it's not much of a problem for me, but now it's sending me into withdrawls on my feeds.*
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 12:58:08 AM by lowky »

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 04:57:46 PM
I suppose you could listen to them on the individual websites, though not on your MP3 player.

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

Swamp

• Hipparch
Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 04:22:46 PM
it won't update if i tell it to update podcast, but if I go to the shows page in itunes i can tell it to get episode and it downloads it just fine

Thanks for the tip. That worked for me here in Shanghai too

The "great firewall" is interesting to work with.  I have had trouble getting on Live Journal here at my hotel.  I can get to it when I am at the plant I am working at, but that is on a the network of the company that I am working for here (of course I don't have time to post on LJ there).  I don't know it they have extra privileges or not.  Strange.

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 02:42:56 AM
it won't update if i tell it to update podcast, but if I go to the shows page in itunes i can tell it to get episode and it downloads it just fine

Thanks for the tip. That worked for me here in Shanghai too

The "great firewall" is interesting to work with.  I have had trouble getting on Live Journal here at my hotel.  I can get to it when I am at the plant I am working at, but that is on a the network of the company that I am working for here (of course I don't have time to post on LJ there).  I don't know it they have extra privileges or not.  Strange.
web proxies are LJ's friend  ;)

Swamp

• Hipparch
Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 11:39:40 PM
Which LJ proxy do you use? I am having a problem logging in with the ones I am using.

Ben Phillips

• Lich King
  • Matross
    • Pseudopod
Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 12:03:12 PM
If you can get BitTorrent to work, there is a Pseudopod torrent containing most of the past episodes:  http://www.mininova.org/tor/2083431

Not sure about the other two podcasts though.  Anyone know of torrents for those?

Raving_Lunatic

• Radiohead Addict (please, do not encourage this)
  • Lochage
  • Red Blue Green
Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 06:05:29 PM
podcastle- no one's bothered as it's too new.
Escape Pod- if I had the HD space I'd get them all from the website and seed a torrent. don't know of any.