Author Topic: PC Miniature 37: Hall Of Mirrors  (Read 7798 times)

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
on: August 29, 2009, 02:01:27 AM
PC Miniature 37: Hall Of Mirrors

By Bruce Holland Rogers.
Read by Barry Deutsch.

One afternoon during his lunch hour, Emory wasn’t feeling particularly hungry. It was the monthly free-admission day at the art museum, so instead of getting a sandwich he went in to look at paintings. “This one,” he said to himself, “makes me think of flying, except that the blue is not right for the sky. It is more of a painting about sorrow, I think. Of flying through sorrow.”

Emory was in the habit of mumbling his thoughts aloud, but usually he was so quiet, his words so indistinct, that no one knew what he was saying. This time, however, a woman who stood near him said, “Interesting. Then what do you make of the companion piece?”

He looked at her as she stood waiting, an earnest expression on her face. He nearly apologized, nearly told her that he knew nothing about art. But then he glanced at the second painting and the words were out of his mouth, clearly and distinctly this time. “All that whiteness makes me think of hospitals. The jagged line there, the bucket that is tipped over but isn’t spilling a drop — it must be the psychiatric ward of the hospital. The yellow corners, the dead flies make sure that I know not to take comfort in the whiteness. Fear of insanity. That’s what I see.”

Rated PG. for reflected nihilism.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Gia

• Palmer
Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 05:40:43 PM
I liked this one. I really enjoyed how he got droves of adoring fans by saying random things. I'm not quite sure how the multiplication connects with that (I was probably laughing too much when that detail came up), but that was funny too.

eytanz

Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 09:51:47 AM
I liked this one a lot. Clever, well-written, and perfectly paced.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 01:59:45 PM
Didn't suck!  :)

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 11:17:04 AM
Cute. Ended rather suddenly, though -- felt to me like the author didn't quite know how to finish off what they'd started.

The narration was a little too "mannered" or "staged" for me.

scatterbrain

• Extern
Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 08:50:47 PM
I liked how self-reference and breaking the fourth wall is mocked(breaking the fifth wall?). ???

l33tminion

• Palmer
Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 10:38:33 PM
This one is one of my favorite BHR stories.  The premise is interesting, the ending is a bit surprising, it's exactly as long as it should be and no longer.  Plus I like that you could view it as a just-so story about the origin of the internal critic.

thomasowenm

• Lochage
  • Servant of The Orator Maleficent
Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 12:00:51 AM
I did enjoy this up until the end.  I still can't put together how he multiplied himself with mirrors.  Although this is a perfect example of how people will believe any crap if they think the person is knowledgable.  I am surprised the followers didn't ask Emery to comment on their farts.   The mob checks their brains at the door and let's Emery do all the critical thinking....  Hmmm... I wonder if that was the intention, I better find Emery and ask his opinion.

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 12:04:44 AM
I did enjoy this up until the end.  I still can't put together how he multiplied himself with mirrors.  Although this is a perfect example of how people will believe any crap if they think the person is knowledgable.  [...]

Magic is knowing one more thing than your audience.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

izzardfan

Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009, 03:30:02 AM
I made the mistake of listening to this twice while very tired from moving, and fell asleep, through no fault of the author or reader.  I amended the situation by listening a third time in my car (and obviously NOT falling asleep) and enjoyed the story quite a bit.  The multiplying Emorys seemed logical, as I felt that just as his audience was affected by his interpretations, he was affected by seeing himself over and over, and "worked the magic" on himself.  I wondered, once the story ended, how long it would take to fill up the rest of that world with copies of him.

mbrennan

• Matross
Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 01:23:44 AM
I remember this reader from "On the Banks of the River of Heaven," and he still doesn't work for me.  It feels like he's taken the advice to read slowly TOO much to heart -- I kept thinking the story would have been three minutes shorter if it had gone at a more natural pace.  I almost stopped listening because the pauses.  were driving.  me batty; had it been a full-sized piece, rather than a miniature, I probably would have quit.

MacArthurBug

• Giddy
  • Hipparch
  • I can resist anything except temptation
    • undercaffinated
Reply #11 on: October 12, 2009, 11:27:55 AM
I really liked this. The tie up was odd.. but good overall

Oh, great and mighty Alasdair, Orator Maleficent, He of the Silvered Tongue, guide this humble fangirl past jumping up and down and squeeing upon hearing the greatness of Thy voice.
Oh mighty Mur the Magnificent. I am not worthy.

LaShawn

• Lochage
  • Writer Mommies Rule!
    • The Cafe in the Woods
Reply #12 on: October 15, 2009, 05:07:19 PM
Cute story. I didn't get how he started multiplying at the end, but it was still funny. In fact, I think there's an Emory in my head now, telling me to rewrite that last sentence...

--
Visit LaShawn at The Cafe in the Woods:
http://tbonecafe.wordpress.com
Another writer's antiblog: In Touch With Yours Truly

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #13 on: November 09, 2009, 09:05:05 PM
Meta-fiction!!!  Yeah, I like a good piece of meta-fiction and this was one of those.  I loved how one of the multiples was standing behind the writer commenting on the ending of the story, which ended up being incorporated into the ending.

The characters aren't really deep, but that didn't bother me in something so short.  It's a great premise for flash fiction.  Good show!