Author Topic: PC083: The Petrified Girl  (Read 14168 times)

LaShawn

• Lochage
  • Writer Mommies Rule!
    • The Cafe in the Woods
Reply #25 on: January 11, 2010, 06:07:07 PM
I guess I agree with most of everyone's statements. I was drawn into the story until the end, when it became too much of an 'all's right with the world' ending, particularly because I didn't think Cassie had changed. Her "I love her" seemed to be perfunctory at best, and I got the feeling that once the joy of the babies wear off, she'd be looking for another girl to shack up again. Also, she felt like an unreliable narrator to me. When she found the raised scar on Maida and assumed that a guy did it, I found myself thinking it could have also been easily the twin sister as well...

An okay story for me, I guess.

--
Visit LaShawn at The Cafe in the Woods:
http://tbonecafe.wordpress.com
Another writer's antiblog: In Touch With Yours Truly

ckastens

• Extern
Reply #26 on: January 25, 2010, 01:56:37 PM
I really enjoyed this one. The characters were deep and well thought out. The story was full of surprises for me. I expected the ending to be dark, or sad, but I was happily surprised by the "breaking of the cycle".  Great story!

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #27 on: January 28, 2010, 02:11:10 PM
Everyone's already said everything I would have said:

* +1 for gay characters not revolving around sex or cliche
* +1 for the narration/acting
* -1 for the buildup to the ending
* +1 to the person who analyzed Cassie's character as being somewhat self-centered
* +1 to the person who said "it's going to suck in a month when Cassie moves on"

That's all I got.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

yicheng

• Matross
Reply #28 on: February 02, 2010, 02:17:33 AM
I like this story because it's gay protagonist is a human being, meaning she was faults and virtues (okay mostly faults).  A lot of her qualities: stubbornness, promiscuity, fear of commitment, emotional distance, etc would be found into a lot young men (or taken as a sign of misogyny, depending on who you ask).  But I like that she is who she is, and she's not sugarcoated as a stereotype.  She's an idiot for wandering out into the desert alone and without water, but she's got balls.

As for the story itself, it was promising, but it felt a bit undeveloped.  In the end we're left with a lot of unanswered questions.  Maeda as a character seems rather one-dimensional, and Cassie remain opaque about her past.  We don't really end up finding out anything substantial about any of the characters, and as a result it's to say it was a good story since it feels like we only got to listen to the first chapter of a novel.