Author Topic: I shall dump short stories here.  (Read 6251 times)

AJHunter

• Extern
on: February 10, 2010, 04:48:07 PM
(see title)
I offer these to whatever podcast wishes to buy one/them, for their normal price.

#####

Terra Integumentarum
By Adam Jaeger

As I walk across the vast, soft field, I gaze around me at the natural beauty. I inspect the tall, curved stalks, coming up from holes in the ground, rising up beyond what the eye can see, and gently arching down, coming to a tapered end. The comfortable warmth, rising from the moist ground, calms me. A man could loose himself here, among the valleys and rises of the never ending landscape.
I have decided to explore a hard, crusty, reddish-brown hill that appeared one day, while I was away, in a different area of my world. As I approach the mound, I feel a sense of minisculity; I like this, it makes my world that much bigger.
I feel the mound. It's rough, and a little bit cooler than the surface. Upon inspection, I find that this rough protrusion is slightly sepperate from the rest of the ground at it's base.
I dig my fingers under the mass, and raise it up a little. It's warmer underneath it, and is considerably more moist. I lift it a little more, and a small ammount of a warm, bright red fluid seeps out from a small rip in the ground. I continue to peel back the annomaly, and more of the stuff oozes out, forming a small globule. The crusty bit comes off, so that it's hanging on by a small part of the ground, and more fluid flows out. The liquid begins to coagulate. Eventualy I loose intrest, and retire to my little cavern.
In my cavern, the ground wraps arround to form ceilings and walls, and is covered in a thick, moist sludge. There are more of the stalks, but they're smaller here, and they keep me from falling out of my abode. The next morning, after the long, rod-like suns flicker to life, I go back out to where I had peeled back the crusty mound, and find that a new one has formed, but the origional is still hanging from the ground. A week passes before I visit again, and when I do, the mound is gone, and in it's place, there is a faint white patch which is slightly tougher than the rest of the ground.
Lying back on the patch, I wonder if anyone else is out there in the vast cosmos, and I wonder if they have a world all to themselves.

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 06:15:51 PM
Here are the submission guidelines for the various 'pods, with info on where to send the stories:

http://pseudopod.org/guidelines/
http://podcastle.org/guidelines/
http://escapepod.org/guidelines/

:)

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 06:18:10 PM
Ha  :D  Taliia beat me to it.

I offer these to whatever podcast wishes to buy one/them, for their normal price.

I just want to caution you that I don't think that any of the podcasts are likely to publish anything that isn't sent through the proper channels.  Check out their submision guidelines -- Escape Pod: go here.  Pseudopod: go here.  PodCastle: go here.

The only exception would be if the editors read a story they liked in another reputable magazine.

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

AJHunter

• Extern
Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 06:46:14 PM
yeah, I know... I guess it's more to just get my stories out there.

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 06:47:02 PM
also a warning.  when you post a story to an open forum it counts as publishing it.  this doesn't matter to most markets (definitely not escape artists) but some will demand previously unpublished works.

we used to have a password protected area where people could post their stuff for review but it was quiet for a while and i don't see it here anymore.

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 06:55:15 PM
also a warning.  when you post a story to an open forum it counts as publishing it.  this doesn't matter to most markets (definitely not escape artists) but some will demand previously unpublished works.

we used to have a password protected area where people could post their stuff for review but it was quiet for a while and i don't see it here anymore.

Er, no, it's still up and running, albeit that it is one of the quieter regions hereabouts.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 07:03:45 PM

Er, no, it's still up and running, albeit that it is one of the quieter regions hereabouts.

Regrettably. Mostly it's me and Scattercat. :)

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 07:23:45 PM
ah, there it is.  maybe i was dropped from the pass list for inactivity?  maybe i was just blind.

does anybody know if we made the area open to everyone who creates an account (but not anonymous users) would that still make the stories posted unpublished?  that could create more action in the area.

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #8 on: February 10, 2010, 09:00:54 PM
ah, there it is.  maybe i was dropped from the pass list for inactivity?  maybe i was just blind.

does anybody know if we made the area open to everyone who creates an account (but not anonymous users) would that still make the stories posted unpublished?  that could create more action in the area.

Hm, you're still a member of the critique forum usergroup, let me know if you can get to it by clicking here: http://forum.escapeartists.net/index.php?board=58.0

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #9 on: February 10, 2010, 09:52:32 PM
i was missing the obvious.  my account had logged out so i couldn't see the crit group.

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #10 on: February 10, 2010, 09:59:28 PM
My friend, I have but one thing to say to that:

;D

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #11 on: February 10, 2010, 11:28:48 PM
Regrettably. Mostly it's me and Scattercat. :)

And eytanz, sometimes.

eagle37

• Extern
Reply #12 on: May 06, 2010, 02:15:26 PM
Hmmm, Crit Forum!

Whose butt does one have to kis......... Excuse me, to whom does one have to apply to get access? cant see it on the main menu

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #13 on: May 06, 2010, 02:26:53 PM
Hmmm, Crit Forum!

Whose butt does one have to kis......... Excuse me, to whom does one have to apply to get access? cant see it on the main menu

Yes, that's deliberate. We only grant access to those who ask to keep it behind another layer of privacy so as to protect unpublished status. If you want to access send me a private message as a reminder and I'll go flip the switch after I get out of class today.