Author Topic: Not getting notifications  (Read 12964 times)

Wilson Fowlie

• Hipparch
    • The Maple Leaf Singers
on: May 26, 2010, 06:32:55 AM
I'm no longer getting any email notifications for any of the threads I have set to notify me.  Could this be related to the 'not posting' problem in the other thread?  Or do I just have too many now?

"People commonly use the word 'procrastination' to describe what they do on the Internet. It seems to me too mild to describe what's happening as merely not-doing-work. We don't call it procrastination when someone gets drunk instead of working." - Paul Graham

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 12:10:37 PM
I think it's related; I stopped getting e-mail notifications of private messages.

Wilson Fowlie

• Hipparch
    • The Maple Leaf Singers
Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 06:08:14 PM
I've just gotten two notifications; the problem has either been fixed or it went away itself.  If the former, thanks!  If the latter, congrats!  :)

"People commonly use the word 'procrastination' to describe what they do on the Internet. It seems to me too mild to describe what's happening as merely not-doing-work. We don't call it procrastination when someone gets drunk instead of working." - Paul Graham

Wilson Fowlie

• Hipparch
    • The Maple Leaf Singers
Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 10:17:12 PM
I regret to report that this problem is occurring again.  At the same time, the forum software is double-posting comments.  I assume the two problems are related since they seemed to start up (again?) at the same time.

Not complaining, just informing, in case there's someone who knows what to go in and tweak/reset/fix but doesn't yet know there's a problem.

Ben Phillips

• Lich King
  • Matross
    • Pseudopod
Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 01:26:41 PM
I am guessing this is due to the server reboot a few days ago, which in turn was in response to server outage.  The load was spiking, and we still haven't figure out why.  :(  Our sysad is investigating, so it's hard to say offhand what keeps causing it.  Sorry 'bout that.

Ben Phillips

• Lich King
  • Matross
    • Pseudopod
Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 01:27:46 PM
Oh wait, I see what you mean.  Every comment gets you a "you already posted this" notification.  Now that is weird.

Ben Phillips

• Lich King
  • Matross
    • Pseudopod
Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 01:28:19 PM
Hmm, although that one didn't...  still testing here..

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 01:33:17 PM
I've gotten an intermittent mixture of normal operation, "Someone else has posted!" with my post being the "already posted," "You've already posted this message," and "Error.  Go back and retry."  In all cases, the post actually appeared as per normal and without actual problems, but the forum freaked out in various ways about it.

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 01:34:29 PM
I was getting that yesterday.

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

Wilson Fowlie

• Hipparch
    • The Maple Leaf Singers
Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 06:53:09 PM
The load was spiking, and we still haven't figure out why.  :(

Regular forum comments and three fabulous contests in a row are just too much awesome for it to handle, I guess.  :)

By the way, both the problems I described, plus I think one other, were happening back at the end of May, too, in case the sysad or someone remembers what they may have done back then?

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #10 on: July 23, 2010, 07:44:39 PM
Count me in for a "me too".  having the same problems.  I've had them before (could've been back in May).  Glad to know it's not just me.  I've tried disabling then re-enabling notification for the topics and that changes nothing.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #11 on: July 23, 2010, 07:45:36 PM
Count me in for a "me too".  having the same problems.  I've had them before (could've been back in May).  Glad to know it's not just me.  I've tried disabling then re-enabling notification for the topics and that changes nothing.

To be more specific, I've been having all of the intermittent warnings when I post that Scattercat described, as well as the lost notifications.

Faraway Ray

• Lochage
  • "I loved it!" "So? You also loved World War II!"
Reply #12 on: July 23, 2010, 09:56:40 PM
I'm having the same problems. Only noticed it within the past few days.

A story of lust, violence and jelly.

Well, Here I Am. My little slice of the blaggin' world.

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #13 on: July 24, 2010, 10:30:58 PM
I'm having the same problems. These are definitely much like the ones I saw in May (Error while posting - double clicking??), but not exactly....

Wilson Fowlie

• Hipparch
    • The Maple Leaf Singers
Reply #14 on: July 28, 2010, 06:33:17 PM
Email notifications are working again.  Whether the other problem(s?) have been fixed, I'm not sure yet.

Thank you!

Edited to add: This post didn't get an double-posting error, so that's something.

This struck me as odd: When I clicked the 'Edit' icon in the corner to add the above line, a large green banner with the text "Loading..." momentarily appeared at the top of the visible part of the page.  That seems new to me.  Not bad in any way, just a little startling at first. :)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 06:37:48 PM by Wilson Fowlie »

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #15 on: July 28, 2010, 06:59:49 PM
Email notifications are working again.  Whether the other problem(s?) have been fixed, I'm not sure yet.

Thank you!

Edited to add: This post didn't get an double-posting error, so that's something.

This struck me as odd: When I clicked the 'Edit' icon in the corner to add the above line, a large green banner with the text "Loading..." momentarily appeared at the top of the visible part of the page.  That seems new to me.  Not bad in any way, just a little startling at first. :)

I just got a notification as well.  Yay!

LaShawn

• Lochage
  • Writer Mommies Rule!
    • The Cafe in the Woods
Reply #16 on: July 28, 2010, 08:26:47 PM
You know, I was *wondering*. I stopped getting email notifications around the same time Yahoo started acting weird for me, so I thought it was related to that. Glad to see that it wasn't. Well...I'm not glad that the forum's having problems...I mean I feel bad...okay, I'll just shut up.

--
Visit LaShawn at The Cafe in the Woods:
http://tbonecafe.wordpress.com
Another writer's antiblog: In Touch With Yours Truly

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #17 on: July 28, 2010, 08:31:25 PM

That's always happened. :)

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Wilson Fowlie

• Hipparch
    • The Maple Leaf Singers
Reply #18 on: July 28, 2010, 09:29:11 PM

That's always happened. :)

Huh.  First I've noticed it.  (Not that I edit my posts that often.)  Thanks!

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #19 on: July 29, 2010, 12:39:55 AM
Well it doesn't always show.  I don't know why it shows or when, but I've seen it off and on.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #20 on: July 29, 2010, 11:57:16 AM
Well it doesn't always show.  I don't know why it shows or when, but I've seen it off and on.

It is not the place of mere mortals to know when and why the Loading, in its blazing glory, chooses to appear before us.  It is enough to rejoice and imbibe to celebrate the glory of its existence, and to know that one day, whether it be sooner or later, the Loading will appear again.

Wilson Fowlie

• Hipparch
    • The Maple Leaf Singers
Reply #21 on: July 29, 2010, 01:31:52 PM

It is not the place of mere mortals to know when and why the Loading, in its blazing glory, chooses to appear before us.  It is enough to rejoice and imbibe to celebrate the glory of its existence, and to know that one day, whether it be sooner or later, the Loading will appear again.

:D

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #22 on: July 29, 2010, 04:53:00 PM
And lo did the Loading begin, and the server did reply to the ping in 0.019 seconds, and the user did rejoice and read the post most recent.  And it was Good.

Wilson Fowlie

• Hipparch
    • The Maple Leaf Singers
Reply #23 on: August 17, 2010, 04:33:56 PM
Okay, why can't someone else bring it up for a change?

I'm sorry to say I'm not getting notifications again.  Also again, it's not a complaint, it's just information for the person (people?) who run the forum software that something has gone awry.

The problem started sometime over the weekend (I'm sorry that I can't be more specific); I've been refraining from pointing it out before now in the hope that someone else would step forward first this time.   :-\

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #24 on: August 17, 2010, 07:07:54 PM
Okay, why can't someone else bring it up for a change?

I'm sorry to say I'm not getting notifications again.  Also again, it's not a complaint, it's just information for the person (people?) who run the forum software that something has gone awry.

The problem started sometime over the weekend (I'm sorry that I can't be more specific); I've been refraining from pointing it out before now in the hope that someone else would step forward first this time.   :-\

Sorry, I was just a little too slow to beat you to the punch this time.

Confirmed, same symptoms, no notifications, and the "double posting" errors.