Author Topic: Death Note  (Read 7079 times)

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
on: June 19, 2010, 06:04:34 PM
Some might think this ought to go in the Pseudopod subforum... but despite being about magic notebooks that will kill anyone whose name is written in them, and despite said notebooks being the property of creepy-looking "shinigami" (gods of death), I just don't consider Death Note to be horror.  The situation of disillusioned law student Light Yagami going vigilante with one such notebook, and the efforts of the world's greatest detective "L" to track him down, strikes me as more of a mystery/crime drama with supernatural elements.

In any case, the two live-action movies Death Note and Death Note: The Last Name are probably the best way to enter the series.  Had I read the 12-volume manga first, I'd most likely have groused about all the story arcs and characters that got left out in the process of condensing the story down to about four-and-a-half hours.  I'm currently about a third of the way into the anime series, which is following the manga very closely.

And an American remake seems to be in production, though I can find no information except a rumored 2011 release date.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Millenium_King

• Lochage
    • Ankor Sabat
Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 09:14:42 PM
The anime is way better than the movies, I think.  The voice acting is spot on (most are the same as the movie dubs, I think) and the story stays tense throughout.  Some people had trouble with the so-called "second arc" but I liked it.  The ending was... well, I won't give that away.

BTW - I always rooted for Light.  EXACTLY AS PLANNED.

Visit my blog atop the black ziggurat of Ankor Sabat, including my list of Top 10 Pseudopod episodes.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 02:55:44 AM
The anime is way better than the movies, I think. 

I tend to agree (though I read the manga after watching the movies, and am now over halfway thru the anime).  But again, I'm glad I saw the movies first so I wasn't bothered by all the stuff that got left out.  And I just think they did a great job with the movies; I even prefer the English dub over the original language track (those who know me, would know how well this speaks of the dub job).

BTW - I always rooted for Light.  EXACTLY AS PLANNED.

I'm on Team L, not Team Kira.  ;)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 08:47:48 PM
I swear I've written something in this thread...
was there somewhere else here that we talked about Death Note?

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Millenium_King

• Lochage
    • Ankor Sabat
Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 08:57:29 PM
But again, I'm glad I saw the movies first so I wasn't bothered by all the stuff that got left out.

What?!  But there's no "DELETE! DELETE! DELETE!" in the movies!!!  He's my (2nd) favorite character!

And I just think they did a great job with the movies; I even prefer the English dub over the original language track...

Totally.  Brian Drummond IS Ryuk.

I'm on Team L, not Team Kira.  ;)

Haha - never would have guessed, what with your icon and all...!

Visit my blog atop the black ziggurat of Ankor Sabat, including my list of Top 10 Pseudopod episodes.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 01:18:20 AM
I swear I've written something in this thread...
was there somewhere else here that we talked about Death Note?

I searched the forums before starting this thread; I found nothing.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 12:15:49 PM
Hmmm maybe I typed a response and got sidetracked before I submitted it... hmmm...

So I started watching the Death Note anime about two years ago after hearing a lot about it, and I got decently far before dropping it unintentionally due to other things I was doing that were taking up my time.  A while later I came back to it and tried to pick it up again from where I left off, but I found I had forgotten just enough to make that difficult.  At some point I need to start over, both reading it and watching it.  I really enjoyed it while I was watching it, and I definitely want to see the live action ones at some point too.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 04:36:36 PM
Hmmm maybe I typed a response and got sidetracked before I submitted it... hmmm...

So I started watching the Death Note anime about two years ago after hearing a lot about it, and I got decently far before dropping it unintentionally due to other things I was doing that were taking up my time.  A while later I came back to it and tried to pick it up again from where I left off, but I found I had forgotten just enough to make that difficult.  At some point I need to start over, both reading it and watching it.  I really enjoyed it while I was watching it, and I definitely want to see the live action ones at some point too.

As much as I love the manga (and anime, which I've almost finished... just one more disc remaining), I highly recommend seeing the theatrical movies first... just so one won't miss what got left out.  Plus, I prefer the "alternate" ending (quite different from the manga and, presumably, the anime).

Go team L!

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 04:52:26 PM

Bazinga. (Bottom of page)

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 06:58:06 PM
aHA!!!
Thank you sir.

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #10 on: August 02, 2010, 05:31:40 PM
if you want to search the forums you can actually search the forums
type in "death note" (with quotes)

gateaux

• Peltast
    • sketch blog
Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 02:50:52 PM
I collected the whole manga as it got translated. I've got to say it's incredibly well-drawn and written (I'm not one for manga or anime really) but I thought it could have ended after you-know-who died (avoiding spoilers!). It went downhill from there super fast. I tried watching the anime, but it comes off as really mellow dramatic and the MC acts like a fruity Power Ranger whenever he's writing in the book. Also tried watching the first live action movie, but it was just such garbage... I'm a huge animation snob and the CG shinigami looked terrible. I thought the whole series could have gone without the Shinigami (Death Gods) in it, just been about a notebook that killed people. 

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #12 on: August 24, 2010, 04:57:41 AM
Also tried watching the first live action movie, but it was just such garbage... I'm a huge animation snob ...

...and yet you can watch TV anime? Most of it is so cheaply done, with as little motion as possible, that I would think an "animation snob" would be put off by it.

gateaux

• Peltast
    • sketch blog
Reply #13 on: August 25, 2010, 03:23:32 AM
Also tried watching the first live action movie, but it was just such garbage... I'm a huge animation snob ...

...and yet you can watch TV anime? Most of it is so cheaply done, with as little motion as possible, that I would think an "animation snob" would be put off by it.

As I wrote in my comment above, I'm not one for TV anime, so no... I do not watch it. Because you're right, it's extremely cheaply and poorly done 90% of the time. Not sure what your point was...

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #14 on: August 25, 2010, 05:51:34 PM
Not sure what your point was...

That makes, like, three of us, I guess...