Author Topic: Latest Torrents  (Read 8798 times)

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
on: July 12, 2010, 08:32:01 AM
Hey, are the EA torrents kept up-to-date? I just tried the PP one and the link is stale -- or at least, mininova has nuked it. I was gonna go ahead and download them all to help with the torrent sharing but the link I Googled only had up to Ep 118. (Extratorrent: http://extratorrent.com/torrent/1622870/Pseudopod.html).

I'm also interested in seeding and/or helping keep up-to-date torrents for all the 'casts.

Ben Phillips

• Lich King
  • Matross
    • Pseudopod
Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 12:56:10 AM
Awesome.  Thanks!  Pseudopod's torrent could use updating, as you've noticed, and I don't think torrents have even existed for the others, at least lately.  If I had time I'd figure out the syntax for a wget command that will make it easy to grab them all from a unix / cygwin command line; if someone hasn't posted here by the time I'm back in a week I'll see if I can play with it for ya.

kibitzer

• Hipparch
Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 08:46:48 AM
Holiday? Hope so. Have a good one.

Ben Phillips

• Lich King
  • Matross
    • Pseudopod
Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 06:44:18 PM
There's probably a more efficient way to slurp down the complete archives of one of these sites, but this should do it when run overnight.  If you don't have a real unix/linux box to do this from and you're stuck with Windows, you can try installing Cygwin (making sure you select wget from the utilities when you do) and that should work too -- although I haven't tested it.  Either way, be sure to run it from the directory where you want a whole lot of data to land (e.g., under Cygwin, navigate to your D: drive by typing 'cd /cygdrive/d').  Replace "pseudopod.org", in BOTH places it appears below, with the address of any EA site, and probably many other WordPress-based podcast sites as well.  For efficiency make sure you edit the list of years as appropriate to the podcast, especially if you're reading this in 2011 or later.

(The command below should be pasted in as though it were all one line, btw.)

wget -A \*mp3\* -nd -r -w 1 -H -D libsyn.com,rawvoice.com,pseudopod.org -nc -np -l1 http://pseudopod.org/{2006,2007,2008,2009,2010}/{0{1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9},10,11,12}

Unfortunately, Libsyn does something weird, probably for statistics tracking, that makes wget want to save each mp3 with a long, unique string of garbage at the end of the filename.  This means:

A) The -nc flag above doesn't really work, which would have allowed you to run this, say, once every few months in the same directory to update everything automatically -- which would have been nice.  Currently running the above command a second time will just blindly download another copy of absolutely everything.

B) And obviously we need to get rid of the garbage in the filenames after the download.  This should do it:

for i in `find . -name \*mp3\*` ; do mv "$i" `echo $i | cut -f 1 -d \?` ; done

Happy slurping!  Let me know when those BitTorrents appear.

kibitzer

• Hipparch
Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 11:55:39 PM
Thanks for the info Ben. I'll set mine up this weekend and let you know. I've no idea how to actually turn this lot into a torrent but I'll Google that; shouldn't be too hard.

Also -- yay! Hipparch!

kibitzer

• Hipparch
Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 01:00:24 AM
For Windows users, there's a Windows version of wget if you don't want to install cygwin: http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/wget.htm

Edit: Forget the above, folks. It can't interpret the URL properly and it stops after trying a single one.

Use Cygwin instead.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 05:07:05 AM by kibitzer »

kibitzer

• Hipparch
Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 05:43:15 AM
Ben, I think your "cut" should use an ampersand rather than a question mark, so:

for i in `find . -name \*mp3\*` ; do mv "$i" `echo $i | cut -f 1 -d \@` ; done

Ben Phillips

• Lich King
  • Matross
    • Pseudopod
Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 06:56:36 AM
Ben, I think your "cut" should use an ampersand rather than a question mark, so:

for i in `find . -name \*mp3\*` ; do mv "$i" `echo $i | cut -f 1 -d \@` ; done

(I'm assuming you meant "at symbol" instead of ampersand.)

Whoa, really?  So are you downloading and getting, e.g.,
Pseudo200.mp3@garbagegarbage
... instead of:
Pseudo200.mp3?garbagegarbage
?

kibitzer

• Hipparch
Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 07:58:31 AM
Dammit , lol, yes, "at" symbol.

Yeah, they're showing up with @ rather than ?. Might be because it's cygwin; dunno. Also sometimes it misses a few. I think it missed one for PP but 10's for PC. Maybe the wait needs to be longer?  Anyway no big deal; that's only really a problem for the initial download. Incremental updates shouldn't cause a problem.

kibitzer

• Hipparch
Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 09:07:59 AM
If anyone has a Demonoid account, could you send me an invitation to join? PM me for whatever details you need. Thanks.

(I think the Psuedopod torrent is being loaded up in various places)

kibitzer

• Hipparch
Reply #10 on: August 25, 2010, 08:43:18 AM
k, i have a demonoid account.

So I've been trying to find out how these torrent thingys work. I think I'm right in saying that once a torrent is created, the contents can't change? At least, without removing said torrent from Demonoid or whatever, then resubmitting it?

If that's the case, I guess it's best to split the torrents up into, say, half-year batches? Or quarterly batches? So, for example, we could have PP from July 2009 to Dec 2009, or PodCastle from Jan 2010 to Mar 2010, then keep creating new ones?

Hoping someone can give me some pointers here, coz I want to get these things up and running but I'm really not that torrent-literate.