Author Topic: Flash Fiction Judging Rules  (Read 33912 times)

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #25 on: January 30, 2007, 05:05:06 AM
Oh, and as far as the "Let's do this every month!" idea is concerned -- right now my brain can't handle even thinking about that.  Let's approach that notion again a little into February, after the submissions have stopped flooding in, and we'll see if there's a volunteer willing to administrate the whole mess on a regular basis.  I'm happy to commit bandwidth and even some money to doing this more often, but I can't continue to commit the time to word-count all the stories, post them, coordinate with the authors, etc. 

I'm also very attracted to the idea of getting an ongoing critique group going for longer works.  Again, that's a logistical discussion I would love to have after January 31 is behind us.

I'm not saying this to discourage anyone from bringing up the ideas -- they're great ideas, and worth discussion.  I just wanted to stick a placeholder in here to say "Yeah, cool enough, and just give me a few days to catch my breath."  >8->

ESCAPE POD - The Science Fiction Podcast Magazine

nemesisau

• Extern
  • Romani Ite Domum
    • Kozaru
Reply #26 on: January 30, 2007, 05:25:32 AM
I'll put my hand up to help out.  One submission per, for one week should be easy enough to keep up with :)

Happy to talk in depth when your brain has reconstituted.

Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.
                                     -USMC
Be water, my friend.
                          - Bruce Lee

smartbombradio

• Peltast
  • Clthulhu loves me, this I know!
    • One Eighteen: Migration
Reply #27 on: January 30, 2007, 07:09:38 AM
Oh, and as far as the "Let's do this every month!" idea is concerned -- right now my brain can't handle even thinking about that.  Let's approach that notion again a little into February, after the submissions have stopped flooding in, and we'll see if there's a volunteer willing to administrate the whole mess on a regular basis.  I'm happy to commit bandwidth and even some money to doing this more often, but I can't continue to commit the time to word-count all the stories, post them, coordinate with the authors, etc. 

I'm also very attracted to the idea of getting an ongoing critique group going for longer works.  Again, that's a logistical discussion I would love to have after January 31 is behind us.

I'm not saying this to discourage anyone from bringing up the ideas -- they're great ideas, and worth discussion.  I just wanted to stick a placeholder in here to say "Yeah, cool enough, and just give me a few days to catch my breath."  >8->

God knows I have no time left to spare.  But to help out with something like this, I'd MAKE time.  I find these little ideas encapsulated in stories fascinating as hell.  Can we start tossing around some vague contest ideas here?

Time Travel, STRONGLY seconded, thirded whatever.
Alternate History, pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease!
Old School Space Opera (Buck Rogers, that sort of meat and potatoes sci fi)
Fantasy (I like me some fantasy.)
And Robot Ninja Crimefighting Pirates (I know, it's been done to death, but I've always been a fan of RobNiCriFiPi fic.)

ClintMemo

• Hipparch
Reply #28 on: January 30, 2007, 01:41:31 PM
Other future contest ideas:
Aliens among us
First contact with aliens
Colonizing the solar system
Nano-bots
Magic and technology in conflict
Dragons

Life is a multiple choice test. Unfortunately, the answers are not provided.  You have to go and find them before picking the best one.

Steven Saus

• Matross
  • mmmm. goat cheese.
    • Ideatrash
Reply #29 on: February 02, 2007, 02:01:54 AM
Having participated in a great many competitions (writing, models, 3d art), I have definitely found that a little restriction actually makes creativity bloom.

Case in point:  300 words is a restriction.   ::)

Walking is the process of controlled stumbling.

smartbombradio

• Peltast
  • Clthulhu loves me, this I know!
    • One Eighteen: Migration
Reply #30 on: February 07, 2007, 10:26:37 PM
Actually, 300 words is kind of an encouragement.  If they had just said short fiction or flash fiction, I don't think we'd get as many new writers. 

Oblio

• Palmer
Reply #31 on: February 08, 2007, 03:37:54 PM
Actually, 300 words is kind of an encouragement.  If they had just said short fiction or flash fiction, I don't think we'd get as many new writers.

I totally agree.  I've wanted to submit something to EscapePod since the beginning, but I was too intimidated, but as soon as I heard about the contest I sat down and kick out a few stories.

So I just want to say thank you to Steve and the anonymous supporter!  ;D

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #32 on: February 08, 2007, 04:43:03 PM
I totally agree.  I've wanted to submit something to EscapePod since the beginning, but I was too intimidated, but as soon as I heard about the contest I sat down and kick out a few stories.

I respect your saying so, and I'm very glad this contest got you to submit.  But we really don't want to be intimidating to anyone.

We're not scary.  Honest!

ESCAPE POD - The Science Fiction Podcast Magazine

Oblio

• Palmer
Reply #33 on: February 08, 2007, 05:12:41 PM
As with most things the "real" was not as intimidating as the imagined. 

Keep up the great work!!