Author Topic: Pseudopod 250: The Voice In The Night  (Read 18642 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
on: October 11, 2011, 09:06:01 PM
Pseudopod 250: The Voice In The Night

By William Hope Hodgson (1877–1918)

Read by Wilson Fowlie

“‘Can’t you come alongside for them?’ he asked.

‘No — I DARE NOT,’ replied the voice, and it seemed to me that in its tones I detected a note of stifled craving — as though the owner hushed a mortal desire.”

Here’s to 250 more!!!

Music in the promo is “The Gift” by Joe Mieczkowski. Music by Music Alley.

Listen to this week's Pseudopod.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 03:44:46 PM by Bdoomed »

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 10:07:55 PM
I originally read this when someone referenced the ending in a comment on Metafilter.  (Implying that someone who, I think, claimed to have enjoyed the Star Wars prequels was equivalently horrific and monstrous to the fungus-man.)  I had to Google the exact phrases and eventually found a full posted version of the story, which I read with tremendous enjoyment.  A good old traditional creep-out.

ElectricPaladin

• Hipparch
  • Holy Robot
    • Burning Zeppelin Experience
Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 10:22:16 PM
The scary thing is that this sort of thing happens in nature. There's this fungus, cordyceps (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cordyceps), that can infect ants and caterpillars. The fungus can then force the insect to climb a blade of grass, so that when it dies the fungus can extend from its head and spread its spores. There's no good reason a fungus like this couldn't evolve in some horrible corner of the world.

Now that I've horrified you all with science (<-- middle school science teacher), let me say that this story was totally brilliant. A classic that never gets old. I loved it and want more.

Captain of the Burning Zeppelin Experience.

Help my kids get the educational supplies they need at my Donor's Choose page.

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 02:19:25 AM
I'd like to say how much I enjoyed Wilson's reading for this one. I genuinely thought his "old man" voice was someone else! But really, the pacing, the clarity, the feeling were all superb.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 01:57:54 PM
Pseudopod 249: Kavar The Rat

Cut-and-paste error?  The first post says "Kavar the Rat" in it.

Anyway, I quite enjoyed this story, a good classic tale that are fun to see from time to time.  Sometimes with classic horror stories you just have to adjust your mindset because you know that the story came out before so many lookalikes, but this was not one of those, for me.  The horror element is creepy and frightening even today without any further modification.

I like when this kind of classic fiction is mixed in with the new stuff every once in a while, keep it up!

And, I'm glad you've stuck around all these episodes Alasdair.  The podcast would not be the same without you.  This is the first fiction podcast I started listening to, and the Alasdair intros and outros were much of the appeal, like the monologue at the end of an Outer Limits episode that brings everything together and delves just enough into the themes to get my mind rolling on layers I may not have noticed in the story.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 03:40:29 PM
Wow. 250! Congrats to Shawn, Al, Graeme and all the fungi eaters past and present in the PP towers  ;D

AND WILLIAM HOPE HODGSON! YAY!

I'd like to say how much I enjoyed Wilson's reading for this one. I genuinely thought his "old man" voice was someone else! But really, the pacing, the clarity, the feeling were all superb.

I'm so with you on Wilson's old man voice. Couldn't hear Fowlie in it at all. Another superb reading, one I'll listen to again shortly :)

Congrats again, Team PP!

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 03:45:29 PM
No idea what you are talking about, unblinking!  (my bad! :P)

Marguerite

• Editor
    • Cast of Wonders
Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 06:22:45 PM
200 endcaps for Alasdair, and 250 episodes for Pseudopod.  Both in October.

Heck of a month, everyone!  Well done!

And with such a classic, wonderful, HORRIBLE story.  SUPERB narration by Mr. Fowlie; bravo sir!

Alea Iacta Est!

eytanz

Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 06:49:10 PM
Great, great story. Really shows why some classics, at least, deserve that designation.

Congrats to Pseduopod on 250 episodes! I can't wait to see what they give us for episode 500 :)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 07:14:21 PM
Congrats to Pseduopod on 250 episodes! I can't wait to see what they give us for episode 500 :)
You're in luck!  Episode 500 is JUST around the corner!
Too bad the corner is about 5 years long.

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"
Reply #10 on: October 13, 2011, 02:06:17 AM
275 is not that far away...

Actually, for those interested - my original intention was to run Robert E. Howard's "Pigeons From Hell" (to tie in with Podcastle's recent, contentious Conan pick) but it's very long. Then I wanted to run Howard's "The Horror From The Mound", but I couldn't completely confirm that it was one of the Howard stories that had entered the public domain.

So... went with Hodgson, as I'd recently enjoyed the DVD of MATANGO (ATTACK OF THE MUSHROOM PEOPLE to us Americans).
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 02:27:31 PM by Sgarre1 »

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"
Reply #11 on: October 13, 2011, 02:11:56 AM
The scary thing is that this sort of thing happens in nature. There's this fungus, cordyceps (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cordyceps), that can infect ants and caterpillars. The fungus can then force the insect to climb a blade of grass, so that when it dies the fungus can extend from its head and spread its spores. There's no good reason a fungus like this couldn't evolve in some horrible corner of the world.

Please keep this in mind until October 21 when we cast "The Cord" by Chris Lewis Carter!

Lawrence

• Extern
    • Weird, Wonderful, Word of Writing Comics
Reply #12 on: October 14, 2011, 05:01:26 PM
This is my first time on the forum as I only recently discovered this podcast and I am loving it. This was one of the strongest stories in my opinion so far as it truly offered up the sense of horror and dread that makes for a classic story. To me there is always something a little scarier about stories set that far in the past. No means of quick communication, no quick ways to escape, no easy outs, there is always something terrifying about that scenario.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #13 on: October 14, 2011, 10:11:21 PM
Cell phones ruined haunted houses.  :-(

yaksox

• Palmer
    • sunny breaks
Reply #14 on: October 15, 2011, 01:18:28 PM
Yep, another great story, great narration.
What I pick up with stories like this is the the different turns of phrase and the way the story is structured.
It was the same with the week before, the translation - the way things are worded in a slightly odd way is interesting.

I guess the only downside is we can't have the author drop in to answer questions.

The old man voice reminded me a little of one of the characters from futurama, so there were moments that weren't intending to sound funny but were ("poop deck" lol!) but the voice didn't overpower the story. It was a good match up.

Congratzz on the 250 team. The effort is greatly appreciated.

HexD

• Extern
Reply #15 on: October 17, 2011, 05:44:36 AM
Anyone else feel like a rough and hot shower after this one? ;)

Creepy and cool. Loved it.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #16 on: October 17, 2011, 01:39:19 PM
Good "old man" voice, by the way.  Reminded me of the original Dumbledore.  :)

birdless

• Lochage
  • Five is right out.
Reply #17 on: October 17, 2011, 04:48:37 PM
Yes, that old man voice was stellar!! I thought it was someone else, too.

I loved this story. I'm not familiar with this author.

Excellent choice for 250! Looking forward to the next 250! It was Psuedopod that made me realize that I enjoy horror fiction. I'd never really tried it before.

pinprick

• Extern
  • tentacular!
Reply #18 on: October 18, 2011, 12:05:36 AM
So good!  I've been reading a lot of Jeff Vandermeer's work lately, so the fungal theme was extra appreciated in my house.  :)  I love how a good, creepy story can keep it's fright-factor for over 100 years. 

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #19 on: October 18, 2011, 07:01:51 PM
Good creepy story. I love how the voice in the night is struggling to maintain humanity by frequent blessings and invocations and also by not spreading the corruption by exposing the schooner.

Also, quick links to the PodCastle stories:
PC179    PC125

And with this story I am, for the first time, fully caught up on PseudoPod. Good thing there are other podcasts around to help fill that time that I've been using to fully catch up on PP. It's going to be weird going to one a week.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"
Reply #20 on: October 18, 2011, 07:33:24 PM
The upcoming promo should bulk things up a bit - 3 extra stories for subscribers and applicable donators.  You could always reacquaint yourself with the series themselves:

COYOTE
Pseudopod 159: Reservation Monsters (http://pseudopod.org/2009/09/11/pseudopod-159-reservation-monsters/)
Pseudopod 167: Love Like Thunder  (http://pseudopod.org/2009/11/06/pseudopod-167-love-like-thunder/)
Pseudopod 182: The Dreaming Way (http://pseudopod.org/2010/02/18/slight-delay-on-pseudopod-182/)

and coming soon, Jim Bihyeh tells a tale of Skinwalkers entitled "The Shooting Way"

THE WHITE STREET SOCIETY
Pseudopod 76: Tales of the White Street Society (http://pseudopod.org/2008/02/08/pseudopod-76-tales-of-the-white-street-society/)
Pseudopod 131: Tales of the White Street Society - The Corpse Army of Khartoum (http://pseudopod.org/2009/02/27/pseudopod-131-tales-of-the-white-street-society-the-corpse-army-of-khartoum/)

and soon to come, dark doings in Chinatown feature in Grady Hendrix's "The Yellow Curse"!

THE SAGA OF GURU KERESH
Pseudopod 127: The Garden and the Mirror (http://pseudopod.org/2009/01/30/pseudopod-127-the-garden-and-the-mirror/)
Pseudopod 198: The Mother and the Worm (http://pseudopod.org/2010/06/11/pseudopod-198-the-mother-and-the-worm/)

and soon come to, in "Nourished by Chaff, We Believe The Glamor", Tim W. Burke warns you about the dangers of kaleidoscopes...

PSEUDOPOD - we'll leave the light off for you...

« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 07:35:47 PM by Sgarre1 »

birdless

• Lochage
  • Five is right out.
Reply #21 on: October 19, 2011, 04:01:27 AM
Yes, that old man voice was stellar!! I thought it was someone else, too.

I loved this story. I'm not familiar with this author.

Excellent choice for 250! Looking forward to the next 250! It was Psuedopod that made me realize that I enjoy horror fiction. I'd never really tried it before.
Good creepy story. I love how the voice in the night is struggling to maintain humanity by frequent blessings and invocations and also by not spreading the corruption by exposing the schooner.

Also, quick links to the PodCastle stories:
PC179    PC125
THE WHITE STREET SOCIETY
Pseudopod 76: Tales of the White Street Society (http://pseudopod.org/2008/02/08/pseudopod-76-tales-of-the-white-street-society/)
Pseudopod 131: Tales of the White Street Society - The Corpse Army of Khartoum (http://pseudopod.org/2009/02/27/pseudopod-131-tales-of-the-white-street-society-the-corpse-army-of-khartoum/)
I stand corrected: apparently I am familiar with this author and just didn't know it. I'm a huge fan of the Carnacki stories! And I also got confused thinking that the White Street Society were Carnacki stories as well. Same vein, though.

Sandra M. Odell

• Peltast
Reply #22 on: October 19, 2011, 05:05:02 AM
Thoroughly enjoyed this episode:  the story; the narrative; and our Esteemed Host.

Thanks to the Pseudopod team for continuing the mix of classic pieces and modern tales.

Sandra
sandramodell.com

The Far Stairs

• Peltast
    • A Thousand Lifetimes in an Hour
Reply #23 on: October 25, 2011, 01:32:41 AM
This story was so great. I couldn't believe it was written over 100 years ago. You could tell that Hodgson got this idea and was just totally enthralled by it. I bet it was one of those stories that seemed to write itself.

Jesse Livingston
Head of Historical Archives
The Far Stairs
www.athousandlifetimes.com

rotheche

• Palmer
Reply #24 on: November 05, 2011, 01:08:50 AM
I absolutely utterly completely and totally loved everything about this story.

First, Wilson's reading: like the others who've commented, I found the voice of the lost stranger absolutely perfect, sounding like a second person.  And aside from that, the pace and sense of creeping menace conveyed was great.

Second, the story itself.  It started, and I had that feeling that the story was familiar - though I can only ever recall the name William Hope Hodgson in conjunction with the Carnacki story over on Podcastle a while.  As it continued, the feeling got stronger and stronger; and then there was the line about her finding some of the fungus on her pillow when she woke.  That sealed it; I remembered that particular detail.  Seeing as how I was driving and couldn't rely on my exocortex (i.e. my iPhone and its internet connection), I actually had to think, and I was sure I'd read it when I was a kid in a book of stories with an introduction by Alfred Hitchcock - and I think that reading that was one of my earliest introductions to horror fiction.  So, I've gone hunting online and found that it was Stories They Wouldn't Let Me Do on TV, edited by Alfred Hitchcock.  And I've found it on Amazon.

So, thank you for a great reading; thank you for a great story; and thank you for reintroducing me to an old friend and bit of my own personal history in this genre.