Author Topic: PC186, Giant Episode: Beyond the Sea Gate of the Scholar Pirates of Sarskoe  (Read 15249 times)

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
I love these stories, and I am happy to have a text version, since they tend to get a little dense and, as was mentioned above, it's a little hard to "reread" the last paragraph in audio.

One of the things I like best about these stories is how little I like the two main characters.  That is, they're fascinating people, but they're also the kind of goal-driven zealots who absolutely terrify me.  They ARE the sort of people who shrug apathetically at the deaths of hundreds and who kill allies when it becomes necessary with only the smallest twinges of regret.  (I also like the magic system, because "esoteric needle" is fun to say.)

The main complaint I'd have is that Mr. Fitz is *so* awesome and amazing that Sir Hereward tends to get overshadowed.  Like, a lot.  Like, his only real contribution to these quests is serving as Fitz' beard, and when they are inevitably exposed, it still doesn't tend to even impact them much.  That is, Hereward's presence is barely a minor convenience for Fitz, not even a crucial but passive supporting role.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
I've never heard "leopard" pronounced the way it was in this story.  I've always heard it "leh-perd" not "lee-oh-pard".  The latter pronunciation makes more sense phonetically, but it's not one I've heard before. 

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
The main complaint I'd have is that Mr. Fitz is *so* awesome and amazing that Sir Hereward tends to get overshadowed.  Like, a lot.  Like, his only real contribution to these quests is serving as Fitz' beard, and when they are inevitably exposed, it still doesn't tend to even impact them much.  That is, Hereward's presence is barely a minor convenience for Fitz, not even a crucial but passive supporting role.

I noticed that more in this story than in the last one.

However, without Hereward, Fitz would be set upon for being... whatever he is*... and even Bruce Lee** would eventually fall if you threw enough fighters at him. So Hereward gives Fitz some sort of legitimacy, and allows him to pretend to be something he's not as he completes his quest.

* -- There were a lot of allusions to him having done something bad or been something horrible, centuries ago, in both stories, but I don't think it was ever revealed.

** -- But maybe not Chuck Norris.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

InfiniteMonkey

• Lochage
  • Clearly, I need more typewriters....
I've never heard "leopard" pronounced the way it was in this story.  I've always heard it "leh-perd" not "lee-oh-pard".  The latter pronunciation makes more sense phonetically, but it's not one I've heard before. 

I had imagined that the word wasn't leopard, but some word the author made up for a, well, leopardthrope. But I didn't read it, so I have no idea what it was in print.

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
Loved it.  LOVED it.  Like almost everyone else :)

I was also OK with the lack of emotion over the dead "thieving watery thugs" (that's' awesome, Spindaddy!) They were the real puppets in the grander plans of Hereward and Fitz.

edited to add: I'd also like to add to the pats on the back Dave gets for going the extra mile for this story!

raetsel

• Peltast
    • MCL & Me

And I will proudly point out again, he's an Aussie!

Yes the fact he started out with that disadvantage makes his achievement all the more impressive.  ;)

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
And I will proudly point out again, he's an Aussie!
Yes the fact he started out with that disadvantage makes his achievement all the more impressive.  ;)

Well, we do get some things right. Like our wines, for example, which compete with the best in the world.

http://www.australiaforum.com/general-chit-chat-news/1940-australian-table-wines-sketch-monty-python.html

raetsel

• Peltast
    • MCL & Me
Quote from: kibitzer link=topic=5757.msg95266#msg95266

Well, we do get some things right. Like our wines, for example, which compete with the best in the world.

http://www.australiaforum.com/general-chit-chat-news/1940-australian-table-wines-sketch-monty-python.html

Ah yes that sketch works in a different way these days.

Oh and Australia does produce some excellent podcast narrators of course.

eytanz

I was really enjoying this one for almost the entire length, but felt somewhat disappointed by the ending, specifically, Fury's attack on Hereward and her death. It felt like an afterthought - a loose end that had to be tied - and lacked both tension and depth. I felt her character was more interesting than that, and deserved a more interesting conclusion. Not just "ok, it was obvious all along she'll attack him so here she does, and now she's dead."

But other than that, a lot of fun.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
I was really enjoying this one for almost the entire length, but felt somewhat disappointed by the ending, specifically, Fury's attack on Hereward and her death. It felt like an afterthought - a loose end that had to be tied - and lacked both tension and depth. I felt her character was more interesting than that, and deserved a more interesting conclusion. Not just "ok, it was obvious all along she'll attack him so here she does, and now she's dead."

But other than that, a lot of fun.

Yeah, I'd agree with you on that.  She seemed like a real fully-fleshed character, but her ending didn't do her justice.

justenjoying

• Peltast
I would call this an great adventure story. It drew me in and didn't let go, but I don't know if I would ever come back to it. It was a fun journey that I would not want to retrace, but I think every young adult should. I can definitly see myself reading all about these characters again, but never retrace thier steps.

LaShawn

• Lochage
  • Writer Mommies Rule!
    • The Cafe in the Woods
Hmm...I wasn't a big fan of the last Hereward and Fitz story, and sadly, this one is the same. Maybe it's because Fitz is like one of those switchblades that has a tool for everything. Hereward gets into a jam and hey presto, Fitz is there to save the day, supply the action, info the dump, etc. In a sense, Hereward was the real puppet, because he did whatever Fitz told him to do. Perhaps that was intended on the author's part, but because of that, they didn't stick with me.  And while I liked Pirate Fury, her death at the end seemed cheap and lazy.

I did find the killer starfish mildly amusing, though.

--
Visit LaShawn at The Cafe in the Woods:
http://tbonecafe.wordpress.com
Another writer's antiblog: In Touch With Yours Truly