Author Topic: YOU decide the fate of the Universe...or, at least one letter  (Read 3701 times)

Jonathan C. Gillespie

• Matross
  • Writer of Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Horror
    • Jonathan C. Gillespie, Author
Hola fellow wordsmiths,

I'm about to step into the next phase of my publishing career and it will involve a larger media \ promotion footprint. I'm wrestling with what probably sounds like a ridiculous issue: my byline.

In the past, I've always stuck to "Jonathan C. Gillespie". However, I've noticed that many folks in the biz simply refer to me as "Jonathan Gillespie", and the google search results leading to my website also drop the 'c'; folks are searching for "Jonathan Gillespie writer".

I have a string of published work with the old byline, but I'm debating dropping the 'C.' from here on, largely because I have one of those last names that don't exactly ride off the tongue, and I don't want people giving up on finding my work.  Thoughts/opinions? Is it even worth the trouble?

Published genre fiction author with stories in print and upcoming.

Official site: http://jonathancg.net/ | Twitter: JCGAuthor | Facebook

Jonathan C. Gillespie

• Matross
Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 02:37:54 PM
Bueller?...Bueller?  ;)

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 03:48:37 PM
Are people finding you by searching without the C?  If so, why worry about it?  Write with whatever name you prefer.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 03:49:15 PM
I'm probably not the right person to ask, though.  I use "Scattercat" everywhere.

matweller

• EA Staff
Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 05:45:04 PM
Do whatever you feel most comfortable with. You can set up keywords and tags and such so that you'll come up in a search for 'Mel Gibson' if you want, so how you refer to yourself vs. how people search for you doesn't really matter.

Personally, I think the middle initial thing is a little pretentious, but it wouldn't stop me from checking into a topic that really interested me, and in a internet searching world, it probably makes sense to narrow things as much as possible.

That in mind, I should probably just go to using my alias ("Nerraux") exclusively since it seems to have 99% internet uniqueness and that's going to be harder and harder to come by.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 09:16:10 PM
Either works, I think. Personally, I'd stick with the "C" since you've already been doing that.

I've kind of wondered the same thing myself, but I'll probably stick with D.K. But Jonathan Gillespie isn't as common as Dave/David Thompson :)

eytanz

Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 09:29:00 PM
Either works, I think. Personally, I'd stick with the "C" since you've already been doing that.

I've kind of wondered the same thing myself, but I'll probably stick with D.K. But Jonathan Gillespie isn't as common as Dave/David Thompson :)

Tell me about it. I even have a D. Thompson living in my Tiny Tower.

I don't have a middle initial, and I never really saw the point of them, but then again, I don't really need one for uniqueness purposes. But if you're already published with the initial, I'd say keep it.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 09:30:58 PM
We are a dime a dozen  ;D

Jonathan C. Gillespie

• Matross
Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 09:31:48 PM
Oddly, it seems the number of Jonathan Gillespies in the world have multiplied, according to google. So the 'C' is going to stay, I think. Thanks, all.

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #9 on: January 28, 2012, 05:38:32 AM
Oddly, it seems the number of Jonathan Gillespies in the world have multiplied, according to google. So the 'C' is going to stay, I think. Thanks, all.

'C'? You were right all along!