Author Topic: Advent Ghosts  (Read 3078 times)

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
on: December 20, 2013, 10:04:09 PM
My blogger-friend Loren Eaton of the review/writing/musings blog "I Saw Lightning Fall" does an annual microfiction event that he calls Advent Ghosts, celebrating the lost tradition of scary or ghostly stories around the fire during Christmas time.  This year he's posting them on December 20 to make it a little easier on everyone, so you can have a full week to enjoy the spooky tales.

Here's the link to the stories, which will be updated as participants send him their links.  These are not professionals and no one's getting paid off this; pure participatory enthusiasm is all.

Maybe some of you might want to join in next year.  (Or heck, e-mail him this year if you have a blog and want to sketch one up really quickly.  It's not like there's some hard cutoff.)

I'm not very good at scary, but my offering is here, and should be added to the list later today.

Varda

• Rebound
  • Hipparch
  • Definitely not an android.
Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 10:56:49 PM
Great story, Scattercat! I know Loren too, and will add my encouragement to any latecomers who want to join the fun and crank out a story. And for the blogless, you can just email him the story directly and he'll host it for ya.

You guys can read my contribution here. It's not very scary, but it's ghostly.

Medical Microfiction: Stories About Science
http://rckjones.wordpress.com

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 03:53:33 PM
And the recursive loop says to check out Wailing Well by M. R. James, as he was one of the most lauded writers who pushed this tradition. Almost all of his stories are ones he wrote to be read aloud to his friends at the annual holiday gatherings.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”