Author Topic: Pseudopod 035: Locked Doors  (Read 8096 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
on: April 28, 2007, 02:13:56 AM
Pseudopod 035: Locked Doors

By Stephanie Burgis
Read by Grant Baciocco

There’s a frozen moment. Then Tyler throws himself against the door, just as the heavy body on the other side hurls itself at the wood. The bolt shifts another centimeter.

“No!” Tyler shoves the bolt with all his strength and hears it click back into locked position. He collapses, sliding down the door onto the floor. Tips his head back against the wood, breathing hard.

He hears Its heavy breathing on the other side of the door. Tyler closes his eyes.

“Please, Dad,” he whispers. “Please come back soon.”

Listen to this week's Pseudopod.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Jonathan C. Gillespie

• Matross
  • Writer of Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Horror
    • Jonathan C. Gillespie, Author
Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 02:33:52 AM
I enjoyed it, and I feel very sorry for that kid, particularly since I imagine he'll be behind the door one day.

My only beef was the ending.  Too abrupt, I think, but that's better than dragging out too long.

Published genre fiction author with stories in print and upcoming.

Official site: http://jonathancg.net/ | Twitter: JCGAuthor | Facebook

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
  • Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!
Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 10:34:45 AM
I really felt bad for the kid, wow, what an unfortunate life.
I wish more detail was given about the disorder, but I think dad was a werewolf.

How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?

clichekiller

• Palmer
Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 02:47:15 PM
Yeah I would definitely have to agree with the werewolf theory. 

Interesting story. I really liked the way the mom just up and abandoned her own child like that.  If you ask me she's the real monster in the story. 

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 04:19:57 PM
Interesting story. I really liked the way the mom just up and abandoned her own child like that.  If you ask me she's the real monster in the story. 

Or the only sane person.

clichekiller

• Palmer
Reply #5 on: May 01, 2007, 04:58:08 PM

Or the only sane person.
One would have to assume that she was well aware of her husband's condition prior to their conceiving the child.  What exactly did she suspect might happen?

darusha

• M. Darusha Wehm
Reply #6 on: May 01, 2007, 09:20:27 PM
Usually I’m not terribly fond of horror/SF/fantasy stories with such obvious “real-world” corollaries, in this case an alcoholic or drug abusing parent.  However, this story was well done in that the father’s problem is described clearly enough throughout, so we are busy focussing on the colour of his eyes or his attempts to get out of the basement and the underlying plot just carries us along.

I found the ending a little fast – Tyler goes from keeping up appearances at school with the teacher to (possibly) turning his father in to the authorities a little quickly for my liking.  However, it’s a minor quibble on a story I was preparing to dislike when I started listening but quite enjoyed by the time it was done.

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
Reply #7 on: May 02, 2007, 04:34:24 PM

Or the only sane person.
One would have to assume that she was well aware of her husband's condition prior to their conceiving the child.  What exactly did she suspect might happen?
Why would one have to assume anything? It's just as possible that he was bitten by a werewolf, or a radioactive spider, or slighted on an old Gypsy woman, entered the pharaoh’s tomb, got hit by the rays from outer space, infected at the lab, it's a latent family trait, or hid it from his wife (that's no father fetched than any of the other suggestions).
Also not mentioned was the home-life before she left, but it must have been bad, it probably lasted a long time, and there comes a time when you have to look out for #1.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #8 on: May 02, 2007, 05:47:53 PM
I reacted the same way as Thaurismunths.  Based on the way I heard the story, I didn't think the ex-wife had any idea of what she'd gotten into with the werewolf husband. 

"Father fetched" was an excellent typo, btw!

I'm not surprised she left.  What sane person wouldn't?  I am shocked she left her son, though.  That must've gone against all her motherly instincts. 

All in all, a good story and an excellent switch-up after last week's wonderfully grotesque "Bliss"

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #9 on: September 21, 2009, 05:51:57 PM
I enjoyed this one, a werewolf story from a new point of view.  That poor kid!

What really bothered me was the mother leaving the child behind.  To me she's the real villain of the story.  Perhaps part of it is that I assumed that the father became a werewolf by being bitten by a werewolf, which is the usual route.  With this assumption, the trait is not hereditary, and so her leaving of the son is even worse, and is even probably condemning her son to the exact same fate--because a child is bound to make a mistake and get bitten, which of course is what happened.  Even if it were hereditary, she is a terrible person for leaving him.  he isn't even showing signs of turning yet and she leaves.  And if her son DOES start turning, then the house will have TWO werewolves with no one to restrain them, and dozens of deaths will be on her hands for abandoning them.  Not only that, but if werewolves retain their human memories, then she could very well be a target for her transformed son.

And I'm a bit shocked that they hadn't thought up a food delivery system that didn't require opening the door all the way.  Like a prison-style slot in the door, or maybe meat packages dropped down the laundry chute.  If they'd had that the son wouldn't've been bitten.

I didn't, however, see the son's turning in of his father as too sudden.  If it's the classical werewolf rules, his son will now be a werewolf too, and so he suddenly has much more incentive to think he'll end up like his father.  In fact, if the father's first priority is ensuring the well-being of his child, he might even turn himself in.  His own torture and dissection might be worthwhile if he knows it may provide insight that will save his son.  And especially at that moment, while he's racked with guilt over biting the boy, he might be the most apt to turn himself in.  On top of that, it would mean his son could have a normal life again (unless the change comes upon him).

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #10 on: November 08, 2009, 09:12:32 PM
I didn't, however, see the son's turning in of his father as too sudden.  If it's the classical werewolf rules, his son will now be a werewolf too, and so he suddenly has much more incentive to think he'll end up like his father.  In fact, if the father's first priority is ensuring the well-being of his child, he might even turn himself in.  His own torture and dissection might be worthwhile if he knows it may provide insight that will save his son.  And especially at that moment, while he's racked with guilt over biting the boy, he might be the most apt to turn himself in.  On top of that, it would mean his son could have a normal life again (unless the change comes upon him).

If remorse was going to make the father turn himself in, that should have happened when his wife left him. An alternate take is the boy revenging himself on his father. He selflessly gave and was forced to be the adult during the father's change. So now the boy sacrifices the father so that he can save himself. This makes everyone in the story a monster, which gives me some warm and fuzzy feelings.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #11 on: November 09, 2009, 05:57:22 PM
If remorse was going to make the father turn himself in, that should have happened when his wife left him. An alternate take is the boy revenging himself on his father. He selflessly gave and was forced to be the adult during the father's change. So now the boy sacrifices the father so that he can save himself. This makes everyone in the story a monster, which gives me some warm and fuzzy feelings.

Perhaps.  But I don't think it's far-fetched for the father to have not turned himself in.  That may make him a bad person, but he still feels real to me. 

Millenium_King

• Lochage
    • Ankor Sabat
Reply #12 on: August 12, 2010, 07:55:10 PM
This was a good one.  I liked the way the boy's father's condition was not explicitly stated: I was glad it wasn't something like a werewolf (although that could have been it, right?).  Anyway, it was well told and well paced.  In some places, the language was a little weak (subject --> verb, subject --> verb, subject --> verb etc.).

A good episode and well worth the listen.

Good reading too.

EDIT: Just wanted to add (and I'm shocked no one saw this): the kid's resentment toward his dad is what made him turn him in.  He told his mom long ago that they should turn him in (it's one of the last lines "antidoes, cures") which means he's been thinking of it for a while.  His father is alienating him from his peers, making him fail at school and tormenting him at home - the bite was the last straw.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 07:59:37 PM by Millenium_King »

Visit my blog atop the black ziggurat of Ankor Sabat, including my list of Top 10 Pseudopod episodes.