Author Topic: Vampire Lit  (Read 16524 times)

DarkKnightJRK

• Peltast
Reply #25 on: December 27, 2007, 08:20:35 AM
I'll also agree with the Joe Pitt series by Charlie Huston. Already Dead and No Dominion are excellent books. Imagine if someone took Phillip Marlowe, mixed in vampires and zombies, and dumped them into the filthiest gutter of the modern Manhattan island.

The only thing I didn't like is that Huston seems to like putting diologue in front of dashes instead of quotation marks for some wierd damn reason. Does anyone one else do this? Do they say why?

Also, if you're a comic book fan, I would also recommend Huston's recent work on Marvel's Moon Knight. If you like dark, gritty superhero action with twisted personalities and skitzophrenia, then you'll love this story.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #26 on: February 03, 2008, 03:59:23 PM
I've been enjoying the Blood Ties series on Lifetime, which is based on the "Victoria Nelson" stories by Tanya Huff.  I'm meaning to check out the books when I find some free reading time.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #27 on: December 23, 2008, 09:28:35 PM
Threadomancy!!!

Just wanted to pipe-up and say I did read one of the Charlie Huston books, Already Dead. I'm not sure why but some part of me really did not want to like this book. However, I was completely smitten by the vampire/zombie noir thing it had going on.  It was way fun and the coolest vampire book I've read since...I don't remember when (though I still haven't read any of Charlaine Harris' stuff.

In a perfect world, Ben Philips would do the audiobook version of this. It's perfect for him.

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #28 on: December 26, 2008, 12:08:35 AM
Since we're giving this one a bump, I will recommend you do NOT read Elizabeth Kostova's "The Historian". For all the setup, the ending is terrible -- blink and you'll miss it -- and the concept could've been executed far better without requiring 700-plus pages.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

Poppydragon

• Peltast
Reply #29 on: January 28, 2009, 04:11:10 PM
Can I add Poppy Brite's "Lost Souls" to the list as a well worth trying title. It's a nice twist on the genre. I've not read the Charlie Huston, but now have to find the money to go out and buy them though.

Man - despite his artistic pretensions, his sophistication, and his many accomplishments - owes his existence to a six inch layer of topsoil and the fact that it rains.