Author Topic: Short Fiction Podcasting Support Group!  (Read 9972 times)

goatkeeper

on: July 26, 2007, 05:43:08 AM
As a less experienced narrator/editor/publisher of a paying market (www.drabblecast.org) I have learned a great deal from the wonderful people in these forums about the relatively newer world of online fiction podcasting.  I thought I would start a thread to see if any other markets out there wanted to share throughts/offer feedback/swap ideas/ask questions and even offer some promo space on each others podcasts. 

Just throwin it out there...

Norm

AmoryLowe

• Extern
Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 01:18:12 PM
hey there Goatkeeper. I run the great beyond podcast (thegreatbeyond.libsyn.com). Support groups are good, but I'm not sure we could keep one running. Even though its nice to hear there are other short fiction podcasts besides myself, come let me whisper, and a couple of others (including escape pod and pseudopod),  I don't we could keep one going.

As for tips, I could give you one really good one.

never, never, Never, NEVER NEVER NEVER ever use the audacity audio cleaning option.

As for exchanging promos, I'd love to actually. I'm always for helping out each other. Send me down an email at thegreatbeyondpodcast(at)gmail(dot)com

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 02:26:04 PM
never, never, Never, NEVER NEVER NEVER ever use the audacity audio cleaning option.

I never liked Audacity.  I find it way too hard to use.

I have Cool Edit (what Adobe Audition used to be), and I've been jealously hoarding my one copy of it for about eight years, backing it up in numerous places, writing down the serial number, etc... I would be lost without it.

Seriously, when it comes to audio editing, to make a really good product I think you need to shell out a few bucks.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

goatkeeper

Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 05:02:38 PM
Amory,

True, I don't expect this to be a high traffic zone or anything- but as there is relatively little out there addressing all the things involved in audio fiction broadcasting I figured I would throw it out there.  From production issues, software and hardware problems, promotion/marketing, contracts and proper proceedures on handling submissions,- there's a lot to be learned.  I would like to see the number of these markets grow- the more the better for everyone- but at the same time, I think it's important for newer podcasts to maintain the great, professional rep Escapepod and Psuedopod have created for audio markets thus far.  So I thought it wouldn't hurt to have a little corner on the web that would be a possible source of info for other markets.  I've found the Escapepod forum to be full of very supportive and helpful writers and listeners.

As for Audacity- I know some people that use it very successfully- I used garageband in the past, which was ridiculously easy to use and pretty fantastic I always thought.  Recently I've been learning/using Protools and while it's far more complex I love all the bells and whistles. 
« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 06:29:06 AM by goatkeeper »

AmoryLowe

• Extern
Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 04:01:32 AM
Amory,

True, I don't expect this to be a high traffic zone or anything- but as there is relatively little out there addressing all the things involved in audio fiction broadcasting I figured I would throw it out there.  From production issues, software and hardware problems, promotion/marketing, contracts and proper proceedures on handling submissions,- there's a lot to be learn.  I would like to see the number of these markets grow- the more the better for everyone- but at the same time, I think it's important for newer podcasts to maintain the great, professional rep Escapepod and Psuedopod has created for audio markets thus far.  So I thought it wouldn't hurt to have a little corner on the web that would be a possible source of info for other markets.  I've found the Escapepod forum to be full of very supportive and helpful writers and listeners.

As for Audacity- I know some people that use it very successfully- I used garageband in the past, which was ridiculously easy to use and pretty fantastic I always thought.  Recently I've been learning/using Protools and while it's far more complex I love all the bells and whistles. 

Oh, I think the same thing. I think it's necessary to keep the quality as high as possible. It would be nice to see a lot of audio fiction markets out there, but because of the fact that exclusively audio fiction is a somewhat new thing (hence not that many people listening to it compared to reading fiction) it has a bit of a small audience. I found that Mr. Eley himself was very nice and quite considerate when I e-mailed a couple questions about it. As for the software and hardware, there were definitely more problems I anticipated, but in the end all you really need is a Mike and a computer (That's what I essentially have, except with some nice cleaning software and some other hardware for the mike).

Right now I'm using Audacity for editing, and it's working great for me. I'm using a separate software (Magix audio cleaning lab 11) to clean the audio and that's working great as well.

goatkeeper

Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007, 06:28:11 AM
Amory,

Yes, I think the future of fiction podcast magazines looks bright though- there are many advantages it has over print sources.  We only get a few hundred website hits a week a few hundred itunes downloads a week but we are seeing it steadily grow.  How is yours doing?
If you get a chance check out Drabblecast this week and let me know if you have any suggestions.  I have never heard back from Steve and don't want to be a pest.  We have a good story from Kevin Anderson this week (author of Psuedopod 36- Liberation) and would appreciate any suggestions you or anyone else have on what we are doing.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 06:30:07 AM by goatkeeper »

Mr. Tweedy

• Lochage
  • I am a sloth.
    • Free Mode
Reply #6 on: August 02, 2007, 01:35:57 PM
I've downloaded the last few episodes.  I love your production: The music, the creepy reader voice, the great tagline ("strange stories by strange writers for strange listeners").  You've got this great vibe of self-conscious goofiness, sort of a Monty Python-esque we're-serious-about-being-silly thing, where silliness is an art and you put thought and effort into making it extreme.

I like the format.  I laughed at loud at the last two episodes.  But I thought "A Day with Daddy" was pretty dumb.

There's a little feedback from me.   8)

Added later: I just listened to Episode 20 "Momentum" and it was just sick and nasty.  So, now I'm a little confused as to what I think.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 02:33:41 PM by Mr. Tweedy »

Hear my very very short story on The Drabblecast!

goatkeeper

Reply #7 on: August 02, 2007, 03:33:59 PM
Hey Tweedy

Thanks for the comments.  Yes, Momentum is definitely a horror piece (although in comparison to Kevin Anderson's other story on Pseudopod it's a bouquet of petunias)
A good bit of the stories we feature are humorous and light, but we also often have hard scifi, fantasy and horror.   We had received a lot of feedback that this "never know quite what your going to get this week" thing was fun, but do you think this irregularity is disadvantageous?

Mr. Tweedy

• Lochage
  • I am a sloth.
    • Free Mode
Reply #8 on: August 02, 2007, 04:11:06 PM
No, I don't think unpredictability is a bad thing in itself, but there ought to be certain limits.  If Momentum was the first episode I'd heard, I would probably not have stuck around for another one.

For reference: I listen to podcasts at work.  If I think a given one is good, I take it home to my wife on a flash drive.  I took home "Black & White Animals 2," and she got a few laughs out of it (not as many as me).  But I'm not even going to tell her about Momentum.

Mixing it up is good, and it can be an interesting element of production, but taking it to too much of an extreme can be confusing, and maybe even alienating to your audience.  It's fun to wonder what's coming next, but within limits.  Wondering what flavor of fun is going to be served up is enjoyable.  Wondering if you're going to get something fun or something horrible is annoying.

The opinions of one audience member.

Hear my very very short story on The Drabblecast!

goatkeeper

Reply #9 on: August 03, 2007, 02:11:18 AM
Ah well, sorry it disturbed you so much!  Apocalyptic carney/mutant tales aren't for everyone, this is for sure.  You should be in for a treat next week though.

I'm glad Lust for Learning wasn't my first Escapepod experience.  I don't know that I would have bailed on the podcast if it was though.

goatkeeper

Reply #10 on: August 06, 2007, 01:09:01 AM
Hey, we just made a short promo for Drabblecast- if anyone gets a chance to listen let me know what you think- and distribute if you like it!
www.drabblecast.org

AmoryLowe

• Extern
Reply #11 on: August 08, 2007, 11:13:21 AM
Ah, sorry I didn't see the Promo up earlier goatkeeper, I would've put it up on The Great Beyond. I'll fix it in next week with the conclusion of The Path to the Sun.

goatkeeper

Reply #12 on: September 27, 2007, 05:18:19 PM
Hey- does anyone have any experience with WordPress or Feedburner and can help a brotha out?

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #13 on: September 27, 2007, 06:38:13 PM
Very cool, Norm.  I'm going to be starting up a podcast in the not-too-distant future (I hope), and although it may not be short fiction (not solely, at least), I'm looking forward to joining the podcast family and swapping knowledge!  Especially since I often feel like one of the more technically inept people of my generation ;)

goatkeeper

Reply #14 on: October 04, 2007, 05:56:44 AM
The more the merrier!

One of these days someone should start an EP feedback/discussion podcast.

When I finish listening to an EP, I imagine the perspectives of you, Mr Tweedy, Listener, Thaurismunths and others.  It would be so fun to hear debates/discussions by EP listeners in a podcast.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #15 on: October 04, 2007, 03:44:19 PM
That would be cool!  A roundtable discussion of Escape Pod!  How much fun would that be?

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #16 on: October 04, 2007, 05:34:17 PM
That would be cool!  A roundtable discussion of Escape Pod!  How much fun would that be?

I vote for "lots".

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

goatkeeper

Reply #17 on: October 08, 2007, 12:17:07 AM
I've got some gear and would be interested in chattin about this idea in depth with you guys.  perhaps we shouuld see what Steve thinks? 

raygunray

• Peltast
  • Sundae, bloody Sundae
    • Diabetic In Candyland
Reply #18 on: October 08, 2007, 01:23:36 AM
Heck, I wouldn't mind taking part. How do we go about this? Skype? Talkshoe?

Diabetic in Candyland -
Stories about Winning at Losing and Failing Successfully.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #19 on: October 08, 2007, 03:44:29 PM
Sounds good to me although I'm not sure how to actually work it (from a technical standpoint).  Phone conference kind of thing?

goatkeeper

Reply #20 on: October 09, 2007, 05:44:52 AM
Yah, audio conference via phone or ichat(or similiar)- however we can work it, and also ask for mp3 submissions of episode/reviews and comments.  Although, I think most of the fun would come from live discussion via phone.  Wouldn't be too tough.
We should see what Steve thinks- I don't think he reads this thread.  I'll shoot him an email when I get a chance perhaps.

goatkeeper

Reply #21 on: October 22, 2007, 12:27:00 AM
Hehe, well that idea went kaput :-)

Out of curiousity- does anyone out there have any experience using feedburner?