Author Topic: CoW Ep. 248: Binaries  (Read 1970 times)

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
on: May 15, 2017, 09:59:00 PM
Episode 248: Binaries by S. B. Divya

• Narrated by Fonda Lee
• Audio production by Jeremy Carter
• Originally published in Lightspeed Magazine, Issue 73 (June 2016)

Click here to listen to Episode 248
Click here to read the text of the story

S.B. Divya is a lover of science, math, fiction, and the Oxford comma. She enjoys subverting expectations and breaking stereotypes whenever she can. She is the new co-editor for Escape Pod, and her short stories have been published in various magazines, including Lightspeed and Tor.com. Her writing also appears in the indie game Rogue Wizards. Her debut science fiction novella, Runtime, is a finalist for the 2016 Nebula Award. You can find out more online or on Twitter.

Fonda Lee is the author of the award-winning young adult science fiction novels Zeroboxer and Exo, and the forthcoming fantasy series for adults, Jade City. When she’s not writing she can be found training in martial arts or searching out tasty food in Portland, Oregon. You can learn more about her work on her website or follow her on Twitter.

Year 1: I come into the world wet and squalling and ordinary, born of heterosexual bio-parents.

Year 2: A flat photo shows me on my first birthday with a shock of red hair, wide green eyes, and an expression of distaste at the sticky white frosting on my fingers. My mother stands on one side looking not at all Jewish; my Goan, lapsed-Catholic father stands on the other.

Year 4: Shaya is born. I am a match to my mother’s complexion, but my baby sister takes after our father. No one thinks we’re siblings unless they see the fierce, protective scowl on my face when I’m allowed to hold her.

Tags: Cast of Wonders, evolution, family, fiction, Fonda Lee, growth, Jeremy Carter, math, Nebula, numbers, S.B. Divya, Science Fiction, scifi, sibling, space, Young Adult fiction

Sandra M. Odell

• Peltast
Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 02:33:13 AM
Wonderful story.  I appreciated the characters and the narrative style, and, as a non-binary (no pun intended, well, maybe a little) older sister, I loved the sibling dynamic.

Kaa

• Hipparch
  • Trusst in me, jusst in me.
    • WriteWright
Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 02:20:33 PM
I think I remember this story in an earlier iteration, and I'm thrilled to see that it found a home at Cast of Wonders. It's a great story, and accomplishes everything Divya set out to accomplish, and with a delightful hidden math (the sentence count) waiting to be discovered.

I invent imaginary people and make them have conversations in my head. I also write.

About writing || About Atheism and Skepticism (mostly) || About Everything Else

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 03:02:32 AM
This story warms me on so many levels. Excellently crafted!

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”