Author Topic: CoW Ep. 263: A Coat for Aodh  (Read 4081 times)

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
on: September 05, 2017, 11:28:43 AM
Cast of Wonders 263: A Coat For Aodh

• by Ika Koeck
• Narrated by Wilson Fowlie
• Audio production by Jeremy Carter
A Cast of Wonders original!
Read along with the text of the story
Click here to listen to Episode 263

Born a Malaysian with a hint of Dutch bloodline, Ika Koeck’s passion for writing began when she was twelve after an accidental encounter with a fantasy novel left her mind reeling with ideas.

Her short stories have appeared in Ages of Wonder, an anthology published by DAW books and 100-Stories-For-Queensland, a charity anthology in aid of the survivors of the 2011 Queensland Flood. Her most recent publication is “Skin Deep”, published in Aurealis #91 and “Jungle Fever”, published in The Apex Book of World SF 3. Another fantasy short story, “To Dance The Dragon”, will be published in Ares Magazine in 2018.

When she is not travelling the world, Ika is working on her next short story or novel, running a race somewhere, training to be a triathlete, or being a butler for her cats. You can follow her online and on Twitter.

Wilson Fowlie has been reading stories out loud since the age of 4, and credits any talent he has in this area to his parents, who are both excellent at reading aloud.

He started narrating stories for more than just his own family in late 2008, when he answered a call for readers on the PodCastle forum. Since then, he has gone on to become PodCastle’s most prolific narrator, reading or appearing in nearly 30 episodes. He’s a proud member of the Escape Artists hat trick club, having narrated for PodCastle, EscapePod and Pseudopod as well as Cast of Wonders, in addition to StarShipSofa, Beam Me Up, Cast Macabre, Dunesteef Audio Fiction magazine and the Journey Into… podcast.

Wilson fits in all this narrating between his day job as a web developer in Vancouver, Canada, and being the director of a community show chorus called The Maple Leaf Singers.

I have always hated the cold. It makes the simplest of tasks impossible. Trying to tighten the girth around a gelding that was holding his breath on purpose was already difficult with one weak hand and one bad leg. In the cold night, my numb hands simply refused to cooperate, and I was in the midst of heaving, puffing, and cursing the horse’s ancestors when Tipsy meowed and alerted me to a visitor.

I looked over my shoulder to see a young man of maybe fifteen summers, peeking from the side of the stall.

Tags: accident, Cast of Wonders, cat, deception, different worlds, Ika Koeck, Jeremy Carter, law, murder, mystery, sacrifice, sea, selkie, special needs, Wilson Fowlie, Young Adult fiction

Kaa

• Hipparch
  • Trusst in me, jusst in me.
    • WriteWright
Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 08:45:15 PM
I have a request.

MOAR STORIES IN THIS UNIVERSE, IKA KOECK! I need more Tipsy the cat in my life.

Ahem. That is all. :)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 03:11:48 PM by Kaa »

I invent imaginary people and make them have conversations in my head. I also write.

About writing || About Atheism and Skepticism (mostly) || About Everything Else

IkaKoeck

• Extern
Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 07:20:47 AM
Hi Kaa! Thanks so much! :) I'm glad you enjoyed it!

adriannem

• Extern
Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 01:50:32 AM
What a wonderful story Ika! I too would love to see more of Wolcroft & Tipsy.

etacarinae5

• Extern
Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 01:30:35 PM
I love this story. Like Aodh, I laughed out loud at the end of Wolcroft's story on how he got the limp.
The only thing I didn't like about this story was how short it was!

Obleo21

• Matross
Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 04:10:47 PM
I fourth the desire to have more adventures of this dynamic human/cat duo. So well done.

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #6 on: October 26, 2017, 02:28:25 PM
What an interesting take on the Selkie story. Since Selkie stories tend to be charged with gender and dominance messages, it was interesting to see this one replace gender with age.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”