Author Topic: CoW Ep. 303: What You’re Missing  (Read 2016 times)

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
on: May 25, 2018, 11:23:01 AM
Cast of Wonders 303: What You're Missing

• Author: Allison Mulder
• Narrator: Melissa Bugaj
• Host: Katherine Inskip
• Audio Producer: Jeremy Carter
• Cast of Wonders 303: "What You’re Missing" was originally published in Twisted: Short Stories by Young Writers, for Ch1Con.
Click here to listen to Episode 303

Allison Mulder grew up in various small Midwestern towns and a sizable swath of the internet. She writes fantasy, science fiction, and–often by accident–horror. Her fiction has appeared previously at Escape Pod, Fireside Fiction, InterGalactic Medicine Show, and elsewhere. With patience, sensitive equipment, and ample provisions, you can sometimes glimpse Allison at allisonmulder.wordpress.com. Or, track her far more easily on Twitter at @AMulderWrites, where she broadcasts any significant life happenings, gushes over her current fictional obsessions, and uses far too many X-Files gifs.

Mel Bugaj (Boo-Gay) is a mom of a 12 year old son and 10 year old daughter. She and her husband produced a podcast called Night Light Stories where you can find and download their 60+ original children’s stories for free. Just go to nightlightstories.net. Mel has been an educator for 19 years and currently is pursuing her second masters in Educational Leadership. In her spare time she enjoys getting her butt kicked when playing UNO with her daughter, listening to podcasts with her son and watching horror flicks with her husband.

“Something’s missing.”

The words slipped past Anya’s lips, not for the first time. Most days she could keep them buried under other, safer thoughts. But on quiet, peaceful days like this one, when she’d successfully coaxed Colton past the fences to the off-grid hills, the words had a nasty habit of wriggling out to warm themselves in the sun.

“Of course something’s missing,” Colton said, staring back toward the sprawling gray city. Sun sparkled off the high chain link fences between the hills and town. “No Wi-Fi, no cell signals. The power grid’s scrapped out here. If it bothers you, let’s head back.” He fiddled hopefully with his loose tie, obviously ready and waiting to tighten it.

Allison Mulder, Cast of Wonders, family, growing up, Jeremy Carter, Katherine Inskip, loss, Melissa Bugaj, Memory, persistence, Science Fiction, seeking, siblings, suppression, Young Adult fiction
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 05:21:16 PM by danooli »

Sandra M. Odell

• Peltast
Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 01:24:38 AM
This story was bittersweet fun.  It grabbed me from the very first sentence and insisted I follow until the end, no matter how I longed to turn off the narration.  "I didn't mean for my stress level to get so high. . ."

Very well done.