Author Topic: the EP avitar  (Read 20227 times)

CGFxColONeill

• Matross
on: March 10, 2008, 04:17:07 AM
so I kinda got bored on the 24 hrs I spent in the car over the last about 2.5 days... ya if you get the chance I highly recommend avoiding that but it has nothing to do with what I wanted to ask about,,, anyhow back on topic. I got to looking at some of the artwork for things that I listen to and I was wondering what the kanji mean on the front of the pod in the avitar also the red 3 in the circle
thanks

Overconfidence - Before you attempt to beat the odds, be sure you could survive the odds beating you.

I am not sure if Life is passing me by or running me over

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 05:04:29 AM
You killed Comma.

Don't mean to be out of line, but it just gets hard to read. Coming from someone only fractionally older than you — yes, it takes more effort, but as a reader when I come across a post like that I just... well, even if you have the greatest question in the world it's hard to make out, so my mind glosses over it and I head to the next post.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Chodon

• Lochage
  • Molon Labe
Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 12:02:03 PM
Don't forget about this one.

Mr. Period is my hero.  I would love to do this to my co-worker's e-mails sometime.  "Apostrophes are for posessive, not plural!"

I think ONeill was wondering what the characters on the front of the spaceship on the Escape Pod logo meant.  I think you can pretty much ignore the first two "sentences". 

Those who would sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither.

CGFxColONeill

• Matross
Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 02:32:24 PM
ya sorry about that I was really tired last night lol.
lets try again.
I got to looking at some of the artwork for things that I listen to, and I was wondering what the kanji characters mean on the front of the pod in the avitar.  I was also wondering about the red 3 in the circle
thanks

sorry about that like I said I was not at my best writing wise last night lol

Overconfidence - Before you attempt to beat the odds, be sure you could survive the odds beating you.

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 11:20:05 PM
Okay, Col., I'm going to give a scowly face to the other kids for picking on you while you were tired:  >:(

BUT, I nearly wet myself laughing at those comix, so for THAT, I have to give them a bfg:   :D

Wish I could help with the non-English, but call me if you run across Cyrillic, and I'll see what I can do.  ;)

8)

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
  • Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!
Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 11:35:18 PM
You killed Comma.

Don't mean to be out of line, but it just gets hard to read. Coming from someone only fractionally older than you — yes, it takes more effort, but as a reader when I come across a post like that I just... well, even if you have the greatest question in the world it's hard to make out, so my mind glosses over it and I head to the next post.
hey that's kind of crappy of you maybe you could give this kind of feedback in a private message or something because as much as it annoys you to see it in a forum the world is a big damn place and not everyone is going to be as well written as you.

How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?

CGFxColONeill

• Matross
Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 03:47:03 AM
You killed Comma.

Don't mean to be out of line, but it just gets hard to read. Coming from someone only fractionally older than you — yes, it takes more effort, but as a reader when I come across a post like that I just... well, even if you have the greatest question in the world it's hard to make out, so my mind glosses over it and I head to the next post.
hey that's kind of crappy of you maybe you could give this kind of feedback in a private message or something because as much as it annoys you to see it in a forum the world is a big damn place and not everyone is going to be as well written as you.

Thanks for sticking up for me but he was right I know better than that, I was just really tired and was not paying attention to what I was doing
their feed back allowed me the chance to improve on my question and hopefully clarified it
so ya I am glad that they helped me out

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 05:05:02 AM

No they're not, and a PM would have been a good way of doing it, I just use them so rarely it didn't cross my mind. I should have done it that way, but I didn't think of it, and I'm sorry. And it's not so much that it annoyed me, but that it got in the way of the content of the post.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 06:23:11 AM
To answer the original question:

Doug Triggs, the logo designer, put that in on his own whim.  I'm tempted to come up with some sort of contest to see who can come up with the most creative guess -- but of course we'll get a few dozen responses from people who can actually read it, which would suck some of the fun out of that.

Anyway, he tells me, and I must take his word on this, that it says "DANGER DEATH RAY."

ESCAPE POD - The Science Fiction Podcast Magazine

Planish

• Hipparch
  • Fun will now commence.
    • northernelectric.ca
Reply #9 on: March 11, 2008, 08:31:20 AM
That pod is only 8 millimeters in diameter, for a very small space-faring race.
It says "DO NOT EAT".

I feed The Pod.
("planish" rhymes with "vanish")

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #10 on: March 11, 2008, 01:05:22 PM
"Avoid on Tuesdays"
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 01:08:00 PM by Heradel »

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
  • Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!
Reply #11 on: March 11, 2008, 04:08:32 PM
"THIS SIDE UP"

How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?

sirana

• Lochage
Reply #12 on: March 11, 2008, 06:04:08 PM
"Remember the Alamo"

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Reply #13 on: March 11, 2008, 06:39:43 PM
Nice job on the logo.  I never really looked closely at it until recently, in the back of my mind I always thought it was a lego thing because of the four dots on the side.   

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan

CGFxColONeill

• Matross
Reply #14 on: March 12, 2008, 12:37:22 AM
"Avoid on Tuesdays"
since we are guessing I am going to say that it is
"It must be Thursday"
since they are obviously having such a bad day that they cant get the hang of it

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #15 on: March 12, 2008, 02:07:27 AM
"Look out below!"

(too obvious?)

CGFxColONeill

• Matross
Reply #16 on: March 12, 2008, 04:28:37 AM
"Look out below!"

(too obvious?)

would "Oh no Not again" work?

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #17 on: March 12, 2008, 04:33:13 AM
"I'm Very Depressed"

FamilyGuy

• Matross
Reply #18 on: March 12, 2008, 04:42:58 AM
"Wheeeee"

When will all the rhetorical questions end?

Planish

• Hipparch
  • Fun will now commence.
    • northernelectric.ca
Reply #19 on: March 12, 2008, 05:24:24 AM
"NO USER-SERVICEABLE PARTS INSIDE"

Nice job on the logo.  I never really looked closely at it until recently, in the back of my mind I always thought it was a lego thing because of the four dots on the side.   
I thought "Lego" too.
I never noticed the exploding spaceship before reading this thread.

I feed The Pod.
("planish" rhymes with "vanish")

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #20 on: March 12, 2008, 10:06:12 AM
"Brain the size of the galaxy, and here I am, hurtling out of an exploding ship!"

Russell Nash

Reply #21 on: March 12, 2008, 11:00:43 AM
"Oh shit, not again"

jrderego

• Hipparch
  • Writer of Union Dues stories (among others)
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #22 on: March 12, 2008, 12:36:13 PM
"Tilt"

"Happiness consists of getting enough sleep." Robert A. Heinlein
Also, please buy my book - Escape Clause: A Union Dues Novel
http://www.encpress.com/EC.html

birdless

• Lochage
  • Five is right out.
Reply #23 on: March 12, 2008, 02:29:02 PM
"NO USER-SERVICEABLE PARTS INSIDE"

I thought "Lego" too.
I never noticed the exploding spaceship before reading this thread.
Ha! Me too!... what exploding spaceship, though? That I don't see.

"If you can read this, you're too damn close."

Or

"Despite appearances to the contrary, I am NOT an Intergalactic Lego Baseball"

Or

"Baby on Board"

eytanz

Reply #24 on: March 12, 2008, 02:40:40 PM

Ha! Me too!... what exploding spaceship, though? That I don't see.

You need to look at the full version of the image, which is used as a banner at escapepod.org

The version used as cover art for the podcast (and Steve's forum avatar) crops out the spaceship.