Author Topic: PC031: Colin and Ishmael in the Dark  (Read 26849 times)

CoachPaul

• Extern
Reply #25 on: November 09, 2008, 12:21:57 AM
I enjoyed this story, but it felt like a PseudoPod episode to me.

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #26 on: November 11, 2008, 01:17:54 PM
Creepily awesome. Who cares if it was fantasy or not? Good tale :D

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #27 on: November 11, 2008, 04:27:15 PM
Creepiest story I heard this Halloween, hands down. Hell, in a long time.  Absolutely loved it. I haven't read very much of William Shunn's stuff before, but I hope we hear more of it here soon. 

And MarBelle's reading chilled me. Nice to hear him narrating again.

Oh, and MK Hobson should be an honorary member of the PC team or something. Nice intro. 

All around, a fantastic episode.

Rachel Swirsky

• Hipparch
    • PodCastle
Reply #28 on: November 11, 2008, 08:45:45 PM
Oh, and MK Hobson should be an honorary member of the PC team or something. Nice intro. 

She is.  ;D She also handles the advertising for all the EA podcasts.

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #29 on: November 17, 2008, 03:07:22 PM
Fight Club discussion moved here: http://forum.escapeartists.net/index.php?topic=2115

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Dwango

• Matross
Reply #30 on: November 17, 2008, 08:36:21 PM
Wonderful story, best Halloween story on EA.  I liked the characterizations and the whole conversation aspect of it.  Even the twist was surprising.  I had to rewind to figure out what happened, as I expected a painful end to the guard.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #31 on: January 05, 2010, 08:45:07 PM
Excellent story!

Usually a distant POV which doesn't get into anybody's thoughts would likewise distance me from the story, but it was used very well here.  It only described what could be heard, not what anyone felt (physically or otherwise) so I was left to guess what the hell each character was doing at any moment.  It did have a Silence of the Lambs feel to it, in a good way.  In the end, I'm unsure of almost every detail of the story, including whether he Ishamael actually had the sight, whether Ishamael actually escaped his shackles, and whether he was actually due to be released, but that didn't bother me at all.  The ambiguity created by the darkness made the whole thing way more interesting than if it had all been shown.

Oh, and the eating in the dark experience sounds interesting--I'd try that some time!

snap-hiss

• Palmer
    • Prehistory Ranch
Reply #32 on: January 06, 2010, 06:28:52 PM
But the last twist - regardless of whether Colin was telling the truth - essentially detoothed Ishmael.

Agreed.  Ishmael had an excellent condescending insanity a la Hannibal Lecter, which I was sad to see taken away.  Great story though.

Swing by the Prehistory Ranch.