Author Topic: PC Miniature 29: Birthday Wish  (Read 5790 times)

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
on: April 03, 2009, 01:16:21 PM
PodCastle Miniature 29: Birthday Wish

By Tina Connolly.
Read by Grammar Girl.

Mrs. Lemons stroked her son’s hair. “Joshua is very mature,” she said. “He’s not like those other ten-year-old boys.”

“Of course,” said Mrs. Dumpling. “My Benji is an angel, too. Benji, stop kicking their cat. Isn’t Joshua’s cake lovely?”

“Yes,” agreed Mrs. Lemons. “We’re so excited for his wish. We’ve talked of nothing else for months. Joshua, stop eating those candles. It will be perfect.”

Rated PG. Contains ten-year-old boys, and thusly some gross-out humor.

This piece won an honorable mention in the Escape Pod flash fiction contest for stories under 300 words. (Contest thread here)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 01:33:24 PM by Heradel »

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 04:56:21 PM
This was cute. It had kind of a Terry Pratchett fable feel to it, where I get the feeling that Joshua just wished for silence. I suppose that's the point of the story -- WHAT did he wish for, exactly? -- but it was done in a way that was not gimmicky.

The ending would've SOUNDED better had there been more of a pause before the last line.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

thomasowenm

• Lochage
  • Servant of The Orator Maleficent
Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 09:54:24 PM
I liked it but I wish there was some indication of what Joshua wished for, my first inclination is that he wished to win his bet and his nose exploded with a load of candles.  It needed something so we could reach the conclusion the author wished us to.  Overall a good quick story read well by GG, but like Listener I agree the ending needed a dramatic pause.

MacArthurBug

• Giddy
  • Hipparch
  • I can resist anything except temptation
    • undercaffinated
Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 02:43:31 PM
Fun little story. And the whole: "What did he wish for?" aspect was great.

Oh, great and mighty Alasdair, Orator Maleficent, He of the Silvered Tongue, guide this humble fangirl past jumping up and down and squeeing upon hearing the greatness of Thy voice.
Oh mighty Mur the Magnificent. I am not worthy.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 08:31:06 PM
Chalk up another "Podcastle Lost Episode" ... as in, this one was lost on me. 

"It wasn't world peace" ... duh, did anybody seriously think it would be? 

And mothers yammering about their kids is something I find annoying in any circumstance -- I usually counter with stories about my cats if the situation allows. 

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Loz

• Lochage
    • Blah Flowers
Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 10:34:24 AM
WHAT did he wish for, exactly?

I thought he wished that he could eat whatever he wanted to, hence the two women having names of things that could be eaten. Or perhaps that was unrelated whimsy on the writer's part, none of the other wishes mentioned seemed to be retroactive, people remembered cars even if they now had to drive dinosaurs.

A fun little story that quite charmed me on my way to the launderette this morning.

GreatAuntMaude

• Extern
Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 09:46:25 PM
The ending would've SOUNDED better had there been more of a pause before the last line.

Seconded. 

GAM

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 05:23:56 PM
I wish for an ending.

It was an interesting scenario set up, though I've seen similar ones before.  I like some incomplete endings, where I'm left to decide the rest, but in this one the worldbuilding happened pretty much right away, and then the only question was what he'd wish for.  And then he didn't, so it was a let-down.