Author Topic: Avatar picture  (Read 4582 times)

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
on: March 12, 2010, 02:54:04 AM
I'm trying to upload a picture to use for my avatar, and when I try to upload it from my hard drive I get the following message "The attachments upload directory is not writable. Your attachment or avatar cannot be saved. "

I also tried getting it from a URL, and it doesn't give me an error message but it also doesn't show up. 

Any tips?

Boggled Coriander

• Lochage
    • Balancing Frogs
Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 04:13:59 AM
This issue's come up before on this forum.  Basically, yeah, it's a long-running problem.  My avatar's on another site (an old blog post of mine) and I had the forum software link to it (the "I have my own pic" option). 

"The meteor formed a crater, vampires crawling out of the crater." -  The Lyttle Lytton contest

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 04:21:18 AM
That's what I was going to suggest: linking to the picture as a url to a different site.

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 04:29:14 AM
That's what I was going to suggest: linking to the picture as a url to a different site.

I tried that and it didn't give me an error, but it still doesn't display.  Does the image have to be a certain size or certain file type?

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 06:06:57 AM
Well I took a look at it and everything should be fine, but I'm guessing that blog doesn't want it to be linked to or... Something.  Try hosting the image on something like photobucket.  I have my avatar on picassa.
And yes, uploading avatars hasn't worked for pretty much the whole time this forum has existed.  I think it worked at first, but I'm not positive.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 12:11:28 PM
Well I took a look at it and everything should be fine, but I'm guessing that blog doesn't want it to be linked to or... Something.  Try hosting the image on something like photobucket.  I have my avatar on picassa.
And yes, uploading avatars hasn't worked for pretty much the whole time this forum has existed.  I think it worked at first, but I'm not positive.

Photobucket did the trick.  Thanks!