Author Topic: Asimov's now accepting electronic submissions  (Read 7232 times)

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
on: April 30, 2010, 09:00:46 PM
Thanks to Corey Doctorow and John Scalzi pointing out that Asimov's is now accepting electronic submissions to their magazine.

http://www.asimovs.com/info/guidelines.shtml
http://whatever.scalzi.com/

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 09:50:42 PM
Cool!

Pity I have like maybe two scifi stories total, and hardly the hardest of science involved, to boot...

jrderego

• Hipparch
  • Writer of Union Dues stories (among others)
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 10:04:14 PM
Thanks to Corey Doctorow and John Scalzi pointing out that Asimov's is now accepting electronic submissions to their magazine.

http://www.asimovs.com/info/guidelines.shtml
http://whatever.scalzi.com/

Amazing, they finally got an email account. Cool! Now it won't cost me $2 to get a printed form rejection.

"Happiness consists of getting enough sleep." Robert A. Heinlein
Also, please buy my book - Escape Clause: A Union Dues Novel
http://www.encpress.com/EC.html

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 10:59:26 PM
Very good news!

Hopefully F&SF and RoF will follow suit soon...

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 11:57:03 PM
Very good news!

Seriously.  It costs me more like five bucks to get the form letter, 'cause I have to print at the library.  >:-|

Of course, they're probably just as happy not to hear from me...

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 05:57:30 PM
Very good news!

Seriously.  It costs me more like five bucks to get the form letter, 'cause I have to print at the library.  >:-|

Of course, they're probably just as happy not to hear from me...

I think I spent something like $15 to get two rejections. Fortunately both came with personalized letters, so it was worth it, because both made the story better. But it was $15... (I don't own a printer because the ink ends up costing ruinous amounts of money.)

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

eagle37

• Extern
Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 02:08:34 PM
Cheez - personalised rejections! One step away from publication  :)
Only ever got one of those, and that was near 20 year ago

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 03:05:50 PM
Cheez - personalised rejections! One step away from publication  :)
Only ever got one of those, and that was near 20 year ago

I've gotten about a dozen over the past year (not from Asimov's). Although to be honest I'd rather have no personalized rejections and that story published by Asimov's... :)

For every personalized one, though, I have 20 or so that are form.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

Dem

• Lochage
  • aka conboyhillfiction.wordpress.com
    • Suzanne Conboy-Hill
Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 08:58:53 PM
Hm. No personalised rejection and loads of frustration trying to do the stamped addressed envelope thing from the UK. At least being booted back won't have involved standing in a queue at the post office next time ;D

Science is what you do when the funding panel thinks you know what you're doing. Fiction is the same only without the funding.

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 01:06:36 PM
As it's been revived, I'll threadjack to ask those of you who've applied to both pubs with email submissions and online form submissions if you've greatly preferred one or the other? Does the more certainty you're getting the formatting/necessary info down with the online form outweigh any additional hassles?

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

jrderego

• Hipparch
  • Writer of Union Dues stories (among others)
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #10 on: September 09, 2010, 01:17:50 PM
As it's been revived, I'll threadjack to ask those of you who've applied to both pubs with email submissions and online form submissions if you've greatly preferred one or the other? Does the more certainty you're getting the formatting/necessary info down with the online form outweigh any additional hassles?

Admittedly, email subs can be easier if the market takes attachments. When you have to reformat a 6000 word story from standard manuscript format to single spaced text file with line breaks instead of indents and _characters to set off italics, it's a pain in the trunk (car not elephant) and always, ALWAYS, introduces errors of some sort, and always forces going back to the original manuscript and fixing things that get changed in the body of the email (this is also inevitable). I've got the reformat process down to about 10 minutes of work with a text editor and search/replace in Word, but that's still ten minutes I could be spending on a query letter or whatever.

Online form submissions are a crap-shoot as I never know what the thing is going to do to the format of my submission. Typically I weigh whether or not I really like the market before using an online form to submit, unless it simply allows me to upload a document as an attachment.

There's my 2 cents. Add 150 of your own cents and you can get a small coffee at Dunkin Donuts in beautiful downtown Derry, New Hampshire.

"Happiness consists of getting enough sleep." Robert A. Heinlein
Also, please buy my book - Escape Clause: A Union Dues Novel
http://www.encpress.com/EC.html

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 01:41:56 PM
I'm with Derego, email subs are nice but the text reformatting can be a pain.  It's alleviated a bit by keeping a copy of the text file in the same folder as the main file and only altering it when I make revisions (which I usually don't do once I start submitting).  Then I check the modify date for both before the next time, and as long as the text file has a more recent modify-by date then I don't need to redo the process.

I don't really mind web forms, and I really like the ones with shnazzy tracking systems that give you additional information, especially the ones that tell you your number in the queue (like Clarkesworld, Fantasy, Electric Velocipede).

Dem

• Lochage
  • aka conboyhillfiction.wordpress.com
    • Suzanne Conboy-Hill
Reply #12 on: September 09, 2010, 10:02:46 PM
I write flash. Standing in a queue can take longer than writing the darn thing in the first place! :D

Science is what you do when the funding panel thinks you know what you're doing. Fiction is the same only without the funding.

Anarkey

• Meen Pie
  • Hipparch
  • ...depends a good deal on where you want to get to
Reply #13 on: September 10, 2010, 10:41:41 AM

I love online form submissions that are attached to the clarkesworld sub system, because it's worth the online sub to get the down to the second queue info.  If it's an online sub system that doesn't give me any feedback, it's six of one with an email sub, imo, email slightly better because I can check what I sent when I'm feeling paranoid.

Winner Nash's 1000th member betting pool + Thaurismunths' Free Rice Contest!

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #14 on: September 10, 2010, 01:12:46 PM
Online submission systems that send out a notification e-mail (WITH the story's title) are also good.  (That way, when I'm doing a paranoia check on whether a given story is under consideration or not and I search my mail for the story title, I don't miss it.)

falconesse

• Peltast
    • L'esprit d'escalier
Reply #15 on: September 10, 2010, 02:15:13 PM
I've also really liked the Clarkesworld/Lightspeed online form.  Being able to see where you are in the queue is keen, even if it also encourages obsessive refreshing and the biting of nails.

I'd say I like online form and email submissions about equally, provided you can upload your .doc/.rtf/.txt file.  The online submission forms that require you to copy/paste into a text box NEVER keep my formatting, so I spend time grumbling and muttering and making sure all the line breaks and italics are in the right places.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #16 on: September 10, 2010, 03:40:11 PM
Pretty much agreeing with the last few posters - online sub forms are GREAT and easy and keep me from being too paranoid, especially when you can view your place in the queue.