Author Topic: Bring Steve back  (Read 6256 times)

Wintermute4791

• Extern
on: July 02, 2010, 10:43:07 AM
I'm glad Escape Pod's still going after the departure of Steve BUT it isn't the same. I've been listening to the podcast since episode 50 or thereabouts, and have enjoyed the vast majority of episodes, and in particular Steve's unique style of hosting teh show, and witty commentary. To me he is as much a part of Escape Pod as the mostly fabulous stories and the trully amazing stories on the show each week (more or less). I think the new guys are doing a good job keeping the dream alive and kudos for that, but I can't help but feel that much of the magic is gone with Steve's departure. Can't you clone his voice to make some new intros? Get that guy who read "Head Of State" to do some more readings as well. That guy ROCKS!. Anyway, without dissing the new staff at EP, and asking the universe to reverse one of the greatest wrongs it's come up with since communism and Feature-length infomercials, PLEASE bring Steve back as much as possible!

eytanz

Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 11:52:38 AM
The thing is, Steve left. Of his own choice. He wasn't fired, or sent away. He's also not some sort of pet or servant that can be summoned back whenever people want him. I'm sure that whenever he is interested in participating no-one will say no, but I also think we should respect his choices.

alllie

• Matross
    • alllieblog
Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 12:57:10 PM
The thing is, Steve left. Of his own choice. He wasn't fired, or sent away. He's also not some sort of pet or servant that can be summoned back whenever people want him. I'm sure that whenever he is interested in participating no-one will say no, but I also think we should respect his choices.

It's our fault. We didn't pay him enough.

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 01:52:51 PM
It's our fault. We didn't pay him enough.

I'm not entirely sure how serious this comment is meant to be, but it seems like as good a time as any to bring back up the actual stated reasons for his leaving.

That warrants more explanation, and I'll say more soon.  What I want you to know right now is that I'm going to be resigning from Escape Pod.  This isn't actually a negative, although it probably sounds that way.  It's the right thing to do for myself and it's the right thing to do for the podcast.  There's a plan in the works to bring new energy in -- one or more people who will do better by you than I have lately.

Escape Pod won't be going away.  I really do think the podcast matters.  The stories matter, and the audience matters.  And I'm not going to say you'll never hear my voice again.  But I won't be trying to keep everything on my shoulders.  That worked for a few years, and I felt I needed to keep coming back to it.  But I think you deserve better.  And we're going to work to make sure you get it.

It does take a lot of work to run the podcasts, and while money is always useful (authors needing to be paid and all), it wasn't really the cause here. You can argue that if EP were getting enough in donations that it could pay a full time salary things could have worked out differently, but following Steve on his twitter you get a sense he really does enjoy coding, and most of five years is a long time to do something.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

alllie

• Matross
    • alllieblog
Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 02:27:23 PM
It does take a lot of work to run the podcasts, and while money is always useful (authors needing to be paid and all), it wasn't really the cause here. You can argue that if EP were getting enough in donations that it could pay a full time salary things could have worked out differently, but following Steve on his twitter you get a sense he really does enjoy coding, and most of five years is a long time to do something.

If we could have paid him as much as he made coding, plus insurance, I bet he would have stayed. Then coding could have been his hobby, instead of podcasting.

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 03:09:04 PM

If we could have paid him as much as he made coding, plus insurance, I bet he would have stayed. Then coding could have been his hobby, instead of podcasting.

Possibly, but people leave jobs they like in search of new things and different challenges. I worked during my teenage years for a guy who'd been in politics all his life, then sold his company and started a travel business. He still loves politics, but he needed something new.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Wintermute4791

• Extern
Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 03:29:13 PM
No argument here, like I said, the podcast feels incomplete without him to me. Steve's a human being with his own life like all of us. I guess it is sometimes hard to accept a "show" with an all-new cast right away, specially after a long time listening. EP will keep evolving and developing and as the new guys bring in more of their power into the show it will become whole again.

Someone mentioned that I was being selfish in my post, and I guess there's a bit of truth to that, sometimes we don't like when things change. This has been a theme thoroughly explored in nearly all literary genres (with the possible exception of technical manuals...on second thought, probably not).

Anyway, thanks for the feedback guys!

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 03:48:06 PM
I hear what you're saying, Wintermute.

I think all of a miss Steve. He's the big reason why we all started listening in the first place. It wasn't just the stories, but also that he let us inside his life. He literally changed a lot of our lives, and personally, made mine richer.

While I agree with everything else that's been said about his own choices and respecting that, money, etc., there's nothing wrong with missing him or his voice.

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 03:56:52 PM
I think part of it may be that right now, due to the many guest hosts right now with the Hugos (and thanks for everyone stepping up to fill the void there), there isn't a consistant voice of the podcast.  Mur hosted for a couple of weeks, and then it's been the Hugos.  I think once Mur becomes the familiar voice behind the hosting mic, we, the audience, will get back to that "at home" feeling.  Because well, Mur is awesome.  Of course, we will always miss Steve.

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

Wintermute4791

• Extern
Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 04:11:27 PM
I was inspired by EP and Steve's dream to start up my own business. Leaving gainful employment to follow my dreams. It is one hell of a job to be your own boss and create something that becomes big and loved by many people, and when it is your side gig, it's even harder. Add in family responsibilities and obligations and well, the answer's pretty obvious. Anyway, It'd be fun to hear a cameo of Steve stitched together from other intros, so he can tell us how fun terraforming Venus was and all.

Yargling

• Peltast
Reply #10 on: July 03, 2010, 08:11:04 PM
I have to say, leave Steve alone. He wants to focus on his family and job, and he's already given alot to us all - change happens, and if this community has to be able to accept change or else, whats the point?

Sorry if this sounds alittle stand off ish, but this happened the last time Steve left, and the guy who took over got a ton of un-deserved stick purely because he wasn't Steve.

Sandym

• Extern
Reply #11 on: July 17, 2010, 11:08:32 AM
I've waited a little while before chipping in to this one. I want to get it as right as I can (even spelling, ha ha).

Steve was a very special podcaster because he was prepared to let us share his emotions and also the story choice reflected his emotional state. Very few people can be that open. Normally I listen to podcasts whilst driving and there have been several times I've had to pull over due to "emotional reaction" to the story. I know I'm not alone in this.

Steve touched a lot of us in a very special and private way that we probably thought couldn't be reached by anything as impersonal as a podcast. My life is worse because he is not in it, but we all must respect his choice and say "don't be a stranger even if we don't hear from you very often".

So it's "see you soon" to Steve. EP won't be the same again but that doesn't mean Mur and the rest of the team won't make a success of it. I'm still listening and I'm still contributing cash - you should too if you can and you aren't already.

Still the best podcast around!

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #12 on: July 18, 2010, 05:18:25 PM

This.

Eley has a life outside this podcast.  Suck it up and deal.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising