Author Topic: Where to look for writers  (Read 15488 times)

drowemos

• Extern
on: August 11, 2010, 08:42:08 AM
Where I would I go to post a "Writer wanted" notice?

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 12:27:14 PM
Depends upon what you want written. What do you want written?

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

drowemos

• Extern
Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 03:56:23 PM
I want a comic script written.  I publish webcomics (www.exiern.com www.bladebunny.com www.knitprincess.com).  I am looking to bring some more diverse talent into the writing process and off load some of the work.  I feel it's a not good to have too many comics written by one person.  I have posted on the standard webcomic boards and gotten a few replies but I was really hoping to recruit view points other than my own.  At this point all I have gotten are people with bios that look plagiarized from my personal autobiography. So I though I would try to reach beyond the webcomic community.

On a related note I was planing on offering half ownership of the project in loo of pay.  For the webcomics community this is considered a good deal since I would be paying for the artist and other production things and comic script writing is a pretty light work.  However the reality of this arrangement is that there would be no pay for a year and only a 50/50 shot of any pay after that since webcomics don't make money in the first year traditionally. Would this ownership sharing arrangement be considered an insult if I posted on a more traditional writing venue?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 04:11:13 PM by drowemos »

jrderego

• Hipparch
  • Writer of Union Dues stories (among others)
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 04:19:19 PM
I want a comic script written.  I publish webcomics (www.exiern.com www.bladebunny.com www.knitprincess.com).  I am looking to bring some more diverse talent into the writing process and off load some of the work.  I feel it's a not good to have too many comics written by one person.  I have posted on the standard webcomic boards and gotten a few replies but I was really hoping to recruit view points other than my own.  At this point all I have gotten are people with bios that look plagiarized from my personal autobiography. So I though I would try to reach beyond the webcomic community.

On a related note I was planing on offering half ownership of the project in loo of pay.  For the webcomics community this is considered a good deal since I would be paying for the artist and other production things and comic script writing is a pretty light work.  However the reality of this arrangement is that there would be no pay for a year and only a 50/50 shot of any pay after that since webcomics don't make money in the first year traditionally. Would this ownership sharing arrangement be considered an insult if I posted on a more traditional writing venue?

Wait, wait, wait a cotton-picking minute... You're going to pay an artist, but expect the writer to work for the future promise of maybe pay in a year? Yeah, good luck with that. Any writer who foolishly signs onto an arrangement like this is worth exactly what they're being paid.

Also, I was going to politely correct your use of "loo" to "lieu" since loo is slang for toilet and lieu means "in exchange for" but I think you might have described your deal pretty accurately with "loo".

"Happiness consists of getting enough sleep." Robert A. Heinlein
Also, please buy my book - Escape Clause: A Union Dues Novel
http://www.encpress.com/EC.html

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 05:25:42 PM
A quick Googling indicates that normal rates of pay for comics scripting are somewhere around $50-$100 per page.  Assuming you're going on a skeletal structure of, say, two updates per month, that's still $1200-$2400 of work that you want for free.

My advice is to make some friends and start a real collaboration.  You're not going to get a lot of people signing on to your comic "for the love" if you have to tell them who you are and what you do beforehand.  If you were, say, Alex Ross or someone, then you could probably have your pick of willing freebie-writers.

Listener

• Hipparch
Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 05:33:45 PM
I would say this: there's never too much of your own work out there. If you think you're doing too much, then pare down and focus your creative energies on one or two things. Maybe update less frequently on the comics you aren't as enamored with.

Being a creative person, getting your work out there, and finding time to do it all in is HARD. I'm about to have to decide between writing and exercise -- and unfortunately, exercise is probably going to win (for the first time in my life, I got tired climbing up one set of stairs -- admittedly it was 1.5 stories, but still, that should NOT happen). It takes me half an hour on average to submit a story because I have to find the market, format the story for that market, submit it, then put it on my spreadsheet and my follow-up calendar. Editing takes a long time too. In fact, just writing is time-consuming, but on the bright side, when you're on a roll, you're on a ROLL.

If you're looking for collaborators, why not turn to your fans? Ask them to write a week or two worth of scripts for you to review, using your characters -- basically, fanfic. When you find someone -- or a few someones -- that you like, discuss bringing them on to write story arcs. After all, Stan Lee doesn't write every single Spiderman or Fantastic Four comic. And Gene Roddenberry (before his death) certainly wasn't involved in every single Star Trek tie-in novel. If you do go this route, though, you CANNOT neglect the clause in your call for scripts that "portions of submitted scripts may appear in the comic, and anything submitted becomes property of Drowemos Enterprises (or whatever your company is)".

If you do end up bringing on a new writer that you want to transfer some ownership to, you're going to have to pay that person somehow, and the promise of future riches isn't always enough. But it might be. You will have to be fair, though; either pay the artist and the writer, or don't pay either one but offer them a similar deal to each other. You say comic writing is light work, and maybe it is, but if you think about it, both words and pictures are equally important. The comic "Everything Jake" was both well-written and well-drawn (by the same guy), but there were parts of it where the author only wrote the story as text. I have to admit I skipped over those. Similarly, if I'm watching a movie and there's a fight scene, if I don't care about how I got to this point then it doesn't matter how many awesome effects were included.

These are just my thoughts. You may have others.

drowemos

• Extern
Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 11:13:39 PM
Let me address a few things about the pay scale.

1) A standard comic book artist will put in 8 hours on a comic book page.  A standard comic book writer will put in half an hour per comic book page.  This disparity of effort is why artist get more that writers.

2) Since 75% of a comic book page are simply instructions for a single person, the artist, and will never see print the standards on the instructions are pretty low.  In fact the marvel style of writing was for the artist draws the art first and the writer simply ads the dialog to the picture after the fact.  Only about 5 sentences on average of the writers work make it in to publications.  At $100 per page that a rate of about $1.33 per word or $.25 per letter. Yes some people do get paid that much but they are big names that can attract and audience.

3) Traditionally in comics artist have been work for hire getting paid a flat rate where writers have been co owners of the comic making their money on the success of the comic. This is just the way that it has been done.

4) In comic art attracts readers writing bring them back for more.  The immediate success of a comic is due to the artists work not due to anything the writer does.  However the long term success rests on the writers shoulders. Thus the parties are paid according what they are doing for the comic.

5) The reason I can't just put these comics on the back burner is that if I do I loose a good artist who is working on the comic.  Artist need to be kept occupied or they stray.  I have enough money to pay 4 artists right now but only have the time for 3 comics.  So I need something to keep the 4th artist busy because it's very hard to find a good artist.

I could probably pay something for a writer but $100 for a half hours work and 5 sentences?  Might as well just hire a team of Harvard educated lawyers to do the job, it would be cheaper.

However the upshot of all this seem to by this proposition will not be well received among the greater writer community. Fair enough.  I though I would give it a try.

PS: As for lieu/loo.  I am a card carrying dyslexic so I guess it's time to play that card.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 02:11:40 AM
If it was that easy, you could do it yourself. 

A good writer has honed his/her craft over years of practice and work, comics writers no less than anyone else.  Personally, I find that good writing can carry a comic far, far more than good art can.  I will cheerfully read butt-ugly drawings with a truly clever and gifted writer behind them, but my capacity for looking at pretty pictures pretty much begins and ends with Dixit.

Let me just make a brief counterpoint:

If you want someone to help you do your work, offering them nothing, telling them it's a good deal, and then lecturing them on how easy their job is and how little they deserve any pay at all is probably not the best way to go about accomplishing your goal.  Imagine walking into a bar full of construction workers and offering to let them sleep in the guest bedroom for a year if they'll come and build you a house, then telling them that lifting and carrying bricks is really something even a trained monkey could do and you don't even know why anyone would bother to pay a contractor for anything.  Now try to imagine getting out of that bar with all of your teeth intact.

Lucky for you, we writers are much more easygoing (and also tend to be pretty much welterweights.)

drowemos

• Extern
Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 09:29:35 AM
Valid points Scattercat and it would be compelling if you weren't arguing for $100 for a half hours work. Writing is important, valuable and a skilled task that takes time to prefect.  I would have to argue with the premise that it should be paid on the same scale as microscopic neurosurgery.

Look at it this way.  What I if I were offering to have a story you write illustrated by a professional artist.  This illustration process costs thousands of dollars to implement plus a good deal of time on my part for management of the process.  You would own the finished product and could do what ever you wanted with it and in fact I will help you publish and distribute the work.  The only thing I asked in return was for a percentage of any profits you made off of the illustrated story.

This is essentially what I am offering to do.  Isn't denying me a percentage of the take undervaluing the work I am putting in to this project?  Granted the basic building blocks of the story have already been laid down.  You are not creating something purely from your own imagination so it's not the perfect situation. And perhaps you should be compensated for that difficulty.  Not however $100 per half hour I would say.  And it really doesn't sound like a teeth kicking situation to me. 

Listener

• Hipparch
Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 12:10:43 PM
A good writer has honed his/her craft over years of practice and work, comics writers no less than anyone else.  Personally, I find that good writing can carry a comic far, far more than good art can.  I will cheerfully read butt-ugly drawings with a truly clever and gifted writer behind them, but my capacity for looking at pretty pictures pretty much begins and ends with Dixit.

Which I suppose explains the popularity of XKCD, Abstruse Goose, and Doghouse Diaries -- the art ain't great, but the writing is.

jrderego

• Hipparch
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 12:44:18 PM
Valid points Scattercat and it would be compelling if you weren't arguing for $100 for a half hours work. Writing is important, valuable and a skilled task that takes time to prefect.  I would have to argue with the premise that it should be paid on the same scale as microscopic neurosurgery.

Look at it this way.  What I if I were offering to have a story you write illustrated by a professional artist.  This illustration process costs thousands of dollars to implement plus a good deal of time on my part for management of the process.  You would own the finished product and could do what ever you wanted with it and in fact I will help you publish and distribute the work.  The only thing I asked in return was for a percentage of any profits you made off of the illustrated story.

This is essentially what I am offering to do.  Isn't denying me a percentage of the take undervaluing the work I am putting in to this project?  Granted the basic building blocks of the story have already been laid down.  You are not creating something purely from your own imagination so it's not the perfect situation. And perhaps you should be compensated for that difficulty.  Not however $100 per half hour I would say.  And it really doesn't sound like a teeth kicking situation to me. 

Since it ONLY takes a half hour, why, in the time it took you to again insult all here who make writing their profession with your justification for no pay and insistence that writing is not important or difficult, you would have an easy week's worth of comics and not have had to pay anyone anything.

Seems like simple economics.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #11 on: August 12, 2010, 01:00:45 PM
So take two hours and bang out a month's worth of writing for a comic.  Oh, wait, it's harder and takes longer than that.  Gosh, silly me expecting market rates for my work. 

Now, if we were close friends and I was a big proponent for your whatever-it-is project, I'd have no problem working for little to no remuneration.  Hell, I give away a story every day at Mirrorshards, no questions asked.  But that's not what you're asking for; you want to hire someone, and you asked if offering no money at all was fair or tempting.  The answer is a flat "no." 

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #12 on: August 12, 2010, 02:08:06 PM
If it was that easy, you could do it yourself. 

Let me just make a brief counterpoint:

If you want someone to help you do your work, offering them nothing, telling them it's a good deal, and then lecturing them on how easy their job is and how little they deserve any pay at all is probably not the best way to go about accomplishing your goal.  Imagine walking into a bar full of construction workers and offering to let them sleep in the guest bedroom for a year if they'll come and build you a house, then telling them that lifting and carrying bricks is really something even a trained monkey could do and you don't even know why anyone would bother to pay a contractor for anything.  Now try to imagine getting out of that bar with all of your teeth intact.

Lucky for you, we writers are much more easygoing (and also tend to be pretty much welterweights.)

This.  And you do realize that you're in "The Writing Forum", yes?  So I'm not sure what you intend to gain by telling those of us interested in writing that we ought to do it for free and be thankful for the work.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #13 on: August 12, 2010, 02:10:35 PM

Which I suppose explains the popularity of XKCD, Abstruse Goose, and Doghouse Diaries -- the art ain't great, but the writing is.

Absolutely.  The art of a comic is an important component, but if I had to choose between great art and great writing I'd choose the writing anyday.  The art supports the plot described by the writing.  And with comic writing, there is more just the text on the screen to be written, someone has to determine what actually HAPPENS, and while that is depicted by the artists, someone is writing the plot as well, even that which does not turn into text.

drowemos

• Extern
Reply #14 on: August 12, 2010, 06:33:43 PM
Again a few clarification. 

It takes two hours to write 3 to 4 pages of comics.  I know because I write 4 comics currently and I can crank out a page of script for each one in the time I get up before work. A month's worth of comics updating at 3 pages a week would takes about 8 hours or about a full days work. I have done that many times. Granted this is the super loose scripts that are common in the webcomics arena.

Why don't I just write it myself?  Because I think having diversity of viewpoint is a good thing.  For example I www.knitprincess.com is under the profit sharing agreement I detailed above.  Why don't I write the knitting comic myself?  Because I don't knit. But it's a smart business move to try and tap into to the knitting market. 

This was the point of looking for a writer to find someone who could capture a different viewpoint.

But, anyway, you say a full partnership deal is a non starter.  Fine I am not rigid in this.  However $100 per comic pages is also a non-starter for me.  It would kill the project and is more that I am paying the artist.  So what's the arrangement that would be reasonable without breaking the budget.  Keep in mind that a standard comic script has fair amount of white space on the page and very loose standards for description like this:

http://images.darkhorse.com/darkhorse08/company/submissions/DHScriptFormatGuides.pdf

Would $5 a page on a work for hire contract work?  That equates to about 3 cents per word on a standard comic script page, which, by the way is what escape pod pays on average. I am a little confused by the insistence that I pay 20 times more that escape pod.

Is there a combination of say 25% net profits and a $1 per page that would be acceptable?

I mean, yes it would be cool if we could all be paid $200 an hour for our work.  I know people WANT $200+ per hour for their work but what are people willing to ACCEPT for their work.  For an independent producer on a small web project that is $200 per hour an insane rate.

Also the original intent of this tread was to find places to post.  Does anyone know of any good places to post an ad?

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #15 on: August 12, 2010, 06:35:09 PM
It takes two hours to write 3 to 4 pages of comics.  I know because I write 4 comics currently and I can crank out a page of script for each one in the time I get up before work.

Not to be unkind, but I read your comics from the links you provided.  I could tell.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #16 on: August 12, 2010, 07:24:49 PM
FWIW, yes, a token payment is preferable to no payment.

Unlike Scattercat, I haven't read your comics, but I'm a fan of the medium. And it's a very collaborative medium. It thrives on the collaboration between words, story, and pictures. Sometimes moreso than even film/television. Suggesting that one takes more time to do than the other is really selling both the artist and the writer short.

falconesse

• Peltast
    • L'esprit d'escalier
Reply #17 on: August 12, 2010, 07:25:53 PM
See, here's where I'm having some trouble (the bolding is mine):

First you say:
On a related note I was planing on offering half ownership of the project in loo of pay.  For the webcomics community this is considered a good deal since I would be paying for the artist and other production things and comic script writing is a pretty light work.  However the reality of this arrangement is that there would be no pay for a year and only a 50/50 shot of any pay after that since webcomics don't make money in the first year traditionally.

If the comic fails after the first year then, well, fifty percent of nothing is (cue Jayne Cobb impression)  "let me do the math here... nothin' into nothin'...carry the nothin'..."

So according to your estimates, with a month's worth of comic writing taking eight hours, you're asking someone to put in at least a year's worth of work -- 96 hours -- for potentially... zero compensation.  While your artists get paid up front, even if their art doesn't draw in any readers.  You also offer no real information about what this half-ownership entails.  Let's say that, in a year, the comic is still around and making money.  From what revenue do the writers get paid?  A tip jar on the site?  Money that comes in from google/banner ads?  Tee shirt sales?

Is there a combination of say 25% net profits and a $1 per page that would be acceptable?

Again, define "net profits."  That phrase alone raises some red flags without clarification.  Aside from (I assume) the artists' pay, what else are you subtracting from the money that comes into the site before you'd pay your writers?  Domain/hosting fees?  Advertising on other sites?  Will you show writers that might be interested a detailed breakdown of how you'll figure "net profits?"  What about a look at what the writer for the knitting comic is making right now?  Or, if that hasn't been up for a year, what you anticipate his or her pay will be once the comic becomes profitable?  How much money will the comic have to make before the writer gets paid under the profit-sharing model?

I'm not trying to be combative here, but you're essentially asking a writer to put in two-plus weeks' worth of work for free (or, to fill the glass halfway, asking them to wait a year before they get paid for those two-plus weeks (maybe)), and that's part of what has people raising brows.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 10:47:10 PM by falconesse »

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #18 on: August 12, 2010, 09:24:26 PM
I'm not trying to be combative here, but you're essentially asking a writer to put in two-plus weeks' worth of work for free (or, to fill the glass halfway, asking them to wait a year before they get paid for those two-plus weeks (maybe)), and that's what has people raising brows.

Well, that and the whole "Yeah, but writing is super-easy and you could pound out a whole year of comics in a single bathroom break" attitude.  I don't even write webcomics and that's irritating me.  I put out a hundred words every day (nearly) without fail, and I take a good 20-30 minutes over those hundred words because it's important to me to do it well; that's how long it takes to craft words appropriately, let alone tally up the balance of words to pictures, when to talk a lot and when to rely on visual storytelling, etc.  It's the patent disregard for the skills involved that rubs me the wrong way, even ignoring the downright serf-like wages proposed.

falconesse

• Peltast
    • L'esprit d'escalier
Reply #19 on: August 12, 2010, 10:46:24 PM
I'm not trying to be combative here, but you're essentially asking a writer to put in two-plus weeks' worth of work for free (or, to fill the glass halfway, asking them to wait a year before they get paid for those two-plus weeks (maybe)), and that's what has people raising brows.

Well, that and the whole "Yeah, but writing is super-easy and you could pound out a whole year of comics in a single bathroom break" attitude.  I don't even write webcomics and that's irritating me.  I put out a hundred words every day (nearly) without fail, and I take a good 20-30 minutes over those hundred words because it's important to me to do it well; that's how long it takes to craft words appropriately, let alone tally up the balance of words to pictures, when to talk a lot and when to rely on visual storytelling, etc.  It's the patent disregard for the skills involved that rubs me the wrong way, even ignoring the downright serf-like wages proposed.

Oh, god, absolutely.  I should have said "part of what has people raising brows..." and I'll edit the post to reflect that.

I've been thinking "What Scattercat said" through a lot of the flash contest, and you've pretty much summed up my thoughts on drowemos' dismissal of writers and the writing process in this thread, only with less frothing at the mouth than I'd do. :D

drowemos

• Extern
Reply #20 on: August 13, 2010, 04:44:09 AM
Oh for pete's sake.  This is insane.

I am not dismissing writers work.  I am looking for a writer because I know it will increase the quality of the comic.  I am trying to be as honest and upfront about the process as possible.  I was the one who asked in the first place if a join ownership agreement would be considered an insult.  I was worried about the deal and I wanted advice. I am trying to look for a way to get a quality writer and offer them a deal that they will like.  I am not trying to dismiss anyone.

But the fact is a standard webcomic script pages contains 300 words, perhaps print comic are more detailed but webcomics are very loose scripts. If you are telling me that 300 words deserves $100 a page a pay rate 5 to 10 times even the most lucrative markets I question your connection to this plane of existence. Serious what color is the sky on your planet because here on earth no one in their right mind would agree to that sort of pay rate.

I run under the assumption that 300 words is relatively quick to write where an artist has to take at least 8 to 10 hours for each page.  If you are telling me it takes a professional writer 1.6 minutes for each word those better be some pretty amazing words.  Again here on planet earth if something takes longer to do you generally get paid more money for it.  So in earth comics the artists get paid more per page because the earth writers can generate 300 words pretty quickly. The only possible explanation I can come up with is on your plane of existence you use some strange symbolic mathematical hybrid language that alters the very fabric of reality and that's why it takes you so long on each word you write.

I suggested 3 cents a word same pay rate as Escape Pod and Clark's World. Not good enough.  I also suggested 1.5 cents a page with a possible share of the revenues.  Seeing that two of my comics NET about $400 a month that's not chump change but again I didn't mention that because it is a gamble and i don't want to mislead people.  Places like the Drabblecast pay 1.5 cent per word with no profit sharing.  I though that I was offering a good deal.  But, no, that is also an insult.

I was not trying to insult or dismiss anyone but I must say your terms are unacceptable and quite possible the early stages of a undiagnosed psychological disorder. I wanted to find out where to look for a professional writer and what a reasonable deal to offer was.  What I got was beaten around like a pinata.  If this is what's it like to work with a professional writer I think I will go over to a fan fiction site offer someone a grilled cheese sandwich to write the script and call it a day.

I know I am going to regret this post tomorrow and I apologize in an advance for my acerbic tone.  I am just at my wits end here.  I was looking for help instead got my work and integrity insulted. It kind of sucks.   

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #21 on: August 13, 2010, 05:03:58 AM
I'm not arguing specifics.  I'm arguing tone.  You came on here with the attitude of "Writing is easy and the artist does all the hard work," and you said as much repeatedly.  You might not have intended to, but so far a good half-dozen people have heard it that way.  That suggests it's not some sort of weird quirk from me and jrderego.  I have no idea what a fair rate for webcomics writing would be (though "Hey, can you write a year of my comic for no pay at all?" isn't going to win any prizes as Most Desirable Opening Offer).  My point is that you'll get a lot more positive response if you come in with a bit more... well, call it flattery if you want.  Be nice to people if you want them to help you.  Talk up how hard writing is and how you'd really like to get someone whose work you admire and yadda yadda yadda.  This whole, "Well, I crank out a page while I take a whizz in the morning so how hard can it be?" stuff is not going to win you any shiny new writer-friends.

Frankly, if all you want is content on the cheap, try going to Textbroker or Mechanical Turk.  You'll find content farms aplenty where people will cheerfully give you mediocre scripts for pennies per page.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #22 on: August 13, 2010, 05:38:19 AM
*reads further out of sheer morbid curiosity*

Oh!  Hahahaha!  That explains why the comic name sounded so familiar. 

Yeah, I think I'll pass on the opportunity to write for a mercantile TG/TF fetish comic with nudie-pics behind a paywall.  This explains a lot that was weird about this whole thing.  Good luck with that, drow-dude.  Peace out.

jrderego

• Hipparch
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #23 on: August 13, 2010, 05:39:30 AM
I run under the assumption that 300 words is relatively quick to write where an artist has to take at least 8 to 10 hours for each page.  If you are telling me it takes a professional writer 1.6 minutes for each word those better be some pretty amazing words.  Again here on planet earth if something takes longer to do you generally get paid more money for it.  So in earth comics the artists get paid more per page because the earth writers can generate 300 words pretty quickly. The only possible explanation I can come up with is on your plane of existence you use some strange symbolic mathematical hybrid language that alters the very fabric of reality and that's why it takes you so long on each word you write.

Translation: "writing is really, really easy. I mean really. No thought at all. Hell, I learned how to write in elementary school. Drawing though, now that shit takes talent, the best "art" I ever did in elementary school was eating paste and weaving yarn, so I don't claim to be able to draw... I don't get why you crazy uppity writers think not getting paid or being paid in exposure (which has no monetary value on this or any other world in this or any other universe) is such a bad gig. You writer types have to start somewhere, right? Shit. 1.6 minutes per word is a long time. I wonder how long it takes to look up "loo" on the internet to make sure I know how to use it in a sentence? Ahh, who cares, because I measure quality by the time it takes to choose an individual word, not which words are chosen and why...

On a less caustic note. Thank you  for illuminating, once again, the true soul of the DIY crowd. Where "content wants to be free" means let's all work for nothing and eat unicorn farts for dinner and shelter ourselves beneath  forum comments from fans who can't wait for us to give them more free stuff. And when producers of content say "no, you pay me or you get nothing, you lose, good day sir." we get no end of grief.

And finally advice. Go post your comics listing at ralan.com, you'll get ten bazillion submissions from amateur writers a day and you'll have plenty of choice of new writers to exploit. Maybe you'll get a couple that will take the "I'll pay you in a year, if I feel like it" deal too.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #24 on: August 13, 2010, 05:53:40 AM
In fairness, I'm pretty okay with the idea of giving away art for free if that's what one wants to do with it.  If it were a friend of mine doing a webcomic, I'd cheerfully volunteer an afternoon or evening each week to write a script for him and see where the project led us.