Author Topic: This Dunesteef Thingy  (Read 8520 times)

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
on: February 01, 2011, 07:03:03 AM
Just listened to my first Dunesteef and found it most enjoyable! This was Ep91, featuring work by the estimable ElectricPaladin (author) and the indefatigable cdugger (produced). Nice work guys!

ElePal, I actually felt sorry when the story ended, would have loved to hear more! But I understand leaving it there... good place to stop.

I'm halfway through Ep90 featuring Scattercat's story. Let you know how it goes.

ElectricPaladin

• Hipparch
  • Holy Robot
    • Burning Zeppelin Experience
Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 06:19:20 PM
Thanks for your feedback. I also wish I knew what happened next. I like to think that he remembered who he was and opened the door to the Invisible Kingdom... but maybe not. Don't expect me to tell you what I intended, because my imagining of the story stopped right there.

I may be biased, as they provided me with my first professional sale, but the Dunesteef is a quality podcast. Their production values are insane, some of the best I've ever heard. I mean, seriously, the only thing better than the likes of Wilson Fowlie, Alasdair (did I get it right?) Stewart, and that guy with the creepy drawly voice that I keep on mistaking for Phil Rossi is full cast audio production. The Dunesteef runs some literary clunkers - who doesn't? - but I think they're batting a thousand in the production department.

In fact that's why I'm secretly happy that The Invisible Kingdom didn't get picked up by a pro-paying single narrator market. I really loved getting to hear all those different voices portraying the myriad background characters. My wife and I listened to the story together, squee-ing periodically. It was awesome.

All I've got to do now is get something else published...

Captain of the Burning Zeppelin Experience.

Help my kids get the educational supplies they need at my Donor's Choose page.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 07:34:53 PM

Oh, how quickly that feeling sets in  ;)

Dude! Enjoy the moment. You'll never have a first publication again! (I mean, I can tell you're enjoying it. And the Dunesteef is rad. Just...keep enjoying it.)

But, you know, do get to work on that other thing. Clocks ticking and all that.

kibitzer

• Hipparch
Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 01:31:05 AM
Thanks for your feedback. I also wish I knew what happened next. I like to think that he remembered who he was and opened the door to the Invisible Kingdom... but maybe not. Don't expect me to tell you what I intended, because my imagining of the story stopped right there.

Nah, I understand. It's not a nitpick, more of a "DAMN!! Now I'll never find out what happened and I really want to!"

Alasdair (did I get it right?) Stewart

Alasdair

Let us know! I'll be there, listening... or reading...

kibitzer

• Hipparch
Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 01:34:57 AM
So, Ep90, Scattercat's story...

Loved it, really good fun! I would say, "Ha ha ha! Eeewwww!" were it not an obvious thing to do. I found the child king ultimately creepy and ominous, but probably good for the country. He will be an interesting king indeed.  Great stuff!

Must have been a buzz listening to the audio, yes?

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 03:23:09 AM
It was a ton of fun.  The Dunesteef guys have always run a top-shelf operation in that regard.

tinygaia

• Peltast
Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 05:16:24 PM
I went looking for this podcast after I read this thread and finally listened to these two stories. Love them both! You both need to write sequels so I can see what comes next.

Scattercat, yours was such a great idea! I giggled throughout.

ElePal, perfect ending to a fantastic story! It made me think about what I would do in that situation. And it's your first sale? You should be so proud!

Also, thank you both for drawing my attention to this podcast. I'll be subscribing from now on.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 06:22:12 PM
Glad you guys enjoyed it.  ;-)

I don't know about sequels, though.  Part of the charm of both stories was leaving things unsaid and allowing people to fill in the gaps.  Mind you, I'm generally unenthusiastic about sequels and followup stories in the first place. 

Devoted135

• Hipparch
Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 09:21:54 PM
I recently got current again with all of my podcasts, and needed a new one. So, this post inspired me to check out the Dunesteef podcast and I really enjoyed both Scattercat's and ElectricPaladin's stories! (and have since gone back and listened to all the episodes released in '08)

Both endings really caught me off guard, when listening to Scattercat's and got to the author's note, I literally thought to myself "oh that's cool, they have a comment from the author as an intermission." It took about 5 minutes of their yammering* to convince me that the story really had ended. Then I had to go back and listen to the last scene again. ::)

Anyway, just wanted to chime in saying that these are some quality stories that people should definitely check out even if you don't want to tackle another podcast with a huge backlog. :)

*meant in no way to be disparaging, I'm kind of enjoying their yammering :D

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 09:57:17 PM
I have liked the Dunesteef from the start, even in those awkward early days.  (In fact, I like the awkward early days of most podcasts because it's nice to see how everything settles in and grows -- check out the early days of Drabblecast and Escape Pod).

I recently started helping to produce some of their episodes.  My first to air was Ep. 93 The Alarm.  The next couple will appear in the coming weeks/months, one featuring some familiar voices.

I have recently put up a list of  my top 10 Dunesteef eps on my blog (beat you to it Unblinking).  Although since then, I have discovered that I have missed a few in the middle, so I am catching up.  I don't think it would change the list too much though.  Scattercat's story made #2 on that list.  And while Electric Paladin's did not make the Top Ten, I really did enjoy that story as well.

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

tinygaia

• Peltast
Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 02:26:11 PM
I thought that was you! (I know you've said elsewhere on the forums that your real name is Marshal...) You did a great job on that episode. Didn't they mention you're doing (or have done) another one for them?

Swamp

• Hipparch
Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 02:30:26 PM
I thought that was you! (I know you've said elsewhere on the forums that your real name is Marshal...) You did a great job on that episode. Didn't they mention you're doing (or have done) another one for them?

Yes, a couple more.  I'm not sure when they will show up in the schedule.  It's a lot of fun!

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 05:01:49 PM
Yeah, Swamp turned me into a redneck.

Just for a little while, I mean!

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #13 on: February 24, 2011, 08:33:56 PM
I have recently put up a list of  my top 10 Dunesteef eps on my blog (beat you to it Unblinking).  Although since then, I have discovered that I have missed a few in the middle, so I am catching up.  I don't think it would change the list too much though.  Scattercat's story made #2 on that list.  And while Electric Paladin's did not make the Top Ten, I really did enjoy that story as well.

Thanks for ranking me #4 (writing) and #7 (acting). I'm glad you enjoyed both.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

Devoted135

• Hipparch
Reply #14 on: March 24, 2011, 07:08:27 PM

Thanks for ranking me #4 (writing) and #7 (acting). I'm glad you enjoyed both.

I just got to this episode today (27 Jennifers), and I wondered if that was you! Congrats, that was a seriously awesome story!

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #15 on: March 24, 2011, 09:15:33 PM
I just got to this episode today (27 Jennifers), and I wondered if that was you! Congrats, that was a seriously awesome story!

Thanks.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

tinygaia

• Peltast
Reply #16 on: March 26, 2011, 02:20:39 AM
Just listened to "Out of the Storm" today, Swamp. Does "produced" mean you added the sound effects too? Because I want to give kudos to you if you did. Those sound effects made that story. Dang creepy!

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #17 on: March 26, 2011, 05:27:59 AM
I have liked the Dunesteef from the start, even in those awkward early days.  (In fact, I like the awkward early days of most podcasts because it's nice to see how everything settles in and grows -- check out the early days of Drabblecast and Escape Pod).

I recently started helping to produce some of their episodes.  My first to air was Ep. 93 The Alarm.  The next couple will appear in the coming weeks/months, one featuring some familiar voices.

Thanks for the Top 10. I'll roll these in with PodCastle and Cast Macabre now that I'm about 10 PseudoPods from done.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Faraway Ray

• Lochage
  • "I loved it!" "So? You also loved World War II!"
Reply #18 on: May 20, 2011, 08:42:56 PM
Dunesteef is great. It's actually starting to edge out the Drabblecast as my favorite fiction podcast. I think I like the genuine awkwardness of the chatty segments after the stories.

A story of lust, violence and jelly.

Well, Here I Am. My little slice of the blaggin' world.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #19 on: July 12, 2011, 03:45:23 PM

Yes, you certainly did beat me to it!  Dunesteef will be my next list, but it'll be a while yet; I've got more than half their backlog to go, and with all the yammering after the show, it takes me a while to listen to each.  Especially since that yammering is enjoyable enough that I've not felt tempted to skip past any of it, unlike another podcast where I tend to immediately skip past any yammering (especially of the self-promotional variety).

Spindaddy

• Peltast
  • Small god of doughnuts
Reply #20 on: July 14, 2011, 01:09:44 PM
*sigh* I'm lost and hoping that y'all can enlighten me. What is Dunesteef?

I'm new to podcasts. I had thought Podcasts were just audioblogs and never really bothered listening to them. Since discovering Podcastle and subsequently EscapePod, my curiosity has been aroused and I'm very interested in learning more about all of these other audio fictions sites. I've heard of other places like the Drabblecast, but I haven't visted them...yet.

I noticed ElecPally said something about single-narrator and multiple voices? Is this something similiar to the "old radio-theater" podcasts that i've heard of in random intros and outros?

What is this Dunesteef that you all speak of?

I'm not evil. I'm corporate.

Devoted135

• Hipparch
Reply #21 on: July 14, 2011, 01:25:53 PM
Welcome to the world of podcasts, Spindaddy! :D You've definitely started strong with Podcastle and Escape Pod (definitely check out Pseudopod if you like horror...I happen to not).

The Dunesteef runs sf/f/horror/random stories but instead of only one reader (like Podcastle) they try to have each character voiced by a different person. They also add a lot of sound effects and music in the background so that it ends up being like an audio movie. The stories typically fall between 25-45 minutes long and then the two hosts talk about whatever they feel like (usually "geek"-related, I enjoy listening but you can easily skip) for the rest of the time, so don't be scared off by the length of each episode.

The Drabblecast falls in the middle in that Norm typically does all of the reading, but he does employ music/sound effects much more than Podcastle does. These stories are typically shorter, plus he's got a number of recurring segments such as Drabblenews (news stories so weird you couldn't make them up). You should definitely check both of them out! :)

Spindaddy

• Peltast
  • Small god of doughnuts
Reply #22 on: July 15, 2011, 12:52:34 AM
Thank you!!

I will definitely check Dunsteef out now that my little one has gone to sleep. I will also make my way over to the Drabblecast as well. Thank you for the clarifications!

I'm not evil. I'm corporate.

Swamp

• Hipparch
Reply #23 on: September 15, 2011, 05:05:41 PM
Wilson Fowlie narrates the story "All The Cool Monsters At Once" by James Alan Gardner over at the Dunesteef.  It is a fun little story.  Check it out.

ElectricPaladin

• Hipparch
  • Holy Robot
    • Burning Zeppelin Experience
Reply #24 on: September 15, 2011, 05:12:55 PM
Wilson Fowlie narrates the story "All The Cool Monsters At Once" by James Alan Gardner over at the Dunesteef.  It is a fun little story.  Check it out.

Yeah, the story didn't thrill me, but the narration was incredi-f*<king-bul, as usual.

Captain of the Burning Zeppelin Experience.

Help my kids get the educational supplies they need at my Donor's Choose page.