Author Topic: PseudoPod Stories for PodCastle Listeners  (Read 15329 times)

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
on: August 01, 2011, 05:54:52 PM
The challenge was issued in this poll thread to show folks that there’s a lot more material on the other two podcasts that will appeal to the listeners who gravitate towards one. By posting this, I am challenging the folks over here at PodCastle to make a similar list for both PseudoPod and EscapePod listeners. While you’re at it, add your opinions in this thread as to which stories I missed, and if you think I missed the mark on some of these.

I’ll admit, I mostly swim in PseudoPod’s murky waters. However, I’ve ventured out, sometimes on my own, sometimes on recommendation, and unearthed some significant gems. Enough such that the PodCastle back catalog has been loaded up, and I’m picking my way through.

I have gone through the episodes and I think PodCastle listeners would benefit from the following:

PP003: Little Boy Leg Bone: I think this is an interesting take on a child’s perspective on monsters.

PP006: What Dead People Are Supposed to Do: This story may have wound up on PodCastle if it had been up and running at the time of its publication. Go recover your lost cousin.

PP015: Regis St George: Here’s another lost cousin. Good story with a fantastic reading.

PP043: Everything is Better with Zombies: If you dug Some Zombie Contingency Plans, check this one out.

PP045: Goon Job: This is a fun adventure tale that should appeal to Jim Butcher – Dresden fans.

PP104: The Book in the Earth: Lavie Tidhar is an EA favorite and he delivers here as well.

PP113: Furnace Room Lullaby: A dark moody ghost story with some great reading and nice production.

PP128: Bone Mother: A wonderful take on the Baba Yaga myth.

PP167: Love Like Thunder: Jim Biyeh opens a window on the Native American experience with some unique and dark tales. I struggled to pick only one of his stories, but I think this is the more fantastic of them.

PP222: Terrible Lizard King: You picked Scattercat to win your flash contest. Go check out this darker offering from the cat.

Edited for grammarz
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 05:15:25 AM by Fenrix »

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 02:59:52 AM
An excellent selection. If you listen to nothing else, do listen to Ep 006.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 08:06:50 AM
I would also add The Inevitability of Earth, which was the first PP episode I ever listened to and still a favorite.  Fenrix already listed most of the other ones I think are the awesomest.  (No, not my story.  "Regis St. George," "Love Like Thunder," and "Everything Is Better With Zombies," if you must know.)

olivaw

• Matross
Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 10:45:31 AM
Nice. I'd been holding off from Pseudopod for now because, I suppose, I'd rather be disturbed when looking for ideas about spaceships and wizards than when explicitly looking for something disturbing. But I guess the flip-side is that I'm missing out on unexpected spaceships and wizards. Or something.

Rain

• Matross
Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 05:49:13 PM
Might have to give some of these a listen, i have only heard a few Pseudopod stories, and have been turned off by them, because they all seem to have bleak endings. I know it is horror but i still dont want to feel depressed at the end.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 03:45:15 PM
Those of you who dug William Hope Hodgson's "The Whistling Room, featuring Carnacki the Ghost Finder" may want to check out Pseudopod 250: "The Voice in the Night." It's a classic horror story set at sea, read by that salty dog Wilson Fowlie.

Fenrix

• Editor
Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 07:12:28 PM
Since I posted this list a couple more notable stories have come along.

The Eater is a study on language and culture read by Laurice White. She did Sinners, Saints, Dragons, and Haints: The City Beneath the Still Waters as well as The Parable of the Shower.

Saint Nicholas' Helper is a great Krampus tale brought to us by PodCastle's own DKT.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Umbrageofsnow

• Hipparch
  • Commenting by the seat of my pants.
Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 07:43:16 PM
The recent Biba Jibun by Eugie Foster (PP#265) is practically a Podcastle story.  I always like Foster's Japanese mythology stories, and a modern day horror version is a nice variation on a theme already familiar to some Podcastle listeners.

Fenrix

• Editor
Reply #8 on: August 18, 2012, 05:16:02 AM

Fenrix

• Editor
Reply #9 on: October 21, 2013, 06:00:52 PM
Updating the list with stories from 2012:

PP278: The Prophet's Daughters is a Greek tragedy.

PP279: Gingerbread and Ashes is a nice re-visitation of Hansel and Gretel.

PP305: Pumpkinhead A dark visit to Oz that captures much of the style of Baum. Except dark.

PP311: Flash on the Borderlands XIV has plenty to offer, but particularly the first story which felt very White Walker to me.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #10 on: October 21, 2013, 07:49:42 PM
Oh, sure, "Pumpkinhead" but not "Wings"?  Bah.  >:-(

Fenrix

• Editor
Reply #11 on: October 21, 2013, 08:10:38 PM
Oh, sure, "Pumpkinhead" but not "Wings"?  Bah.  >:-(

Wasn't Wings released in 2013? Besides you got a shout-out in the first post in the thread. Maybe you should include a link to Wings, monkeyboy.

On a separate note, while Wings is a good response to Baum's work and an enjoyable story, the style was not captured in the same fashion as in Pumpkinhead.

Hilary Moon Murphy

• Palmer
  • Proving the inherent superiority of purple hair
Reply #12 on: October 22, 2013, 03:15:35 AM
Thanks for making up this list for us.  I'll admit that I have feared to tread in Pseudopod's murky depths, but with you as my trusty guide, I'll consider it.  You will be walking ahead of me, won't you? 

What?  The Eat me first sign appended to your back?  No, I have no idea how that got there.

Hmm

Varda

• Rebound
  • Hipparch
  • Definitely not an android.
Reply #13 on: October 22, 2013, 10:24:28 AM
Ditto on the "thanks" from everyone. I'll start with these. I've not yet listened to Pseudopod either, mainly because I like to devour one giant podcast backlog at a time, and after making my way through Podcastle and Escape Pod, I've gotten sidetracked on the Drabblecast archives. I'm 14 episodes away from adding a new 'cast to my rotation, though!

Also, while I love good horror, I tend to be more cautious approaching untested sources of horror stories, as bad horror will make me one sad Varda. I think after hanging around for a while, I now have faith that the PP editorial staff will only destroy my brain and induce nightmares in good ways. I think.  ;)

Medical Microfiction: Stories About Science
http://rckjones.wordpress.com

Fenrix

• Editor
Reply #14 on: December 10, 2014, 08:10:16 PM
So, here's a couple picks from 2013 from things that have not yet been mentioned:

PP331: The Ninth Skeleton
PP364: The Yellow Sign