Author Topic: Questions, Comments, Concerns?  (Read 74581 times)

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #225 on: April 09, 2013, 07:41:44 PM
Restricting to one submittal also eliminates the issue of self-competition and the gymnastics associated with that from the administration side of things.

I think that for the next contest I run, I'd specify one story per author, with the option of extending the deadline and allowing second submissions if there's not enough participation. I think the sweet spot for a contest is between 50-100 entries; too few and it's not that exciting, too many and fatigue really kicks in.

Could also set it at two submittals allowed but cap it at the first 80 or 100 entries. Can throw status updates out to the general public weekly to keep folks in the loop. (we are at 30 stories so far >> we are at 65 stories now get them in while you can! Procrastinators beware!) Add some excitement and challenge to the early portion (will the third edit make the story better or push it beyond the gate and cause it to be locked out?!?)

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

eytanz

Reply #226 on: April 09, 2013, 07:55:25 PM
I think that for the next contest I run, I'd specify one story per author, with the option of extending the deadline and allowing second submissions if there's not enough participation. I think the sweet spot for a contest is between 50-100 entries; too few and it's not that exciting, too many and fatigue really kicks in.

Could also set it at two submittals allowed but cap it at the first 80 or 100 entries. Can throw status updates out to the general public weekly to keep folks in the loop. (we are at 30 stories so far >> we are at 65 stories now get them in while you can! Procrastinators beware!) Add some excitement and challenge to the early portion (will the third edit make the story better or push it beyond the gate and cause it to be locked out?!?)

I thought of that, but my fear would be that that would encourage people to rush in to send submissions, and thus lead to a decrease in submission quality. I'd rather have a non-optimal amount of submissions with a generally high standard (as we have now and did in the EP contest) than a optimal amount but with a lower average standard.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #227 on: April 09, 2013, 08:13:08 PM

I thought of that, but my fear would be that that would encourage people to rush in to send submissions, and thus lead to a decrease in submission quality. I'd rather have a non-optimal amount of submissions with a generally high standard (as we have now and did in the EP contest) than a optimal amount but with a lower average standard.

I agree with eytan, although the idea has a worthwhile goal in mind, it encourages behavior that I don't think any of us want.  I like your idea, eytan, for allowing 1 submission per author, but with the option of bumping that up to 2 if submission is lacking (although it can be hard to determine if submission is lacking if most people submit at the last minute anyway).

MCWagner

• Wins
  • Hipparch
Reply #228 on: April 09, 2013, 11:29:12 PM
When are the semifinals supposed to start?  I'm afraid our ideas and comments have greatly increased the amount of work for the moderators and caused a delay...

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #229 on: April 10, 2013, 01:51:03 AM
Well group 14 has to end first, which is on the 11th.  I'm thinking I'll work on all of the semifinal groupings over the weekend and post them all at once either Sunday or Monday.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #230 on: April 10, 2013, 05:21:14 PM
Well group 14 has to end first, which is on the 11th.  I'm thinking I'll work on all of the semifinal groupings over the weekend and post them all at once either Sunday or Monday.

Oops, I missed the Group 13 tiebreaker.  I was watching this thread thinking that tiebreakers would be announced here.  I didn't notice the Group 14 tiebreaker until you pointed it out, got in on that one!

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #231 on: April 10, 2013, 08:11:55 PM
:O yeah I guess I should have announced the tiebreakers.  Sorry!

Ettan

• Peltast
    • Weird Wild Art
Reply #232 on: April 10, 2013, 11:00:40 PM
Perhaps it would hasten things if we didn't have Tie-Breakers. Would it really hurt to have a few more stories in the Semi-Finals?

weirdwildart.com

eytanz

Reply #233 on: April 10, 2013, 11:10:19 PM
Perhaps it would hasten things if we didn't have Tie-Breakers. Would it really hurt to have a few more stories in the Semi-Finals?

If there's just one or two 2-story ties, not that badly. But potentially, a lot of stories could be tied - imagine if there were 3 5-story ties.

One other option (that I'm seriously considering for the next EP contest, assuming it's still me running it) is that the contest runner will make all tiebreaking calls him or herself. That doesn't seem too unfair to me - I mean, that's just giving a vote to one more person, albeit one that knows who the authors are - and would prevent annoying tie-related delays.

That said, the tiebreakers are almost over, and it really wasn't too bad.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #234 on: April 11, 2013, 04:26:24 AM
Also, consider this tiebreaker a chance to catch up on or reread any stories you may wish to.  That way, when semifinals roll around, you know who your top picks are.

Just a thought :)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #235 on: April 11, 2013, 05:07:38 AM
Alright guys, time for a quick vote by whoever wants to have some say in this.  6  semifinal groups of 7 stories each for a 19 story final?  Or 5 groups, some with 8 and some with 9, for a 15 story final round?

GO!

Personally, I don't think 19 is too big.  It's getting there, but it's still manageable.

ZombieInkpot

• Matross
Reply #236 on: April 11, 2013, 08:45:40 AM
6 semifinal groups sound good to me

JDoug

• Palmer
Reply #237 on: April 11, 2013, 08:46:04 AM
Would 6 semifinal groups of 7 not make for an 18 story final?

18 seems ok, not that dissimilar from 15 in terms of reading time....

DoWhileNot

• Matross
    • doWhilenot.wordpress.com
Reply #238 on: April 11, 2013, 10:41:41 AM
Six.  Final voting is going to be brutal no matter how many stories are there because they're all good.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #239 on: April 11, 2013, 12:12:34 PM
Whichever other people like is fine.  I've read the stories already so the time-consuming part is over.

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #240 on: April 11, 2013, 01:43:28 PM
I think a final group of 15 would make a tighter pack. That or take two 9's down to 3 each for a final of six stories. When folks have too many options there are too many opportunities for voting to be really spread out.

What's the final timeline look like? Two weeks for the semis, a week for tie-breakers (I would be surprised if there's not at least one), and two weeks for the finals?

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

thepencankill

• Extern
Reply #241 on: April 11, 2013, 04:04:56 PM
I think a final group of 15 would make a tighter pack. That or take two 9's down to 3 each for a final of six stories. When folks have too many options there are too many opportunities for voting to be really spread out.

This

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #242 on: April 13, 2013, 07:41:00 PM
Would 6 semifinal groups of 7 not make for an 18 story final?

18 seems ok, not that dissimilar from 15 in terms of reading time....
That's what I meant.  I was on my phone, typo and all :)

It's going to be an 18 story final round :)

MCWagner

• Wins
  • Hipparch
Reply #243 on: April 15, 2013, 05:49:23 PM
Anyone else been having connectivity issues?  I was unable to log in over the weekend.  (Trying to determine if the problem is on my end.)

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #244 on: April 15, 2013, 05:52:22 PM
Not you. It's fair to say, when you have connectivity issues with one of the EA sites that it will never be you. We're working on it.

We have always been at war with Eurasia.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #245 on: April 16, 2013, 12:34:10 AM
Yeah... semifinals would have been started last night, but I couldn't connect until now.  I'll have everything sorted by tonight.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #246 on: April 16, 2013, 06:56:06 AM
Semifinal polls are up!  See the other thread (It has begun) for more details!

Thunderscreech

• Lochage
Reply #247 on: April 16, 2013, 12:07:45 PM
It has begun
Whenever I read this here, I hear it in the voice of the guy from Mortal Kombat.

Stories...  FIGHT!

thepencankill

• Extern
Reply #248 on: April 17, 2013, 10:05:09 AM
I've been keeping my eye on one set of stories in particular, and it appears that half the time the number of votes cast only goes up by one rather than three. Are most people only voting for their top story in each group at this point? I know this happened some in the last round too, but maybe more people are going that route. Hmm.

DoWhileNot

• Matross
    • doWhilenot.wordpress.com
Reply #249 on: April 17, 2013, 11:16:18 AM
I know for myself, I've been taking advantage of the ability to change our votes.  I voted right away for the first one that grabbed me, and I've been going back in a more thoughtful way and adding in my second and third votes. If I thought they were needed.  If I find that a second or third vote is only going to push a story by one more when it's already ten votes ahead, I'm holding back.

I don't know how ethical it is, but since we have the ability, I figured it could be considered ok - I'm not removing any votes I cast, just adding a few in when a story I liked seems to be a little down.  Also, I don't like seeing stories in the semifinals with only one vote.