Author Topic: Where can I get Episodes that are no longer on the feed?  (Read 31273 times)

techknight

• Extern
    • techknight.com
Figured I'd mention this on the new forums:

I run a separate archive feed of Escape Pod that contains every normal and flash episode. (No book or movie reviews.)

If you'd like to catch up on old episodes that have fallen off of the regular feed, give Escape Archive a try:
http://www.escapearchive.com

It's not meant as a replacement for the normal feed, just something to quickly fill out your iTunes collection with.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 06:12:23 AM
wow nice!  ive subscribed so i can get the first 21 eps!
(aah the beauties of creative commons)

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

fiveyearwinter

• Peltast
Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 04:25:47 PM
Is there any way we can get the ID3 tags synched up? Last time I checked they were different, and that upsets my delicate OCD sensibilities. :)

Thanks for providing a way to get the archives!

EDIT: I read your post in the torrent collection thread. Is this something that you chose to do or something that happens automatically?

techknight

• Extern
    • techknight.com
Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 06:05:04 PM
It happens automatically, and I now think iTunes is the culprit. (Before I was assuming the the PodPress plug-in for WordPress was doing it.)

I ftp the normal files to the webserver, but when iTunes downloads them it changes the tags on your local copy to match the details in the post made in WordPress.

In theory though, you could do a batch download of http://www.escapearchive.com/media/audio/ (using wget, WinHTTrack, Teleport Pro, or another such tool) and just overwrite the files in your iTunes folder. You might then have to highlight all in iTunes, right-click, Get Info, and then Cancel for iTunes to realize that the files have changed.

I can understand the OCD frustration, since that's exactly what motivated me to make an archive feed - it made me crazy to think of having manually-imported old episodes outside of the podcast section in iTunes. :)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 06:07:41 PM by techknight »

Granny Smith

• Extern
Reply #4 on: April 14, 2007, 08:45:04 PM
This is a great thing to do.  Thanks.  I've been subscribed for ages but until very recently haven't really had the hard drive space to keep too much :).

objectred

• Extern
Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007, 06:33:15 AM
ah, wonderful! thanks so much.

i'm a very recent ep addict, and i was freaking out at the thought of wasted hours manually grabbing the 80 or so episodes i had missed.

brab

• Extern
Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 05:31:59 PM
Hello,

I started listening to Escape Pod around episode 70, and they are store in iTunes, each of them rated and with the nice summary that seems to come from the RSS feed. I'm catching up on old episodes, downloading them from the site. Unfortunately when I add them to iTunes I don't have the nice summary.

I was wondering if there was an RSS feed with the integrality of Escape Pod, so that I can get these summaries. Or if you have any alternate suggestion, I'd gladly try it.

And thanks for Escape Pod!

Russell Nash

Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 12:08:19 PM
Try downloading old episodes from EscapeArchive. It's a fan run feed.  I believe all of the files are the same as the original downloads.

brab

• Extern
Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 04:54:34 PM
Try downloading old episodes from EscapeArchive. It's a fan run feed.  I believe all of the files are the same as the original downloads.
Thank you so much for this suggestion, this was exactly what I was looking for!

Russell Nash

Reply #9 on: May 07, 2008, 06:11:51 PM
Thank you so much for this suggestion, this was exactly what I was looking for!

We aim to please.  I would have gotten back to you on the same day, but Heradel got me hooked on crack.

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #10 on: May 07, 2008, 06:32:58 PM
Me, tempt? Never.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

birdless

• Lochage
  • Five is right out.
Reply #11 on: May 07, 2008, 08:40:32 PM
We aim to please.  I would have gotten back to you on the same day, but Heradel got me hooked on crack.
HAHAHAHAHA! <wipes tears> Dammit, ain't it the trooth?!.... okay, i gotta go... need another hit.

brab

• Extern
Reply #12 on: May 07, 2008, 09:07:20 PM
Now this is evil. I'm not clicking on any link there. N.o.t.  ;D

Corydon

• Peltast
Reply #13 on: June 15, 2008, 09:31:51 PM
As a new listener, I've really been enjoying going back through the archives and listening to old episodes.  It's easy enough to download them as mp3s and listen to them in iTunes.  However, I'd like to import them not as music files, but as podcast episodes.  That way, iTunes remembers where I've left off when I interrupt playing-- I won't have to fast forward.

Anybody know whether this is possible, and if so, how to do it?

lieffeil

• Palmer
    • spring forward, fall back
Reply #14 on: June 16, 2008, 01:28:18 AM
In your Library menu on the left hand side, there should be a purple button labeled Podcasts. Select it, then hit Podcast Directory on the bottom. In the search engine at the top right, search whatever you're looking for, and hit Subscribe when it appears. That should about do it. The episodes will appear in the Podcasts menu, with a button that says "Get" beside the ones you haven't downloaded yet.
Hope that helps.

...you've got three metric seconds.

eytanz

Reply #15 on: June 16, 2008, 07:43:17 AM
That won't help get episodes that have fallen off the feed (at the moment, anything older than 129). I'm afraid you have to download them as mp3. There might be some hack you can apply to them later to make them count as podcasts, but I don't know what it is.

Russell Nash

Reply #16 on: June 16, 2008, 09:52:03 AM
Corydon,

Two answers for you.

1) For episodes you already have highlight all of the episodes and rightclick "get info".  In the screen change "remember playback position" to yes.

2) To get the episodes, you don't have, surscribe to escapearchive.  It's a fan run podcast feed with all of the back episodes.  As mentioned here, here, and here.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 10:01:28 AM by Russell Nash »

Corydon

• Peltast
Reply #17 on: June 16, 2008, 01:45:36 PM
1) For episodes you already have highlight all of the episodes and rightclick "get info".  In the screen change "remember playback position" to yes.

Aha!  That did the trick exactly.  Thanks a million!

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #18 on: June 30, 2008, 01:28:29 AM

Aha!  That did the trick exactly.  Thanks a million!

Thanks, Russell!

And thanks, Corydon, for asking... I keep meaning to ask, but... well, I just posted in another thread about my headful of crap; I don't need to say it again, do I?   ::)

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #19 on: June 30, 2008, 01:30:14 AM
Is this a thread that should be "stickied" to the top?  The question has come up four times, and I know I *meant* to ask it, too.

Russell Nash

Reply #20 on: June 30, 2008, 10:42:08 AM
Is this a thread that should be "stickied" to the top?  The question has come up four times, and I know I *meant* to ask it, too.

There are so many that should be stickied, that if we did it, you'd have to go to the second page to find the new stuff.  Maybe this thread just needs to be occasionally bumped.

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #21 on: July 02, 2008, 01:39:32 AM
Good point...

Maybe we just need a FAQ.

Who'd most enthusiastic about doing THAT?

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #22 on: July 02, 2008, 04:24:49 AM

There are so many that should be stickied, that if we did it, you'd have to go to the second page to find the new stuff.  Maybe this thread just needs to be occasionally bumped.

If there's any one that should be stickied, I think it would be the "request a thread for episode XX" thread.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Russell Nash

Reply #23 on: July 02, 2008, 10:17:52 AM

If there's any one that should be stickied, I think it would be the "request a thread for episode XX" thread.

Or the original version of that thread.  I see this list getting very long very fast.

semicolon

• Extern
Reply #24 on: July 21, 2008, 11:15:40 PM
I'm sorry if this has been asked before (and I'm sure it has), but is there an (hopefully somewhat current) archive of Escape Pod episodes floating around somewhere?  I remember one a while ago, but I think it only had the first 50 episodes or so and I can't find it anywhere.  I would just really like to have all of them on my hard drive but I'd rather not waste all of that bandwidth.

On the other hand, if no torrent archive exists, and there's interest, I'll go ahead and grab them all and put one up myself.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 12:08:37 AM by semicolon »