Author Topic: Name the Fantasy Podcast!  (Read 75964 times)

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
on: March 29, 2007, 02:49:00 AM
As I mentioned in EP099, we're kicking off our fantasy podcast in a few months and we need the right name.  One of you has it.  We're willing to bribe you for it. 

The Rules:
  • E-mail your name ideas to contest@escapepod.org.  Posting them in this forum or anywhere else will not be valid.
  • An eligible name must have the .org domain available.  DO NOT register the domain yourself.  You can check the Internet WHOIS service to find out if a domain has been registered.
  • Maximum one entry per person per day, please.  (This rule is mostly because I don't want to have to read through pages of randomly generated names.)
  • The first person to suggest the name I like best is the winner.  I am the sole judge.  There is no second prize.
  • The contest ends at midnight PST on April 15, 2007.

The Prize:
A new 2 GB iPod Nano with every Escape Pod episode preloaded on it.  If you win, I'll contact you for inscription and delivery instructions.  (So please make sure you send this from an e-mail address I can reach you at.)

Your e-mail address will not be retained for marketing or any other purposes.  If you do not win, you will not be contacted.  I'm not doing this to collect any sort of information from anyone; I really do just want a name for the fantasy podcast.

Any questions?

ESCAPE POD - The Science Fiction Podcast Magazine

Rachel Swirsky

• Hipparch
    • PodCastle
Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 03:38:39 AM
Will the fantasy podcast have the same pay rate as escape pod?

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 05:04:24 AM
of course now I draw a blank, all I can come up with is the one for when you start a podcast about golden showers and other fetishes....Pee Pod   :P

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 06:17:32 AM
Will the fantasy podcast have the same pay rate as escape pod?

Yes.

Which is a risk, as our standard model is to start at a low rate and then scale up as that podcast's audience and donations warrant it.  But since it's really targeting stories that up to now have been sent to Escape Pod, starting at a lower rate would essentially be cutting the rate, punishing authors for sending us fantasy.  I don't want to do that.

We'll be doing what we can to make sure the new podcast starts at a healthy audience size, and we're also hoping to offer some interesting new incentives for donors.  First things first, though.  >8->

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 06:20:15 AM
Oh, and a clarification: the new podcast does not need to have "Pod" in the name.  It's fine if that's what you want to suggest, but it's not a gimmick we insist on, precedent notwithstanding.  >8->

slic

• Hipparch
  • Stephen Lumini
Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 11:33:47 AM
of course now I draw a blank, all I can come up with is the one for when you start a podcast about golden showers and other fetishes....Pee Pod   :P
You could go witth Pea Pod a la Princess and her bed ;-)  D'oh, now I can't use that one  :P

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
  • Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!
Reply #6 on: March 29, 2007, 11:50:08 AM
If someone were to launch (ha ha) one about nautical adventures, they could call it "Sea Pod".

How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?

Russell Nash

Reply #7 on: March 29, 2007, 12:16:02 PM
If someone were to launch (ha ha) one about nautical adventures, they could call it "Sea Pod".

See Pod run. Run, Pod, run.

VBurn

• Peltast
  • I am just an egg
Reply #8 on: March 29, 2007, 12:43:24 PM
I would go with the most beloved of all fantasy themes, DragonPod.

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
Reply #9 on: March 29, 2007, 01:01:12 PM
For someone who's cynical about the validity of Fantasy as a worthwhile genre: Vay-Pod

Brian Reilly

• Palmer
  • Bigger on the inside
Reply #10 on: March 29, 2007, 04:51:07 PM
Spellcast would be a good name, but the .org domain is registered (though there is no site actually there).

The 21st Century is when it all changes, and you’ve gotta be ready- Captain Jack, Torchwood.

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
Reply #11 on: March 29, 2007, 04:54:03 PM
Spellcast would be a good name, but the .org domain is registered (though there is no site actually there).

Those are both great names.
Y'all caught the part about having to e-mail them in, right?

Brian Reilly

• Palmer
  • Bigger on the inside
Reply #12 on: March 29, 2007, 04:59:12 PM
No point if the .org isn't available.

The 21st Century is when it all changes, and you’ve gotta be ready- Captain Jack, Torchwood.

Brian Reilly

• Palmer
  • Bigger on the inside
Reply #13 on: March 29, 2007, 05:04:36 PM
i think the next step is a crime podcast, featuring lots of British policemen.

PLODPOD.

Brian Reilly

• Palmer
  • Bigger on the inside
Reply #14 on: March 29, 2007, 05:15:00 PM
A podcast teaching you how to take care of your lawn- sodpod

A joint venture with Frank Key- oddpod

A fishing podcast- rodpod

Religious podcast- Godpod

Jewish religious podcast G-DP-D

A podcast dedicated to potatoes spudpod

Tips for doing up your home padpod

A horror podcast for sysadmins- sudopod

The tongue twister podcast- PeterPiperPickedAPeckOfPickledPeppersPod (I haven't checked, but I'll bet the .org is available)

ClintMemo

• Hipparch
Reply #15 on: March 29, 2007, 05:19:57 PM
A podcast about tentacled creatures - cephalopod

A podcast about the lowest form of humor - Punpod

A podcast about palindromes - Dopod

Life is a multiple choice test. Unfortunately, the answers are not provided.  You have to go and find them before picking the best one.

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #16 on: March 29, 2007, 05:55:04 PM
I think the one of the best names for this podcast is already taken by those Farpoint guys:  The Dragon Page.

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

slic

• Hipparch
  • Stephen Lumini
Reply #17 on: March 29, 2007, 07:39:10 PM
I sent in that suggestion via email this morning before this post (the .org domain is still available) - but it got me to wonder how many repeats Steve will get in the mail.
With only one per person per day, I'm still sure he's going to get 50-100 a day, so it's too much to ask that he post them to see what's already been suggested - but is it possible to tell us the really really common ones, so we won't fill your inbox with "as wells"
I know DragonPod came to mind immediately for me (and I'm not all that sure I was the first), but I'll bet there's another 3-4 emails with the same idea by now.

Josh

• Palmer
Reply #18 on: March 30, 2007, 10:37:23 AM
Awww man, I though of dragonpod too last night. And I thought I was being original.

Rachel Swirsky

• Hipparch
    • PodCastle
Reply #19 on: March 30, 2007, 02:14:25 PM
I can't think of a bloody thing. I searched dictionary.com for *pod, pod*, and *pod*. Arthropod, it opined. Theropod? No. No.

I think there's a mythical creature called an "onipod" or something, but that really won't do either. Does that name say fantasy to you? Me either.

On principle, I stand in opposition to DragonPod.

Rachel Swirsky

• Hipparch
    • PodCastle
Reply #20 on: March 30, 2007, 02:17:07 PM
Okay, a group of whales is called a pod, right? So perhaps a grouping of some kind of mythical sea creature could also be referred to as a pod?

A Pod of Krakens, a Pod of Mermaids, a Pod of Sea Serpents, a Pod of Seasick Cecils... or, perhaps, not.

slic

• Hipparch
  • Stephen Lumini
Reply #21 on: March 30, 2007, 03:27:52 PM
I thought I had it with Adventure Inn (Adventuring at the Adventure inn ;D) - but they are already taken - bah!

On principle, I stand in opposition to DragonPod.
Too obvious/common?

Jim

• HP Lovecraft's 275,892nd biggest fan.
  • Matross
Reply #22 on: March 30, 2007, 03:41:06 PM
Steve, should we all be using the same exact subject header so that you can filter on them and weed out any spam?

My imaginary omnipotent friend is more real that your imaginary omnipotent friend.

Russell Nash

Reply #23 on: March 30, 2007, 03:59:42 PM
Thieve's World, Discworld, PodWorld..

I didn't think of Dragonpod, because I thought everything with dragon was taken nine times over.

slic

• Hipparch
  • Stephen Lumini
Reply #24 on: March 30, 2007, 04:11:09 PM
That's a good point - this is harder than I thought it would be - about half of what I think is cool is gone already.  Thankfully .org is less consumed than .com - but still a good bunch of my ideas are already claimed...