Author Topic: Problem with site  (Read 3457 times)

Max e^{i pi}

• Hipparch
  • Have towel, will travel.
on: September 17, 2013, 02:03:40 PM
I can't seem to get out of the mobile version on the site.
I did everything I could from my end: flushed cache and cookies, manually adjusted my user agent and tried different browsers.
Must be something server-side.

Cogito ergo surf - I think therefore I network

Registered Linux user #481826 Get Counted!

matweller

• EA Staff
Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 03:08:20 PM
It does that periodically and I'm not sure why. It doesn't seem to happen in conjunction with anything I do to it, but I don't know if one of the other contributors has more insight. I'll ask around...

Max e^{i pi}

• Hipparch
Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 03:58:54 PM
It's a Wordpress site, yes?
Pass it forward to their tech support. From this end it looks like a broken script. I think the backend of Wordpress is php, unfortunately my php is rather rudimentary.
And I no longer am experiencing this problem...

matweller

• EA Staff
Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 08:13:10 PM
Well, I just made the unilateral decision to install the latest updates and see if that helps. It's not really my place, so if there's a new producer next week, it's been real. ;)

Max e^{i pi}

• Hipparch
Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 06:50:52 AM
Updates are a good thing. Aside from bug fixes and features, they also provide much-needed security patches.
You need a really good reason not to update. One of the few reasons that I know of for not updating is when the update will break legacy software. For example: my previous workplace was using an older version of the Oracle Database engine because the newer versions aren't actually supported by the frontend that they use.

yicheng

• Matross
Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 02:59:53 PM
I had this problem, too.  It looks like purging the browser cache and reloading the page solves the problem. 

Typically, this is caused by client-side script caching or storing of cookies from before the site was upgraded.   Unfortunately, it's not really avoidable without added complexity in code and/or degradation in website performance.

matweller

• EA Staff
Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 04:01:24 PM
How would a browser cache a mobile version of a site that it never saw?

Max e^{i pi}

• Hipparch
Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 05:28:52 PM
No. The browser cached the faulty script OR cached a good script that misbehaved because it was running off old data.

Max e^{i pi}

• Hipparch
Reply #8 on: September 23, 2013, 05:32:03 PM
I had this problem, too.  It looks like purging the browser cache and reloading the page solves the problem. 

Typically, this is caused by client-side script caching or storing of cookies from before the site was upgraded.   Unfortunately, it's not really avoidable without added complexity in code and/or degradation in website performance.

I don't think that was the problem since I encountered it in an entirely different browser that had never seen the site before.